Big Mistake, Lesson Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Mistake, Lesson Learned

My wife decided she wanted to go to the Ranch this past weekend. Keep in mind we have been married 40 years. She has gone to ranches & leases with me probably a dozen times, but never during hunting season. She sees going as more of relaxing and get away time. She has helped fill feeders, put up blinds and general “do stuff” to help me get ready for hunts. Again, she has never seen me actually hunt or kill an animal. This past weekend my youngest son and his wife of 8 months were with us. My son was helping me fill protein feeders. When we went back to the cabin in the Gator to get a second load of feed, the girls decided they wanted to ride along. Big mistake. I always bring a rifle along in the event I see a nice exotic or a pig or two. You guessed it, about 8 pigs ran in front of us and I laid out 2 on the dead run with the 6.8 AR. That’s when the crying started and my wife was screaming “ I told you not to shoot”. Of course I never heard he say anything. Both my wife and my new daughter in law ( she was the one crying ) got out of the Gator and started walking back to the cabin. My son and I of course pleaded with them to get back in and we would drive them back to the cabin. They refused, said they would rather walk back than ride with a murderer. When we got back to the cabin after finishing up the feed chore and loading pigs in back of the Gator, we got the silent treatment. Son & DIL loaded up their stuff and headed back to their house. I had to sleep on the couch that night. Lesson learned, no hunting when the wife is present.

You're kidding, right? I seriously kept waiting for the twist as if this was a Chew story...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ouch

Comment

Gospel truth

Comment

40 years and this just now came up, come on!

Comment

You missed the part where you explain how silly it is to cry... jk.
            My wife would probably say it's weird feeling but not cry. Fair enough reaction to killing stuff.

Comment

Welcome to the country...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No words.

Comment

Wow...that sucks. So, what exactly did she think went on all this time for the last 40 years you've been married and going hunting? Hopefully you're not on the couch too long.

Comment

Ha. The next morning after breakfast I needed to fill a few corn feeders. It was a beautiful Hill County morning. Trying to defuse the situation I asked her if she wanted to ride along. I promised to leave the rifle in the cabin. So off we go. Came onto two different groups of pigs and I say “ we don’t have a shortage of pigs, they’re like mice “. She says “ that doesn’t make it right, I can still see the one kicking it’s legs when I close my eyes “. Uh I know when to shut up. She knows that I will still hunt & accepts that, I just know not to hunt when she’s along.

Comment

Edited: I see you are serious. I also kept waiting for the punch line. I don’t have an answer besides the obvious, don’t take her with you. I always find it odd two people can be married with such different beliefs, no matter it be this, or politics, or other things. Obviously y’all have done well being married for that long!
                      Last edited by fbchunter; 03-12-2019, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I have no words for that...your son should have thought that marriage through a little bit more.

Comment

I think your big mistake was not breaking her in 40 years ago

Nice shootin though! KAP

Comment

My wife would've said "What the hell! I was going for the rifle first" or "Why did you miss the other 6 pigs"

Comment

Understand she knew I hunted and fished before we married. She even loves eating wild game. My mistake was killing something in front of her. I can understand the shock. It was just a mistake on my part thinking it was ok. Never gave it a thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X