How do you get rid of cat smell!?!!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you get rid of cat smell!?!!?

I’m cleaning up my mother in laws house. There is a room where a cat lived. I have steam cleaned the laminate flooring multiple times, scrubbed the walls and fan and window and blinds with bleach water a couple times. It’s much much better, but it’s still there. Can anyone give me any pointers? Money is tight as there is a lot of work to be done so I am hoping there is something else I can do. I haven’t tried fabreeze or anything yet. Maybe some Boxes of baking soda?

Have you tried ozone

Comment

A bowl of vinegar helps with new paint smell. Just sit the bowl in the room for a day, it's a cheap experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
        Have you tried ozone
        this.. get you an ozone generator

Comment

Kilz paint/primer is a start.

Comment

Since you mentioned you cleaned and the floors are pretty solid (not carpet), the only thing I think that will help is to close up the house and rent an ozone generator or two and put them in the house and go away for a few days... We had to do this when I bought the facility that my company is in now. The previous owners had a giant coy pond/tank in the front room, and they lived in the back of the building with several cats... we ripped out the carpet, repainted and replaced the ceiling tiles... the smell was still there... 3 days with the ozone generators and it was and has remained completely 100% gone.

Comment

Do a search on Google. Not sure of the ratio but a mix of vinegar and water will map help.

Unfortunately, the urine may have been soaked up by the laminate backing and the subfloor material. If that's the case, your only option may be to pull that floor up and toss.

Comment

Try the ozone. If that doesn't work you may have to remove the flooring, seal the subfloor with a primer like Kilz and install new flooring.

Comment

Along with the ozone ,Take a few bags of charcoal , split lengthwise along the bag , and let it set for a few days. Do not get the instant light type or the house will smell like lighter fluid.

Comment

First step.....

Get rid of the cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ozone generator

Comment

I've used baking soda in problem areas before, and it definitely helps lessen the smell.

Comment

Tear out the linoleum and sub floor and replace it, it’s really the only way to get rid of it. Other wise humid days or higher temps will bring it right back. We had to re-pour a concrete basement floor to get rid of it, seriously. We tried ozone, bleach, dawn soap, vinegar you name it we probably tried it. And it would not go totally away.

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                            First step.....

Get rid of the cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For sure---and when I found a dead squirrel above the ceiling tiles in a building at church (gagger) I used a 409 brand deodorizing spray and two applications took care of it. I also replaced the two ceiling tiles it was laying on.

Comment

A $69 Ozone machine from Amazon. We use one for an Ozone closet at lease and a friend borrowed for a new/old house purchase that smelled like someone's Grandma's house - BANG ran it in each room for a couple of hours before they moved in - odor gone.

If that doesnt do the trick, time to replace flooring.

Comment

Working...
                              X