Stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid question

OK, what is this "butterfly" backstrap cut and how is it done? I usually take the long backstrap after trimming all outside junk off and then just start cutting medallions off at thicknesses I want. It seems tough most of the time. When getting butterfly backstrap back from the processor, they always seem way more tender. How does the processor cut it to make such a difference?

does the processor butterfly and tenderize? only thing I can think of.

Comment

Butterflying refers to making a cut lengthwise, going almost all the way through so you can lay it open and fill with various goodies. See the "Boudin Stuffed Backstrap" recipe in this section.

Comment

J,the best way I know to make those backstrap steaks tender,is to pound them with a tenderizing hammer.You chicken fry those babies up and make some white cream gravy and mashed potatoes and you got yourself some darn good eating.There are a lot of ways to cook backstrap,but tenderized and chicken fried has to be my favorite.

Comment

I know about the pounding but these don't need it the way they are cut. I think what they may do is somehow find the secret grain in the loin.. LOL I am guessing they lay the loin down on the table, cut about a 6" piece off, then lay it open with a cut to have a connected piece of 2 sides about 1/4"-1/2" thick... and somehow they are more tender (easier to chew) than just cutting off a 1/4" piece medallion off the end of the loin laying on the table. ANyways, that is my guess... when I tell the processor to butterfly them, I'd like to know exactly what they do. Next time I am going to get them to show me what they do.

Comment

Hey,maybe you should shoot a nice fat doe instead of an old tough buck .

Comment

OK, imagine you have a single canned biscuit standing on it's edge so it looks like a wheel ready to roll away. If you took a knife and sliced almost, but not quite all the way through, you would have a butterflied biscuit. It would look kind of like the number "8."

The only reason I know of for butterflying a cut of meat is to make it larger. A single cut of a venison backstrap is what, maybe two inches across? If you butterfly a 3 inch hunk of backstrap, you have a steak about 2 inches wide and 4 inches long. You can pound it down a bit and make it even larger - perfect for chicken frying.

To get the most from a backstrap, make sure you cut away the "silverskin" before cooking. Silverskin is a the shiney white tendon like substance along one side of the meat. Just work a sharp knife underneath and cut it off like you would to remove a filet from the skin of a fish.

Dave S
              Last edited by DaveS903; 01-22-2008, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JTS View Post
                OK, what is this "butterfly" backstrap cut and how is it done? I usually take the long backstrap after trimming all outside junk off and then just start cutting medallions off at thicknesses I want. It seems tough most of the time. When getting butterfly backstrap back from the processor, they always seem way more tender. How does the processor cut it to make such a difference?

Not a stupide question at all...just a stupid person asking it!

P.S. - You going to call someone....leave a message if you want them to return the call. They might be busy, in a meeting or generally not available. They won't return calls, without a message...
                Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
                  P.S. - You going to call someone....leave a message if you want them to return the call. They might be busy, in a meeting or generally not available. They won't return calls, without a message...
                  Is that to me? I dont remember trying to call you anytime recently.

Comment

Go to www.askthemeatman.com this sight will show you all the cuts of meat and you can get a dvd on how to process deer.

Comment

Originally posted by JTS View Post
                      Is that to me? I dont remember trying to call you anytime recently.

Hum...your number..832-721-2565?

Calls on 1/18 and 1/22.
                      Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

nope, not mine... but after further research googling, it appears to be the Blue Oyster Club main line. What you up to, Gary? LMAO

seriously, not my number dude.. sounds like you have a stalker.
                        Last edited by JTS; 01-24-2008, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X