Revolvers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revolvers

1st hand knowledge only. Not 2nd, 3rd, read some chit on the web, I can read the paid programming myself.
    Who has experience with 1st females and 2nd revolvers. As in reliable and easily concealable.

I like the 44mag ruger red hawk but that won’t work for her, honestly for EDC it doesn’t work for me. But it’s fun to shoot, did a number on hog.

Ultimately it’s going to come down to personally preference with in store handling. Anyone have issues with certain brands or models? So far I’m a ruger fan through and through. But wouldn’t hesitate for a S&Wwhen the time calls.

Mostly in my opinion can’t go wrong with either.

Bestow your insight
    Last edited by Button; 01-24-2021, 06:27 AM. Reason: I put S&M. S&W

My wife has been carrying revolvers for many years. She carries a revolver on her either in a belly band holster or an outside the waistband holster depending on clothing and time of year. Her favorite carry revolver is an older Taurus 38 special it is lighter than my Rugers.

Comment

The S&W and Taurus 38 specials revolvers are popular. Try them out at a range.

Comment

My wife likes her snub nose S&W 38 with Crimson Trace grips.

Comment

Originally posted by locknload View Post
          The S&W and Taurus 38 specials revolvers are popular. Try them out at a range.
          I own both. And, like both.

Comment

A good revolver is the ultimate in reliability, but the second part of your equation can’t be answered on the internet. I have experience with females and revolvers, but not your females. You’re gonna have to work that part out for yourself.

Comment

I had a Smith model 60 pro and did significant work on the trigger to go as soon then and light as it would do so reliably. My wife still didn’t like it so back to polymer wonders. That said she is tiny. 5’ 95lbs.

I didn’t try the ruger revolvers though. The cam trigger mech is supposed to be easier to pull...

Comment

I have experience with both. Never found a female that was all that concealable. But many revolvers are.

Cannot get my wife even mildly interested in range time or carrying concealed. But her opinions were that if it is "too heavy" she would never. An alloy 38 snubby suits her best, but she won't carry it anyway.

Comment

My wife has a shrouded hammer Taurus. 38. Fits her hand well and with standard rounds the recoil is more manageable than the plus p rounds.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife carried my colt snub nose with 38special for a long time, didn’t like shooting 357mag out of it. She ended up grabbing a s&w 642 and really like it and that it’s lighter

Comment

My wife has permit but won't carry. She does like range time and prefers revolvers. I reload and make reduced recoil loads for plinking so she isn't affected by the recoil and it makes shooting more fun.
                      From light weight alloy snubbies to 6" full size stainless, she likes shooting them all.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Definitely shoot one first.
                        My wife shot her brothers sw snub nose 38 and ran like a scared rabbit from that gun. Didn't like it and was scared of the bark.

Comment

All I got is make sure you let her choose her own weapon. My wife use to carry a Lady Smith but settled on the sig P238. I was a little skeptical on the 1911 style safety features but no issues to date. Most importantly she keeps it with her now.m

Comment

The S&W revolvers with the hammer that is covered are probably the best defense revolvers, to carry in a pocket or purse. You don't have to worry about the hammer getting hung up on something. After that again my choice for a revolver for a female would be some other S&W snub nose, after that a Colt, third choice would be a Ruger.

I would look for either a 357 Mag or a 38 Special that can handle +P or +P+ loads. Either way, I would use some form +P 38 special ammo. Unless, she has fired handguns a lot and does not normally have problems with recoil of guns like a 357, then I would just get a 357 and load it with some 125 gr. jacketed hollow points. You are going to loose quiet a bit of power out of a snub nose, but with either 38 Special +P loads or 357 Mag. loads, you will be lethal. I would think using +P loads would be your best bet.

A revolver is really not a bad idea, for a self defense gun, fill the cylinder up and pull the trigger. Maybe keep one speed loader with the gun. Most likely the rounds in the cylinder are going to fix the problem. You don't have to worry about chambering a round by racking the slide, don't have to worry about is the magazine all the way in the gun. I have seen multiple women refuse to leave the mag in the gun, think they are going to put it in the gun, then chamber a round and possibly shoot. That leaves all types of possibilities for something to go wrong. I don't care what type of gun it is, never carry it cocked, that's bad for many reasons. As much as I hate Glocks and Glock style guns, they are probably the best autos to carry for personal defense. The only way I would ever use one, is if it had the trigger worked over. With trigger work, which I think they change the spring out, they are much better than a stock Glock.

But truly a revolver is a good choice for a very reliable, simple to operate defense gun. I just tried to look up the old S&W hammerless snub nose 38s that they sold for so many years, I found multiple other new guns. Looks like S&W, Kimber and Ruger all make hammerless revolvers now days. Those Kimbers look nice, typical of Kimbers. Don't have any experience with any of those new guns. The older stuff, I have lots of experience with.

Comment

My wife carries 2 revolvers. A Smith 642 and a beautiful old nickel Smith model 38 she loves
                              She’s shot all my semi autos in every caliber. She’s shot my Taurus revolver (boat gun) and likes it a lot. She’s just partial to both her S&W’s

Comment

Working...
                              X