No announcement yet.

New Lease In Bee County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is boat captain code for something else? Or he just really didn’t like actual boat captains?

Comment

Double post

Comment

Every time I hear of Bee County I think of Ratterrier. He was a legend here. He used to feed those deer Antlermax and kill the biggest deer in the county. He didn’t take no mess and didn’t have time for any boat captains either.
        That guy seemed like a grump, I bet the rules changed every weekend when the leases showed up to hunt. But it seemed like he was going through alot towards the end and most people have some reason they act a certain way.

Bee county is a very nice area, I wish those big Oak trees would come just alittle farther south towards us. The area around Berclair has always seemed like a little hot spot, I've seen and have heard of some really good bucks being killed around there for decades. A friend of mine scored a buck from there back in the 70's or 80's that was over 30 inches inside. You'll know the first year if you have something to work with or not, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
          Is boat captain code for something else? Or he just really didn’t like actual boat captains?
          Yes he referred to “wannabe outfitters “ as boat captains. I think it’s safe to assume he had some bad experiences with outfitters on his place and didn’t want to deal with any more of them. I always enjoyed his post.

Good luck with your new lease Jaker.

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
            Yes he referred to “wannabe outfitters “ as boat captains. I think it’s safe to assume he had some bad experiences with outfitters on his place and didn’t want to deal with any more of them. I always enjoyed his post.

Good luck with your new lease Jaker.

Thanks, I’m heading out this week to get the lay of the land a little bit. Then the fun starts, moving all our stuff from Webb county [emoji2357]

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
              Thanks, I’m heading out this week to get the lay of the land a little bit. Then the fun starts, moving all our stuff from Webb county [emoji2357]
              Y’all be safe! I’m sure you will totally enjoy the place!

Comment

New Lease In Bee County

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
                Every time I hear of Bee County I think of Ratterrier. He was a legend here. He used to feed those deer Antlermax and kill the biggest deer in the county. He didn’t take no mess and didn’t have time for any boat captains either.

T posts are extra. [emoji23]
                Last edited by kyle1974; 05-16-2021, 10:31 PM.

Comment

New Lease In Bee County

Might try some food plots since that area usually gets rain somewhat consistently compared to Webb.

I’m not sure exactly where y’all are but I was north of 202 off the east side of 183.

Turkey hunting was awesome, had some decent deer but a lot of neighbors that weren’t on any type of plan so getting anything decent past 3-4 years old was rare.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                    The Bee/Rufugio county line runs right through the middle of our lease, good deer in the area if you feed and let them grow to 6.5+. Lots of oaks so bow hunting is tough for sure. Killed lots of 150-175 deer over the years and one 31 inches wide.
                    Do you possibly hunt where the new wind turbines are going in?

Comment

Originally posted by CLR View Post
                      Yes and they suck.

Comment

Good luck on the new lease. Bee County is nice. Did your dad ever get rid of that girlfriend or whatever she was?😄🙄

Comment

Originally posted by CLR View Post
                          Yes and they suck, lol

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                            Good luck on the new lease. Bee County is nice. Did your dad ever get rid of that girlfriend or whatever she was?[emoji1][emoji849]

Nope he sure didn’t.

Comment

Pretty country for sure. I’ve hunted just south of there in Refugio county and a little near Berclair. Definitely nicer country, sure miss the Turkey hunting. There are some good deer in that area. You definitely won’t have a lack of deer.

Comment

You might want to check the conditions before leaving the gate this weekend as areas that way have rec'd 8-12"s of rain in the past two weeks and as noted above, that black gumbo will swallow a 4x4 in a hurry! If you are lucky, you might have old gas company caliche roads in place. They buried a tractor at our place in San Pat Co last week

Deer are smaller framed bodies in this area than Webb Co for sure. They are some of the hardest deer I have ever run across to age. They ALL look 3.5-4.5 yrs old. I have pics of at least a 9 yr old that looks 4 . They are a mix of Avery Island deer imported in the 40s from Louisiana (thanks TWPD ) and the native deer, which aren't really S Tx deer either. They have really small ears which can make their horns look a lot bigger than they are sometimes, especially if you are used to deep S TX deer. The only sure sign I have found for age are the black callouses on their knees. If you see that you can pretty much know they are 5 + yrs old. Unfortunately they don't all get that characteristic either I could go on and on about aging and what doesn't work but maybe another day
                                Last edited by buck_wild; 05-17-2021, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X