dove hunt-2020 a bust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dove hunt-2020 a bust

3 days this year, all of the sudden, I can't hit a darn thing. tried my wife's shotguns, still horrible.. went through all my chokes, diff. loads. only got 10 birds with 6!!! boxes of shells.

shot great last year, as all the previous 30 yrs. 3 yrs ago shot a large skeet shoot, 1st and only time I've done it. was prob the only person there who didn't have a 3-6k$ gun, I only saw one other semi.. hit the every clay in the 1st two stations, and did pretty dang good the last 8..hit 71/100. now I can't hit squat..

found out today I have become left eye dominant. I feel too dang old to start shooting off my left shoulder... I know I can't start closing my left eye before the shot... hope my dove hunting days are not over..but missing all the time is no fun

tying knots got to be a pain the rear two yrs ago.. sure simplified my wade box

You tried glasses?

Comment

A friend of mine has gone from being an above average shot to downright lousy in the last two years. In his case it's because he is in bad need of getting cataracts removed but he is terrified of getting eye surgery. I think the frustration of averaging one bird per box of shells may finally outweigh his phobia.

Comment

10 birds with 6 boxes of shells? Dam wish I was that good! But I have that whole right handed left eye dominant thing going on.

Comment

I didn’t practice all year and shot like crap on opening day. Took 4 boxes to get a limit.
          Went with my kids two days ago and shot 5 times and killed 4 birds. Cold front pushed out all our white wings. All 4 were morning doves
          Like anything else I guess. Gotta keep up with it.

Comment

Come meet me at Elm Fork and I'll get you shooting and make you deadly again
            PS: may cost you some tacos...

Comment

I'd be happy to see 10 birds...

Comment

Hey skeeterboud, grab some tacos and take locknload up on his offer. Having someone literally look over your shoulder while you shoot a few clays might spot what you are doing/not doing. If not locknload, maybe some other buddy can safely watch you try to bust some clays and may give you some helpful feedback.

How did you find out you are left eye dominant? I am, as told by several eye docs over the years, and here is what I do to force my right eye to take over since I shoot right handed. Take a small piece of clear tape and place it on your left eye shooting glasses, glasses, sunglasses right where you are looking when you focus on a target. This will “blur” your left eye vision a little and make your dominant vision through your right eye. A cheap and easy fix and it seems to work for me OK. Good luck with this.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeterboud View Post
                  3 days this year, all of the sudden, I can't hit a darn thing. tried my wife's shotguns, still horrible.. went through all my chokes, diff. loads. only got 10 birds with 6!!! boxes of shells.

shot great last year, as all the previous 30 yrs. 3 yrs ago shot a large skeet shoot, 1st and only time I've done it. was prob the only person there who didn't have a 3-6k$ gun, I only saw one other semi.. hit the every clay in the 1st two stations, and did pretty dang good the last 8..hit 71/100. now I can't hit squat..

found out today I have become left eye dominant. I feel too dang old to start shooting off my left shoulder... I know I can't start closing my left eye before the shot... hope my dove hunting days are not over..but missing all the time is no fun

tying knots got to be a pain the rear two yrs ago.. sure simplified my wade box
                  My gandfather had to do the same thing when he was probably 60 to 65. He wasnt a huge hunter, probably went dove and duck hunting a few times a year and would go out to shoot skeet a few times a year. You wouldnt have known if he didnt tell you. He shot like everyone else...average
                  He never mentioned it was a difficult transition. May come easier than you think
                  Last edited by dsliland; 09-18-2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I'm cross dominant, lots of ways to handle it

Comment

Without seeing you shoot the only thing I can tell you for sure is you are not missing in front of them.

Comment

I havent even seen 10 birds in 10 days......least yall have some to shoot at. Does suck that you cant hit em though.....

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
                          I'd be happy to see 10 birds...
                          same here!

Comment

Get some shooting glasses and a dry erase marker. Put a lot of dots and stuff on the left lens to obstruct it a little. That may be enough to get your right eye to take back over. If not, obstruct it further with lines and stuff. Start with a little and add more as needed to get your right eye to take over.

Some continued practice like that may allow you to reduce the obstruction over time and get back to normal shooting. It may not and you may need to block part of your left eye.

I learned this trick from a pro on a YouTube vid, can’t take credit for it but it works. Lots of people have cross dominance issues and don’t realize it.

D

Comment

First day I couldn't hit anything with my 12 ga pump. Second day I shot my single shot 20 and was shooting good. I hunted a few more times with my 20. Went earlier this week shot better with my 12 but still not good.

Comment

Working...
                              X