Temp sensitive powders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp sensitive powders

Just wondering what the most temp sensitive powders are that you have used. I hear the term “temp sensitive” used quite often, but I’ve never really had a bad experience personally. I mainly just load hunting Ammo and test it during the spring/early summer months when it’s comfortable to shoot. I can see where working up a max load in cold January would show some pressure in hot August, but I’ve never experienced it myself. With powder hard to come by I was just wondering about it. I know there has to be plenty of people working up loads with powders other than what they normally use.

Doesn’t mean it’ll be too hot to fire. Can effect POI and accuracy especially at longer distances where minor velocity spreads matter more.

Comment

On the scale of powders how temperature sensitive is AA2520?

Comment

Here is a chart showing some temp sensitivity numbers.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

A quick check of a calculator.... using my 6.5CM numbers

2 powders of exactly the same charge with a difference in temp sensitivity of 0.1 moved from 70f to 90f would differ from each other by about 4" of drop at 1000 yards.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve had very good luck with h4831sc in everything I’ve tried it in. From 22-250 to 300win

Comment

In very cold weather I’ve had varget not ignite.

Comment

Working...
              X