Does your kid mow the grass????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
    danged if i am going to be outside sweating my b, butt off while he is inside playing games.... the strong work ethics start at home IMO!!
    This for sure. So many times I drive by houses of people I know have boys that are well old enough to mow (teenagers) and the mom or dad is outside mowing. Hell to the naw!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
      Well he's only 11 but he already doesn't ask for me to buy him stuff other than birthday and Christmas. Just like your kid he will come ask for chores to do to earn money. To me, paying him for "work" and then him using his own earned money teaches way more than me not pay him but him always coming and asking me to buy him something. I know for me growing up it was the same. Every single thing I had growing up past the age of 12 was either a birthday or Christmas gift or something I bought with my own earnings. I feel like it taught me way more than just my parents making me do chores for "free" but then them buying me what I wanted.
      This is how it is with my granddaughter. She gets birthday and Christmas gifts, the rest she earns. She is really good about saving for things. We do help with clothes though.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
        This is how it is with my granddaughter. She gets birthday and Christmas gifts, the rest she earns. She is really good about saving for things. We do help with clothes though.
        Yep, clothes, school supplies, the essentials we pay for. Games, toys, junk, its on him. I can't remember what it is he is currently saving for but he has saved all of his mowing money so far this year and has a pretty good little stash. I'm really proud of him.

Comment

For those that don't pay anything how do you handle when they want a toy or game or want to go do stuff with there friends or something like that? Do you just buy it for them or ??????

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
            Yep, clothes, school supplies, the essentials we pay for. Games, toys, junk, its on him. I can't remember what it is he is currently saving for but he has saved all of his mowing money so far this year and has a pretty good little stash. I'm really proud of him.
            She has paid for her own gaming station, laptop and other things.

Comment

Yes they mow and all other yard chores as needed

Payment is all the crap they get on a daily basis...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                I did most of the mowing by the time I was 8 or so, dad usually ran the weedeater. He had 2 acres, 1/2 of which he insisted on fertilizing/watering incessantly....and required that it be push mowed and bagged. The rest we mowed with the tractor or riding mower. I got an allowance when I wasn't in trouble, it was like $20 a week for mowing, picking the garden, taking care of the dog, cleaning my room, and whatever other mindless bull**** my mom could dream up to occupy my time. Dad would pay me for helping plant shrubs, did up dead shrubs, clearing out the fenceline, or cleaning up behind the barn....sometimes an agreed upon amount, and sometimes whatever he wanted.

I went to work at the family business when I was 11 and got a little too independent about my home chores, so then the boat didn't leave the barn until the yard was done, so the yard got done!

My son is going to get his first electric weedeater today or tomorrow!
                Dale,
                What brand are you going to get?

Comment

Mine is 17 now so yes, he will help when he's around. I seem to find myself doing it more than I should since he's become more independent and has more going on. He actually mows several lawns on his own for money since he's playing high school club baseball all summer all over the freaking state and can't really work a normal job. As far a paying my kids, absolutely not. I have told both of them the food they eat, the clothes on their back, and the roof over their heads is their payment for what little they do around the house to help out. I'm not knocking them and they are great kids. If they want to earn money, they can go make it on their own, don't expect me to pay you for earning a tiny fraction of your keep.

*** All of this big talk from someone who bought them both nice vehicle's, pays the insurance, cell phones, pays for college, club baseball, and everything else they could want in life, lol. Mine are self admitted extremely spoiled/fortunate so I don't pay them to help around the house a little.
                  Last edited by rockyraider; 06-11-2021, 01:02 PM.

Comment

yard

I mowed 1.5 acres with a push mower that was a 22" cut and I never got paid nor did I expect to get paid!!!!!!!! I think working hard like this as a kid made me into the man I am today!!!!!! I wouldn't have it any other way!!!!!!!! Kids need to learn to work and help out around the house, Parents do way to much nowadays IMO!!!!!!!!

Comment

I pay my 10 yr old son $20 to mow my yard. However, he has to do other chores around the house without payment.

Comment

Originally posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
                        I mowed 1.5 acres with a push mower that was a 22" cut and I never got paid nor did I expect to get paid!!!!!!!! I think working hard like this as a kid made me into the man I am today!!!!!! I wouldn't have it any other way!!!!!!!! Kids need to learn to work and help out around the house, Parents do way to much nowadays IMO!!!!!!!!
                        Snowflakes......

Comment

Mine absolutely lives to mow!! JK
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                            My kids played so much baseball it was hard for them to have jobs to make spending money so I let them mow the yard each week around their baseball schedule. I paid them a little less than what I would pay someone else to mow it. I explained that other guy was providing his own equipment so he to recover some of that in the price for each yard he mowed. They started understanding about revenue and income at and early age, lol.
                            I paid mine the same as other guys charged, but I told them it was their business and they had to buy their own gas and oil. I did let them use my mower for free. I wasn't that much of a hard ***. But I tried to teach them about running a small business. Either way works, I'm sure. Makes them think about where stuff comes from and how it's paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by duke-86 View Post
                              Mine absolutely lives to mow!! JK
                              That's a good lesson..... Procrastination makes life harder. Should have got out there and mowed last week before it got so tall.

Comment

[

What is a green light card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Green light is a debit card and app that I control and put money money on and can also shut down, review purchases etc. Made for kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X