No announcement yet.

East Tx Deer Numbers Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trinity Co here, so far I am seeing pretty average buck/doe populations compared to the last 7 yrs on our place.. However we are noticing a drop off in fawns that made it thru. We had a picture yesterday with 7 doe, none had fawns with them. We may have to get more serious about shooting coyotes moving forward

Comment

Originally posted by bollomb View Post
      Trinity Co here, so far I am seeing pretty average buck/doe populations compared to the last 7 yrs on our place.. However we are noticing a drop off in fawns that made it thru. We had a picture yesterday with 7 doe, none had fawns with them. We may have to get more serious about shooting coyotes moving forward
      A lot of times the babies will stay back

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bollomb View Post
        Might have an issue killing a good buck in a few years.

As we are discussing this, that very well may be the problem with low deer sightings

Comment

It seems really counterproductive to me to assign tags via acreage through MLD, but let neighboring properties go to town with 20 hunters filling tags on 50 acres. I don't know how East Tx as a whole can ever have a consistently populated region with two different harvests methods going on at once.

Comment

Originally posted by steven View Post
            It seems really counterproductive to me to assign tags via acreage through MLD, but let neighboring properties go to town with 20 hunters filling tags on 50 acres. I don't know how East Tx as a whole can ever have a consistently populated region with two different harvests methods going on at once.
            I don’t think MLD issues tags based on acreage? It’s my understanding tags are issued based on annual surveys, but I could be wrong? Regardless, your point makes sense.... on one side of the fence is a less than precise management system and on the other side is no management whatsoever.

Comment

I think it depends on the biologist as to how many doe they want you to shoot. I also don't see how you can get accurate data from a spotlight survey in east texas. Its also difficult to do a camera survey with all the hogs. Our neighbors have a state biologist that had them shoot does until they or us hardly seen any.I think they have backed off now and we are starting to see an improvement but it has taken a few years.

Comment

In my experience hunting ETX is totally dependent on the area. There seems to be pockets of good deer (high density) in some areas, but as a whole, ETX does not have the deer density that other parts of the state has. Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the factor is habitat? Pine thickets (like most of ETX) are not conducive for whitetails. I've always observed more deer in far north east texas as compared to south east where its almost all pine thickets. The only area I've ever hunted that held more deer per acre than Llano was a hunting club our family friends were on in Bowie county on the red river. Some pine woods, but mostly hardwoods and pecan orchards. The property is on a strict MLD program. They have shot the crap out of does for the last 20 years. The past 5 years has shown the benefits. They kill at least 5 150 plus inch whitetails off 2k acres low fence every year. It's incredible. Unfortunately, I don't hunt up there anymore after they sold their share, but current members reported the best year they've ever had this past season.

I also grew up hunting in south east Camp county, and I never saw enough deer to justify shooting hardly any does each year. Completely different as far as deer quality and density.

Ya'll might not consider Fannin county ETX, but we just got a new place in Fannin county on the red river. Interested to see if it's anything like the other areas I grew up hunting in deep ETX.
                Last edited by Arrowthreat; 08-10-2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                  I don’t think MLD issues tags based on acreage? It’s my understanding tags are issued based on annual surveys, but I could be wrong? Regardless, your point makes sense.... on one side of the fence is a less than precise management system and on the other side is no management whatsoever.
                  We're on 1700 acres, and it seems like no matter what gets turned in on our annual surveys, we're going to get 6 buck tags and 9 doe tags.

Comment

I really do think the surveys on MLD are a big part of this. There’s not a realistic way to come up with accurate deer numbers via a nighttime spotlight survey.

Comment

I hope I’m not derailing the thread by asking this but it seems appropriate here. Anybody else think that with the high unemployment numbers in addition to the higher cost of store bought meat, that a whole lot more deer than usual are gonna get hammered this year?

Comment

I hope I’m not derailing the thread by asking this but it seems appropriate here. Anybody else think that with the high unemployment numbers in addition to the higher cost of store bought meat, that a whole lot more deer than usual are gonna get hammered this year?
                        No

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, but it will be due to the increased number of hunters and number of days those hunters are hunting. People are going to be outside more than ever.

Comment

Yes, definitely. As mentioned, more people are gonna be outside and killing deer for their freezer. Look at the lakes, bays, surf, etc and that is what the woods is gonna be.

Comment

Our second year on Newton County Lease. Bottom Land with running spring fed creek. I think I see more bucks than doe. I dont know the history of the spot but it seems odd.

Comment

Not derailing at all. The increase in time spent in the woods this year could result in more deer taken. I buy that. Will higher cost of meat factor into an increase harvest. Who knows? I would guess yes?

I was thinking about this thread as I tossed the first sack of corn in a feeder this past Saturday (man it was hot). Observations are always going to vary... East
                                Tx covers a lot of ground and some areas of East Tx will always hold more deer than others. Certain factors will effect some areas and not others.

Now that more cameras are in the woods I look forward to more Pre-season observations.

Comment

Working...
                                X