DIY- minisplit- has anyone done one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
    Do you have a link to this one? The one I saw is $1400 from them on sale for 1286. It did include heat however.
    Thanks for all the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

MRCOOLDIY Gen-3 12,000 BTU 22 SEER ENERGY STAR Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner & Heat Pump w/ 25 ft. Install Kit 115-Volt

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

This is very good info. I appreciate it. For 350 square feet do you recommend a 110 or 220v unit? I have 220 right next to it. Thanks

If 220 is available there is no reason not to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
        I’ve put a couple in. From my experience they aren’t built any better than a window unit, but cost more.
        I'm sorry, but that's not even close to accurate.

If you're not a license hvac contractor the equipment you can purchase online, ect. isn't the same equipment that a licensed contractor purchases from a hvac distributor.

Mini splits are way more efficient and will cost you less in the long run compared to a window unit. Mini splits are much quieter and will make the space much more comfortable as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
          I'm sorry, but that's not even close to accurate.

If you're not a license hvac contractor the equipment you can purchase online, ect. isn't the same equipment that a licensed contractor purchases from a hvac distributor.

Mini splits are way more efficient and will cost you less in the long run compared to a window unit. Mini splits are much quieter and will make the space much more comfortable as well.
          People have their own experiences and I won't discount that. I can tell you that my first mini-split replaced a window unit. I've since put in two more. These things work like a central heat/ac but there is no duct work. For a single room or large space, similar to how a window unit is used they are perfect.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if its possible to run a mini split off of two generac iq2000 run in parallel? The iq2000 has 2000 starting watts and 1600 running watts by themselves. Below is a link to what i have
            file:///C:/Users/jwallace/Downloads/iq2000-inverter-portable-generator-sell-sheet.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Houston4x4 View Post
              Can anyone tell me if its possible to run a mini split off of two generac iq2000 run in parallel? The iq2000 has 2000 starting watts and 1600 running watts by themselves. Below is a link to what i have
              file:///C:/Users/jwallace/Downloads/iq2000-inverter-portable-generator-sell-sheet.pdf
              You could run one of the 115v units among other things at same time. A 220v unit would exceed 4k watts.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rustled Again View Post
                I had a Mitsubishi 1.5 ton minisplit put I a 50x50 sq ft garage converted to a sewing room at my house here in Hext. We love it. Very economical and efficient. Didn't do it myself because they had to draw a vacuum on the system and balance it at start up. Took them 4 hrs. to install. Contractor came out of San Angelo.

Definitely not a diy project unless you have a way to draw a vacuum. I’m a diy guy myself but pay the little extra for expert install. I love mine in my man cave.

Comment

When we were looking at new homes in the Lufkin/Nacogdoches areas 3 plus years ago,we seen a few of the new homes that had mini splits for the upstairs bonus rooms. These homes were in the 400k plus range also in which surprised me at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzaleziam View Post
                    Definitely not a diy project unless you have a way to draw a vacuum. I’m a diy guy myself but pay the little extra for expert install. I love mine in my man cave.

Are you referring to the new ones? They now advertise some of them as DIY with precharged lines so don’t need to pull vacuum is my understanding.

Comment

I have one that I put in the Credit union and always have issue with the drain line getting clogged up, and no real way to get to it other than hooking a vac to the outside drain.

Comment

Got three of them in our Okie place and they are great. Didn't install myself but the next ones I put in I will. Mini split is also considered real estate as in part of the house when you sell. Window unit is not.

Comment

Mini spit's and window unit's don't compare at all. Go with the mini split for sure. We just put one it my grandmas cabin, it will freeze you out. 600 sq feet. We have gone through 2 window units in the last 4 years and finally put a mini split in this year.

My dad did the install so I can't comment on that. It didn't seem to be much to it from what I saw him doing.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiac View Post
                            I installed 2 units in a 1000 sg ft barndominium for a friend.
                            1 had a single evaporator inside and the other ran 2 inside units off the compressor condenser unit.

We had no problems with the Single unit and it cools and heats really well.

However on the double, we had issues with the factory flare ends on the high side line. We used the special lube and thought we were careful not to over tighten but that high side line is tiny.

I found the first leak when we could not get it to hold vacuum and fixed it. Had to get a special flaring tool and learn how to make bubble flares. Luckily we had extra length in the line set.
                            The second one failed later on and he lost some of the Freon. He had a real HVAC man come out and he repaired the leaking fitting, recharged the unit and it is working fine now.
                            Could you provide a link to the flaring tool you used? I have one to install and would like to get it right the first time.

Comment

Are you referring to the new ones? They now advertise some of them as DIY with precharged lines so don’t need to pull vacuum is my understanding.

They do have precharged but those really only work wee if you use all the length on the line set. You can rent the gauge and vacuum pump from tool rental places.

I made one out of an old refrigerator pump. Minor mods to make it run backwards. Takes a little while but was free and works. Use it on auto AC also.

Comment

I would just do a window unit

Comment

Working...
                                X