2020-2021 Hill Country Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020-2021 Hill Country Hunting Thread

Didn't see a new year thread, so started one.
    Just got back from San Saba & things are green & pretty. Ground is getting dry ,but still looking nice so far. I have been up for a couple of days at a time for the last 3 weeks. Deer not hitting corn much at all, but are starting to hit the protein again. Deer are looking good & bucks starting to get some growth going. Did some mowing & general spring cleanup. Hunted a few times ,but no luck on turkeys or hogs.

We went up this past weekend to Llano and the creeks were still running. Tank was almost full and everything is green, green, green. We did some mowing and filled up the protein feeders. The deer on our place have been hammering the protein hard so far this year, compared to last year.

We definitely need some more rain as it was dusty riding around on the roads.

Comment

Just got back as well from just north of Fredericksburg. It is nice and green but there are areas already starting to get a little brown. Our creeks are flowing nice but we need rain or it will be bad this summer. We have more Turkey and any other year on the place but recently started feeding milo heavy. Its crazy the numbers of all kinds of birds around now. Saw a lot of deer, and buddy got a nice Tom. I got one a few weeks ago.

Comment

I've been out on our lease near llano for the past 2 weeks doing maintenance and working on projects. Rattlesnakes are everywhere but things are looking good so far.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Things are good in Nw Burnet co., food plots look great,everybody's fat and happy on cottonseed, protein and corn. Saw my first fawn last week.Look likes summer is here.Nice snake hook^

Comment

Just got back from the ranch in San Saba. Things are getting dry. We missed good rains on both sides of us today. Sure could use it. Even being dry,the deer still aren't hammering the protein yet. Watched some deer pick up a little corn ,but then they just wandered off browsing on forbs etc as they moved along. Most of the bucks are close to splitting off brows & a few have already. Does are getting Big & some looked like they would pop at any time.

Comment

Glad you started the thread this year, and glad I finally stumbled across it. March and April were quite amazing with the rain, but we are drying up quick. We missed most of the rain today as well, but I’m thankful for the few tenths we received.
              Water well #5 will hopefully be drilled this week to bring some water to an area of the ranch that needs. I haven’t been down in over a month, so hopefully I’ll get down this weekend and check cameras.

Comment

We got some good rain at pur acres in Kerrville. Deer everywhere and exotics too. Havent started feeding yet. Will start next month. I may put out some protein this year.

Comment

We only had 0.2” today. Praying for a few inches this weekend!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                    We only had 0.2” today. Praying for a few inches this weekend!

We ended up with .11. Same thought here with this weekend. Told my wife we may load& go back up. Maybe it will rain if I make plans to do something outside. LOL!

Comment

Rocksprings has been getting pounded with rain it seems like this year. Grasses were super green! Deer are hitting corn pretty good and now starting to hit the protein good as well. Axis have been almost non existent at the feeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
                        I've been out on our lease near llano for the past 2 weeks doing maintenance and working on projects. Rattlesnakes are everywhere but things are looking good so far.

I have heard that the killing of rattlesnakes is resulting in the selective increase of rattlesnakes with smaller or no rattle! I'm not judging, here. It is unsettling, none the less.

Comment

One of the guys on our lease found the shed from the year prior to my 2018 target buck. He blew up like crazy!

Comment

I hope that shed wasn’t in his feed pen the whole time.....

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                              I hope that shed wasn’t in his feed pen the whole time.....
                              Haha luckily it was not, it was by a gate though we all use frequently, closer to another guys feeder my buck use to also go to

Comment

Working...
                              X