Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechanics!!! Greasing a new Moog ujoint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanics!!! Greasing a new Moog ujoint?

Ok I know it'ssounds crazy but I got new Moog ujoints and the Zirc fitting in the end of one of the caps - not a fitting you can lock on but funnel shaped with a slot to remove with a flat screwdriver. I can see a ball bearing in the bottom of the funnel but I have doubts if you can hold a needle grease fitting hard enough to send grease to all four corners - one that I changed had 3 cups full of grease and the needle bearings were in perfect condition - the fourth had powdered bearings and looks like it never received any grease ever completely dry inside and the x body was dry all the way down to the center of the cross and was only 1 year old. Went to two auto parts stores - three repair shops and actually went to a lube shop who told me they just pass em up that they are sealed units?!?! Sealed units with a Zirc fitting?

PM sent

Comment

[ATTACH]982771[/ATTACH]

Comment

Never seen that before...

Comment

I'd unscrew that booger and put a regular fitting in there!

Comment

That's a nipple zerk fitting. It's designed for tighter spacers and moving equipment. You can pick up an adapter at parts store or change it out to a standard fitting. I'd bet is NPT

Comment

How many miles on the original U-joint? And are you going to keep the vehicle that may more miles? If not, I wouldn't stress about greasing it.

Comment

hog down nobody I've talked has either but better get used to it!

bboswell at abc they don't have one with a tap hole that small out of about 25 diff ones - one repair shop told me they change it - grease it and put the old back but when I asked them to do that they didn't have one to fit - not even close much smaller hole

frestylest22 can't find one and the funny thing is that at the caps there is nothing even close to em so makes no sense

WItoTX The ujoint that failed was 1 year old with about 15k miles on it and I grease my truck all 13 fittings religously even between oil changes - scary thing is lube shops are just not greasing them!!!!!
                Last edited by chopsknives; 12-04-2019, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Use a grease needle. Tell your Quick lube place they don't know what they are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by chopsknives View Post
                    actually went to a lube shop who told me they just pass em up that they are sealed units?!?! Sealed units with a Zirc fitting?
                    Exactly why I do my own maintenance!

I have no idea as far as the question you asked. If Moog is going to switch zerk fittings and start using that style on all their products, guess I will be switching companies in the future

Comment

Hoggslayer my worry is that with a grease needle I won't be able to force the grease to all four corners not to mention the the basin the needle sets in has a slot across it for a screwdriver making the seat null and void

KyleW So who makes better parts than Moog - just had my whole front end rebuilt all Moog - by the way my Moog ujoint says hecho in Mexico! Eventhough the Moog website says American made parts?!?!
                      Last edited by chopsknives; 12-04-2019, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Can you swap the caps from the old to the new so that you have your old style fittings on the new joint?

Comment

KyleW So who makes better parts than Moog - just had my whole front end rebuilt all Moog - by the way my Moog ujoint says hecho in Mexico! Eventhough the Moog website says American made parts?!?!
                          They are the best I have found, but I'm not happy with people changing what works. Absolutely nothing wrong with the regular zerk fitting, not sure why they'd mess with something that works. My front end is rebuilt with Moog as well.

I noticed the made in Mexico on my parts when I did my front end as well. Hope their quality doesn't start going downhill.

Comment

Hoggslayer my worry is that with a grease needle I won't be able to force the grease to all four corners not to mention the the basin the needle sets in has a slot across it for a screwdriver making the seat null and void

I think you might be overthinking it. I never had a problem doing it with a needle. I have that kind on my f250.

Comment

Take it off and drill and tap it to accept a new fitting?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X