Kansas Turkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas Turkeys

I know a lot of folks here hunt deer up in Kansas. I’ve been working our spring outage since the first of March. Finally getting thru here and going to have 7 days off coming up May 6. Figured since the season there goes to the end of May and my license there is still good, I’m thinking of going up and hunt the WIHA’s. I know of a couple places that might have turkeys. If anybody can point me in some other public grounds, I would greatly appreciate it. I’ve hunted deer up around Stanford/Pratt area in the past and always seen turkeys where I hunted and some of the WIHA around there are anywhere from a 1/4 mile to a couple miles from where I hunted deer. I just don’t know what to expect for spring turkeys for that area. Probably be the only time I get to hunt turkeys for this year and want to spend time hunting and not driving all around. Never been east of 35, but know there’s several places there. Just hoping somebody here knows that part of the state and can help a brother out!!

No birds where you deer hunt? Sorry I’m no help. I’m headed up tomorrow myself to hunt a bit

Comment

You mentioned your license from before is still good. Just wanted to make sure you know you will also need a non res spring turkey permit and tag $87.50 in addition to your regular license. I have hunted a little north of area you are going. I would suggest looking into wma's in the area vs the spring turkey leased areas. These lease areas are the first places the traveling hunter hits and many of them are bounded by roads and see hunting pressure constantly with birds constantly being harrassed. If you hike in a ways on the management areas you will find places to yourself with plenty of birds

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
        No birds where you deer hunt? Sorry I’m no help. I’m headed up tomorrow myself to hunt a bit
        Hunted with a outfitter but haven’t hunted with him in about 4 years. Turkeys were on the places I hunted and there’s a few WIHA’s not far from there.
        Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
        You mentioned your license from before is still good. Just wanted to make sure you know you will also need a non res spring turkey permit and tag $87.50 in addition to your regular license. I have hunted a little north of area you are going. I would suggest looking into wma's in the area vs the spring turkey leased areas. These lease areas are the first places the traveling hunter hits and many of them are bounded by roads and see hunting pressure constantly with birds constantly being harrassed. If you hike in a ways on the management areas you will find places to yourself with plenty of birds
        Yes, I know about the other permit. I did hunt some of the places this past fall for pheasant and quail. There is a couple WMA’s and thinking about camping at one of them. Was hoping to maybe get a little intel east of 35, before you get to Wichita. I believe when I buy the Turkey tag, I have to get one in the unit I hunt. East of 35 is unit 6, the area I’m familiar with is unit 5. Reason I’m asking.

Comment

Check Regs on the Neosho Wildlife Refuge near St Paul, KS. Motels in Parsons, Ks.

Comment

I hunt the SE area WIHA stuff and most of the time see more turkeys then deer sometimes. If you cant locate the birds the night before get yourself a crow call and in the morning pull up to the hunting area and hit the call if you don't hear a bird move to the next area. I have killed a few birds going in after daylight also. Trying to get up there myself next month if I can. Good Luck

Comment

Up for the weekend.
              Looking at Elk City WMA and Neosho WMA is also nearby. These are in unit 5.
              Then, in unit 6, is Bryon Walker WMA. Also nearby is Cheney SP.
              Can’t make up my mind which way to go. Weather looks good for next weekend to camp. Rather camp than spend the money on a motel room.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                Up for the weekend.
                Looking at Elk City WMA and Neosho WMA is also nearby. These are in unit 5.
                Then, in unit 6, is Bryon Walker WMA. Also nearby is Cheney SP.
                Can’t make up my mind which way to go. Weather looks good for next weekend to camp. Rather camp than spend the money on a motel room.
                I made a quick hunt at byron walker a while back when I was working nearby. Both setups I made I saw birds. Nice area. They do controlled burns, strip discing and food plots. With the wheat being so tall now they will be in the shorter stuff now and not so predictable like they would be coming to wheat plots looking for feeding hens. Good luck and keep us posted

Comment

Yeah, I’m leaning towards Walker. Never hunted it but drove thru it on the highway many times. So I have a good idea of the terrain there. Plus, I figure it being Mother’s Day weekend, might not be a lot of folks out there and I can even hunt the first part of next week. I’ll end up missing on Bownanza, but this will be the only chance for me to get in a Turkey hunt for this year.

Comment

Well, I had planned to go Mother’s Day weekend, but wife wasn’t to happy about it so I decided to wait. Gonna leave out Thursday May 20. Gonna hunt Byron Walker WMA and camp out there on site. If anybody wants to join me just shoot me a PM. Should have good service there so may try my hand at a live hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                      Well, I had planned to go Mother’s Day weekend, but wife wasn’t to happy about it so I decided to wait. Gonna leave out Thursday May 20. Gonna hunt Byron Walker WMA and camp out there on site. If anybody wants to join me just shoot me a PM. Should have good service there so may try my hand at a live hunt.
                      Awesome. Good luck out there and looking forward to following

Comment

Little late to update, but I’ve been busy!!! Right now I seem to have good service so gonna try to make this hunt live as possible!!! Probably sleep in and after breakfast, check this place out and see what happens. Got camp set up and this is a real nice camp ground they have here.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	2A192612-E260-407D-8170-AB3468D8EB15.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	24652801

Name:	C0618231-C2D8-48F2-82D8-427213C2272A.jpeg
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	24652802

Name:	88D9891E-EF60-4F2A-B495-8D60A88D8A78.jpeg
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	24652803

Comment

I would have joined you for sure if I hadn’t just gotten back from a hunt

Comment

Haven’t heard a gobble yet and wind is blowing, but again, it always blows up here. Supposed to be “windy” tomorrow
                            I have however just spotted my first turkey. Hard to tell but looked like 2 hens feeding out in the open. Was able to close the distance to about 150 yards. Gonna continue down this old fence line.

Comment

Following along. Good luck. Are u on the river or lake side of wma

Comment

Working...
                              X