Killin nubbin bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killin nubbin bucks

Whats yall thoughts on shootin nubbin bucks. A handfull of the kids this past weekend had never shot a deer and well, one kid shot 2 nubbins 5 mins apart, and u could tell there were a nubbin and not a small doe. Then sunday morning, another one shot another nubbin and it didn't weight 40 lbs. Im happy they got their first deer, but i am kinda ****** at the dads for letting them shoot them. My son and i saw a couple small ones and i told him not to shoot. What yall think on this.

Doesn’t make a difference. First deer is a first deer. They’ll always remember it and the next one is a step up.

Comment

I've killed nubbins by accident. I don't care what a kid kills as long as they enjoy themselves and have a good experience. My nephew killed his first deer on a buddy of mines place that only trophy hunted. Knowing it was my nephews first deer he said to let him take any buck he wanted and killed a small 8, both he and owner were ecstatic over it.

Comment

That is up to the parent/guardian and the land owner/lease managers rules with that being said Saturday morning on my place my two oldest grandsons shot their first deer one was a nubbin and the other a yearling doe. We discussed while going through trail camera pictures what they wanted to shoot and both said the first one that gave them a shot. You couldn’t have found two happier boys or grandpa’s Saturday morning.

Comment

It happens sometimes. If a kid was hunting on my place and shot one so be it. I’m glad they were successful and happy to be part of their first deer. But if I was on a trophy ranch I might want to sit with them and make sure they take the right deer. Of course the opportunities would be more prevalent on a trophy ranch.

Comment

Everyone was happy for them, just hope they dont continue to shoot anything and everything

Comment

No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn’t let my kids shoot a nubbin buck. I don’t know all these kids situations so I am not saying those parents are wrong for letting their kids shoot.

Comment

Well this is a trick question because it all depends on your and your conditions.

Are you on a high fence, low fence or public land?

If you only have four days to hunt this year it's the fourth day and a nubbin buck walks out at the end of your hunt, BLAST IT. If it's the first day of your hunt and it's the first thing that walks out I would pass.

On of the rules I try to follow with taking people out is give them your advice and then let them make their decision and support them. If you have the shot and you want to shoot it then make the shot. It sucks to tell someone to hold for a minute and then miss out on a shot opportunity all together.

Comment

In the past we would congratulate the kid and be happy for them but then later have a talk with the parent away from the child. At one place they would fine the parent but not until later and it was understood before hand. We all make mistakes but 2 in one weekend from the same parent would not be acceptable.

Comment

It's just a deer.

Smile and move on.

And if the kids hunt again then set rules before hand.

Comment

First deer I would smile and not let on it bothered me.

I have a nubbin at the feeder all the time. Wish I could catch him and put a tag in his ear so I could watch him progress

Of course I have about as much luck catching him as I do having the winning powerball ticket
                        And I think I read one time where it might be against the law

Comment

A nubbin buck is no different than a participation trophy in kids sports! Make them earn their first deer. It’s still ok to tell a kid no! The only reason a nubbin should ever be killed is by mistaking it for a doe. If that happens it’s the adults fault that’s hunting with them.

Comment

Isn't it a fawn? Same size as his sister? You gotta draw the line somewhere. I say NO.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Personally, I would never let my kids or anyone hunting our property kill a nubbin buck. With a little patience it's not hard to find something else legal to kill. If someone else chooses to allow it on their property within legal means, then it's none of my business. I asked my son to be patient when he could have taken a doe as his first deer last year. It paid off when a 18" wide mature 7pt walked out looking for a doe a few mins later. I didn’t want to teach him to be so anxious about squeezing the trigger on the first thing that walked out that he miss the possibility of something better.

Comment

Working...
                              X