Oddest Food You’ve Eaten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oddest Food You’ve Eaten

The armadillo and coin thread got me thinking...what’s the oddest thing you’ve eaten?

I will usually try just about anything, but one that sticks out to me was eating balut. It is a fertilized duck egg that’s boiled when the fetus is about 16-20 days old. We boiled ours for approx 20 min, then you crack the top of the egg, suck the juice out, throw some salt, pepper, and hot sauce on it, then take the spoon and dip the whole thing out of the shell and eat away. Craziest thing it you can see little feathers, the bill, etc. All in all it wasn’t bad at all, tasted like boiled chicken mixed with boiled egg yolk.

Hard to say it was odd because it was at a wedding rehearsal dinner at a fancy restaurant, but I never in my life thought I would eat kangaroo. But here I am to say that that is probably the oddest thing I have eaten.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
      The armadillo and coin thread got me thinking...what’s the oddest thing you’ve eaten?

I will usually try just about anything, but one that sticks out to me was eating balut. It is a fertilized duck egg that’s boiled when the fetus is about 16-20 days old. We boiled ours for approx 20 min, then you crack the top of the egg, suck the juice out, throw some salt, pepper, and hot sauce on it, then take the spoon and dip the whole thing out of the shell and eat away. Craziest thing it you can see little feathers, the bill, etc. All in all it wasn’t bad at all, tasted like boiled chicken mixed with boiled egg yolk.
      That sounds like ****z

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't know what it's called but it was a soup at a Chinese food buffet. It smelled exactly like a barn with dried horse crap in it. And it had tofu in it if it wasn't already disgusting enough.

I'll eat frog legs,snake, turtle, alligator,nuts, heart,liver,gizzards, tongue and tripe but I ain't eating tofu. To me that other stuff ain't odd because it's good if it's cooked right.
        Last edited by okrattler; 09-22-2020, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Mopane worms which are actually caterpillars of a species of emperor moth known as Gonimbrasia belina. We were at an African Cultural center in South Africa and as part of the tour they offered us a chance to sample them. Not very tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
            Don't know what it's called but it was a soup at a Chinese food buffet. It smelled exactly like a barn with dried horse crap in it. And it had tofu in it if it wasn't already disgusting enough.

I'll eat frog legs,snake, turtle, alligator,nuts, heart,liver,gizzards, tongue and tripe but I ain't eating tofu. To me that other stuff ain't odd because it's good if it's cooked right.
            Did the Chinese soup have bats in it?

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
              Did the Chinese soup have bats in it?
              It could have.lol me and my buddy were playing Fear Factor except the Chinese food edition. I lost.

He got the easy one he had to eat octopus. Hell that don't even taste nasty it's just chewy.

Comment

Bal it and monkey in the PI.

Beetles and brown sugar off a griddle in Korea.

All kinds of raw seafood fresh off the boat in okinawa and korea.

Grasshoppers somewhere.

My ex-wifes cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                  It could have.lol me and my buddy were playing Fear Factor except the Chinese food edition. I lost.

He got the easy one he had to eat octopus. Hell that don't even taste nasty it's just chewy.
                  Speaking of octopus...on my honeymoon my wife and I were at an all inclusive in Puerto Vallarta. I ordered room service... the "seafood soup."

They could have just gone out a mile and scooped up a bowl of ocean water with animals in it. I was eating it, took a few bites, then I went down to the bottom of the bowl... there were octopus tentacles with the suckers still on there. I about threw up. No shot. Didn't take another sip

Comment

Speaking of octopus...on my honeymoon my wife and I were at an all inclusive in Puerto Vallarta. I ordered room service... the "seafood soup."

They could have just gone out a mile and scooped up a bowl of ocean water with animals in it. I was eating it, took a few bites, then I went down to the bottom of the bowl... there were octopus tentacles with the suckers still on there. I about threw up. No shot. Didn't take another sip
                    I actually like octopus.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                      I actually like octopus.
                      I tried calamari once. Didn't care for it... I think a ton of people would say octopus is not weird. But for me, just cutting the tentacles and throwing it in some broth was just gross. The whole soup was like trying to fit as many species of ocean animals into a bowl at once.

Comment

Pickled Muktuk (Whale skin and blubber). ��

Comment

I tried calamari once. Didn't care for it... I think a ton of people would say octopus is not weird. But for me, just cutting the tentacles and throwing it in some broth was just gross. The whole soup was like trying to fit as many species of ocean animals into a bowl at once.
                          I eat it raw.

As much as I’ve travelled in Asia I’ve had some really odd stuff but it doesn’t work well without pictures. If I get time tonight I’ll post some up.

Comment

Balut. Never again. I was plenty drunk, so I made it through without tossin my cookies, but I doubt I could pull that off a second time.

Comment

Oysters. Nasty little slimy things. I dont know how folks like them.

Boiled squid would really have to be the oddest. The tentacles dont creep me out so much, but the body was in the bowl too. That I wasnt too fond of. Wasnt nasty, just weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X