Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford 3.5 L Ecoboost in a Ford Raptor....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    I have to disagree. The 3.5 Ecoboost has more HP and Torque. The torque comes on much earlier in the RPM range as well. Combined with less weight like you mentioned, there will be no contest in regards to acceleration pretty much at any range in the RPMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You are correct on torque. But by HP, the 6.2 has more (Especially on the 2016 SVT Raptor). The problem on the 3.5 is the turbos have to spool, and then once they have finally spooled, there is way too much power and all the wheels do is spin. Where as when you your foot down in the 6.2, it grips and goes, constantly building power all the way to redline.

In the 3.5, put your food down, and it's like the truck says "Are you sure" for a second before it takes off, then it's a hot mess of wheel spin. Once the 3.5 takes off, if you can manage the overload of torque, it's quicker, totally agree. But in racing/off roading, you are constantly on and off the gas. If every time a driver puts his foot down he has to wait for a turbo to spool,he's not going to be as fast as say the Toyota team. Which totally negates the point of the Raptor in the first place.

And yes, I know most people that buy them do it because they look cool, and will never give two rips about how the power is delivered. But for my money, I would buy the 6.2 Raptor of 2016 over the current model.

Comment

Ford 3.5 L Ecoboost in a Ford Raptor....

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
      You are correct on torque. But by HP, the 6.2 has more (Especially on the 2016 SVT Raptor). The problem on the 3.5 is the turbos have to spool, and then once they have finally spooled, there is way too much power and all the wheels do is spin. Where as when you your foot down in the 6.2, it grips and goes, constantly building power all the way to redline.

In the 3.5, put your food down, and it's like the truck says "Are you sure" for a second before it takes off, then it's a hot mess of wheel spin. Once the 3.5 takes off, if you can manage the overload of torque, it's quicker, totally agree. But in racing/off roading, you are constantly on and off the gas. If every time a driver puts his foot down he has to wait for a turbo to spool,he's not going to be as fast as say the Toyota team. Which totally negates the point of the Raptor in the first place.

And yes, I know most people that buy them do it because they look cool, and will never give two rips about how the power is delivered. But for my money, I would buy the 6.2 Raptor of 2016 over the current model.

The 6.2L was rated 411/434. The Ecoboost is rated 450/510.

You do bring a good point about on/off gas in racing. It would be interesting to see a heads up race between the two. I’ve not driven the Raptor but have driven a few Ecoboost trucks. The lag is minimal in the ones I drove.

Last edited by Mike D; 12-10-2019, 10:55 AM.

Comment

The Raptor has several driving modes you can set. The default is highway but when you want it to move just plug it on “sport’ and hang on . It will move.

Comment

There was no 2016 Raptor. Raptor production ceased in 2014, and didn’t commence again until 2017.

Comment

Always loved the Raptors just heard they weren’t made for towing payload

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              The 6.2L was rated 411/434. The Ecoboost is rated 450/510.

You do bring a good point about on/off gas in racing. It would be interesting to see a heads up race between the two. I’ve not driven the Raptor but have driven a few Ecoboost trucks. The lag is minimal in the ones I drove.

Ahh, that's a good point, I was looking at the EB in the regular half ton. We had a few of the EB half tons as fleet trucks. For a turbo engine, they had less lag then most turbos I've ever experienced. But the lag was still noticeable. I haven't driven the new Raptor.

From what I recall, Ford's first Baja 1000 with the new (2017) Raptor, it just barely finished in time, with only one truck. I don't think they have competed as a factory truck since. Toyota has been finishing first in the same class as the Raptor. (I drive an F250, not bias towards Toyota in any way). I could be wrong on this, it's been a while since I looked.

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
              There was no 2016 Raptor. Raptor production ceased in 2014, and didn’t commence again until 2017.
              You are right, I just assumed 2016 because I knew the new model was a 2017. Totally forgot they stopped selling them for a short time. Those 2014's are still sweet though. If I didn't need to tow, I would be all about one. With a supercharger.

Comment

If you want Raptor power but extreme plush; check out the Limited package in the F-150. Uses the same motor as the Raptor, tested faster 0-60 than the Raptor. My son-in-law just bought a 2019 4x4 Limited all I can say is wow.

Comment

Originally posted by JBJGS0007 View Post
                  If you want Raptor power but extreme plush; check out the Limited package in the F-150. Uses the same motor as the Raptor, tested faster 0-60 than the Raptor. My son-in-law just bought a 2019 4x4 Limited all I can say is wow.

I just bought my wife one of these and it’s a **** nice truck. It’s really fast compared to any half ton I’ve ever driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JBJGS0007 View Post
                    I didn't realize they stuck the Raptor motor into that truck. That's awesome!

But you can't jump it. So that may be a deal breaker.

Comment

I didn't realize they stuck the Raptor motor into that truck. That's awesome!

But you can't jump it. So that may be a deal breaker.
                      5.1 0-60 on a factory truck. They wake up a LOT with just a tune as well. They’d be a lot of fun to drive for a crew cab family truck.

Comment

My buddy has a '18 and while it has plenty of power towing wise it is scary. The rear end walks all over the road.....way too squishy.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                          5.1 0-60 on a factory truck. They wake up a LOT with just a tune as well. They’d be a lot of fun to drive for a crew cab family truck.
                          Lol, at 450 hp, how much waking up is necessary?!

Comment

My FIL has one and it’s impressive. I didn’t notice any turbo lag and with the 10 speed it feels like it never stops generating power.

Comment

I've decided to stick with my '18 F250 gasser. They don't wanna deal with the "specialty trucks" is what the dealer told me so I'll just drive my current ride until the wheels fall off.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                                I've decided to stick with my '18 F250 gasser. They don't wanna deal with the "specialty trucks" is what the dealer told me so I'll just drive my current ride until the wheels fall off.
                                Those Raptors are a hot ticket right now. I drive past a dealership every day, and rarely do I see one there longer than about two weeks. I could see why they want sticker price on them. Too easy to get 8 year financing on one of them too.

Comment

Working...
                                X