Moving because property taxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving because property taxes?

Well we might have to throw in the towel and move because of our property taxes
    Our appraisal district doubled our “value “ in 10 years, now our neighbor has been forced to sell and with his sale next year we are being jumped 1/3 again.
    Wife and I just can’t go from $3500 to over $5000 on a retirement budget
    I guess we will let the new neighbors from California make a offer?
    I see others on here are facing the same https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=806703

Oklahoma or Mississippi are where her family are located so I guess Kenndall county Texas will be in our past

I see it as a lose lose, you can usually move a bit more rural and get out of them, but everyone does that so in 4-5 years they pass bonds to improve schools etc and subsequently your taxes, again, go up. Probably more than if you just woulda stayed! All the while your spending more gas and more on vehicle maintenance to live farther out! Taxes, ridiculous! Why are we passing school bonds when all of last year we didnt even go to school!

Comment

Not sure of all the specifics that are in place now, but if 65 or older and homestead in place is there not a freeze on the major part of the taxes paid on a home? I know the valuation will continue to increase, but the freeze should be in effect?

Comment

Can you use a service that protests taxes for you?
        I tried on my own years ago and got nowhere. I used a service and they got my taxes down.

Comment

its getting be very ridicules' for sure, we started out 13 years ago @ $1200 a yr, now we up over $2500, Hunt county / Caddo Mills is growing so much, these builders like DR Horton, are coming an and buying all this land, offering more then appraised value, driving prices up, and they love it... and down side is all these city folk come out, and start complaining because of the lack of city conveniences... its crazy, and the little community is bowing down and making them all feel better by making these changes to city codes and re zoning,

Comment

I wish my taxes were this low

Comment

for now, i pay this, i understand they will double next year,,, and i thought Collin County was bad, for a place like mine they are at $9000

Comment

Do you have any ag exemptions? Wildlife Exemptions? Run your own business on the property?

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
                  its getting be very ridicules' for sure, we started out 13 years ago @ $1200 a yr, now we up over $2500, Hunt county / Caddo Mills is growing so much, these builders like DR Horton, are coming an and buying all this land, offering more then appraised value, driving prices up, and they love it... and down side is all these city folk come out, and start complaining because of the lack of city conveniences... its crazy, and the little community is bowing down and making them all feel better by making these changes to city codes and re zoning,
                  It’s exactly the same here huge influx of people who move in to the area then demand same convenience they fled a endless cycle
                  Had branched out to our area

Comment

I'd fight it OR get you a firm that will fight it ... i did this 3 yrs ago and they got my value dropped over $50k worth the 5 or 10% of saving they got me. something has got to happen as our incomes are not increasing at the value taxes are increasing ...

Comment

The tax rate in many rural Texas counties is just as high as the metro areas. Moved to Lampasas and my taxes are just as high as they were in Round Rock.

Comment

This was one of the factors that pushed us out of Montgomery County. There were other reasons but it definitely played a part. We moved back to Polk County in the area where I'm from. When we bought last year, the previous owner payed about $4500 the year before we bought. We just got our first property tax statement and they raised our appraised value by $100k and the taxes are over $6k now. If our place was in Montgomery County it would most likely be $9-10k per year so I guess I can't complain too much. We are going to protest the giant appraisal increase though. I remember when Dad complained about the $2-300 per year he paid on our place growing up in East Tx.
                        L.
                        Last edited by Pineywoods; 04-26-2021, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I contest my taxes every year and have never won. Been using those companies to do it for me. Prices just going up like crazy in N. Austin area.

When I retire, I'll probably move out of Texas because of taxes.

Comment

All the people moving in from out of state paying premium rates for houses/property are screwing us true Texans! All my wife and I's family are here in Texas so us moving out of state is a no go. It just sucks that Texas is so good for business that it brings in all the liberal businesses and they bring in their liberal employees/ideals... It's going to ruin our once great state down the road sadly.

Comment

Every one of you should be delivering a petition to city hall demanding that they stop granting zoning that allows this. Don't let them forget who answers to who

Comment

Working...
                              X