School me on Direc Tv setups for deer camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on Direc Tv setups for deer camp

Direc Tv said I had to upgrade my system. Now all my boxes at various places no longer work. What's the most economical way to have a take along system and what does it cost. I would imagine buying stationary antenna's would be cheaper than systems that find the satellite for you. I would prefer to leave the antennas in place and just carry an extra receiver.

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      Direc Tv said I had to upgrade my system. Now all my boxes at various places no longer work. What's the most economical way to have a take along system and what does it cost. I would imagine buying stationary antenna's would be cheaper than systems that find the satellite for you. I would prefer to leave the antennas in place and just carry an extra receiver.
      Unless you have one of the older type direct boxes you really cant bring a box back and forth from the house to use on several tv's. The best way is just tell them you need another receiver for your house. It will run you about $6 per month and just leave it at the camp. Dish actually allows you to do it month by month so it's worth asking direct if they would honor that also. As far as the satellite dish goes you can find them on ebay or usually someone has one lying around they arent using. Along with that you will need the lnb that screws into the box and plugs into the wall. You can find these on amazon or ebay. As far as aiming the satellite it can be a serious headache if done it in 15 minutes and sometimes its taken as long as 8 hours. Go here https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp and enter your addreess and it will give you a good starting point to set up your dish. If you still have your old boxes even though you upgraded to new ones they can still be reactivated. Thats what I did for my camp. Just call them and give them the number on the back and they can turn it back on.
      Last edited by RaginCagin; 11-14-2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Direct tv basically put an end to this. We had a box “old style” and a dish. We tried to get another box when upgrading, but they no longer offer. I give them 5 years before being out of business. Streaming is much easier and cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by RaginCagin View Post
          Unless you have one of the older type direct boxes you really cant bring a box back and forth from the house to use on several tv's. The best way is just tell them you need another receiver for your house. It will run you about $6 per month and just leave it at the camp. Dish actually allows you to do it month by month so it's worth asking direct if they would honor that also. As far as the satellite dish goes you can find them on ebay or usually someone has one lying around they arent using. Along with that you will need the lnb that screws into the box and plugs into the wall. You can find these on amazon or ebay. As far as aiming the satellite it can be a serious headache if done it in 15 minutes and sometimes its taken as long as 8 hours. Go here https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp and enter your addreess and it will give you a good starting point to set up your dish. If you still have your old boxes even though you upgraded to new ones they can still be reactivated. Thats what I did for my camp. Just call them and give them the number on the back and they can turn it back on.

Same here with Dish...If Direct won't do it, I'd drop Direct.

Comment

I put up a dish at my lease. I have an extra receiver for the TV room and I just take it to the lease and plug it in. I do have to change the setting from SLM to MULTI I think...I don't get of the HD channels(but do get the non HD version).

seems to work for me.

Comment

Just switched from directTv to dish. Main reason was directTV customer service is bad and getting worse, according to my supplier who sells both said direct has been losing customers and money ever since AT&T took them over and they are not putting any new technology into there systems. Dish hooked up a new system with all new boxes and remotes and their features such as voice activated channel search is nice. Got a additional wally unit and remote and using a dish I got from my supplier hooked it up at my deer lease. I leave everything there and it cost me an additional 6$ month on my bill

Comment

Not sure what Directv does now but we upgraded our stuff at the house 2 years ago. We got the Genie Mini's with the DVR. The way this system works is the Genie Minis connect via a wireless network to the main receiver. I was pizzed because that knocked out taking my spare bedroom box to the lease and only 3 Minis can be playing at the same time.

I called and told them I was paying for 5 rooms of service so I needed to be able to watch 5 TV's at one time. They sent me a stand alone box. It works just like the old school boxes. Went online, bought a dish (comes with LNB and power supply), took the receiver to lease and put up the antenna. Now we have full time service up there.

Not sure if you can do the same thing now.

Comment

I started doing AT&T NOW at home. Downloaded the App onto my firestick, take it to deer camp, plug the firestick into the TV, teether to my hotspot, and there is anything I want to watch. At our hill country lease where we have no cell service we have Hughes net. I connected to it with my firestick last weekend to watch football, and it was like watching football in slow motion at times, but it worked.

I have also used the app downloaded on my phone, and plugged my phone into the TV via an HDMI converter to the iPhone and that works too.

I've tried a lot of different ways, and both of these have by far been the easiest/most dependable. I highly recommend it if you have enough data in your plan.

Let me know if something isn't clear and I will clarify.
                  Last edited by Hockley; 11-14-2019, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                    Direct tv basically put an end to this. We had a box “old style” and a dish. We tried to get another box when upgrading, but they no longer offer. I give them 5 years before being out of business. Streaming is much easier and cheaper.
                    I think it is dependent on getting high speed internet to rural areas. Many people can't do streaming because of slow internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                      I started doing AT&T NOW at home. Downloaded the App onto my firestick, take it to deer camp, plug the firestick into the TV, teether to my hotspot, and there is anything I want to watch. At our hill country lease where we have no cell service we have Hughes net. I connected to it with my firestick last weekend to watch football, and it was like watching football in slow motion at times, but it worked.

I have also used the app downloaded on my phone, and plugged my phone into the TV via an HDMI converter to the iPhone and that works too.

I've tried a lot of different ways, and both of these have by far been the easiest/most dependable. I highly recommend it if you have enough data in your plan.

Let me know if something isn't clear and I will clarify.
                      This is what we do. So much easier, and cheaper than satellite.

Comment

youtube TV, Fubo Tv, Sling Tv is the only option for deer camp.....all you need is a roku tv or firestick usb plug in, a tv and a hotspot with a ok signal

Comment

I have an extra Directv dish at the ranch and have a box that stays there. The dish is the same “fancy “ HD one just like what is on my house. Found a local satellite guy that came to deer camp and did the pointing of it with his fancy signal finder.

All of the parts have been upgraded over the years but I have had Directv at the deer lease for as long as I can remember. It’s never been an issue besides pointing the new fancy HD dishes. I just pay the $6 a month for an extra box at the house. They think it is in the garage. [emoji12]

Comment

With 5G coming on quick and technology advances, internet will be everywhere soon.

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                            I think it is dependent on getting high speed internet to rural areas. Many people can't do streaming because of slow internet.

Comment

So to piggyback on this thread, I have Directv and I just requested a new box for my house, and it was delivered and wired in to the wall (not a genie, although all of my other boxes are genies). I took it to the lease where I have another satellite dish, then I wired the box to the dish...it isn’t working yet. Are y’all saying this this method won’t work anymore? It used to, I just haven’t tried it in years. Or is there possibly a setting on the new box I need to fix from switching from the satellite dish at my house to the one at the lease?

Comment

Working...
                              X