Rheem hot water heaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rheem hot water heaters?

We’re on borrowed time with the water heater we have so thought may as week replace it while things are slow right now. Bad thing is our house is all electric, gas is not available in our neighborhood. Home Depot has a Rheem Gladiator 50gal for $612, 12yr warranty. Anyone have experience with these? Is $600 decent for an electric water heater?

We were in the same situation and then our water heater caught on fire last Friday so our time ran. Luckily my wife just happened to go out into the garage right when it happened or it could have been real bad. We had an AO Smith but will be getting a new Rheem(same model as you mentioned I believe). That is what I had pretty much decided and what the plumber recommended.

We also considered converting from electric to a gas tankless(we have gas in the house already) but the $4k price tag is a little too much to swing right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
      We’re on borrowed time with the water heater we have so thought may as week replace it while things are slow right now. Bad thing is our house is all electric, gas is not available in our neighborhood. Home Depot has a Rheem Gladiator 50gal for $612, 12yr warranty. Anyone have experience with these? Is $600 decent for an electric water heater?
      If you can get it from a plumbing supply company they are built a little better. They are built for commercial use

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Comment

I have two Rheem Glass Fury self-cleaning water heaters that were installed with a custom built house 15 years ago. I told the contractor I wanted a better more expensive water because I hate things that leak. No issues so far. I'm no plumber, so can't advise.

Comment

I have 2 Rheem 40 gallon water heaters. Probably 7-8 years old. No issues so far.

Comment

Good to go in my experience.

Jake

Comment

Just put in a new 40 Gallon Rheem in the doublewide on the place with no issues.

Comment

Rheem makes a solid water heater

Comment

Rheem, AO Smith, and Westinghouse all make quality water heaters. Take a look at specs side by side and compare. Watch the wattage for heat recovery times. How many in your family, and how much usage with showers, washers, dishwashers. I believe the 5500 watt Westinghouse 52 gallon, with stainless tank and lifetime warranty is around $800. My wife loves to soak so on our bath remodel, I put in an extra large 80 gal Westinghouse with stainless tank and lifetime warranty. Now when I have all the kids, grandkids, dishwasher etc. using it at the same time I never run out.

Comment

I highly highly recommend NOT getting a Rheem from Home Depot!

My experience...
                    I bought the 12 year Platinum water heater from Home Depot about 5 years ago. Two years in the control valve went out in it. Called their warranty department and they said the part was on back order indefinitely, so take the WH out and take back to Home Depot and go through Home depot's return process. I mean it only cost $700 to have installed, so why not, right? I called my plumber and they called Rheem directly, and somehow managed to find the control valve unit I needed and replaced it for $150-$200. Two and half years later...same part goes out. This time I call the warranty department, and they have one in stock. Will be there in 5-7 days they said, the whole time we're without hot water. I asked if I could get it expedited, and they said sure! Just pay the $40 expedite shipping fee! I waited the week, and then installed it myself. Our plumber said, the Rheem WH's sold by plumbers are contractor grade, and are much better because they have a different control box. The Rheem wh's sold by Home Depot are made exclusively for them, and are a cheaper quality product. Managing the warranty process was not very clear, and unfortunately the control boxes aren't interchangeable. A lot of google searching confirmed this.

If the WH you're looking at has the Honeywell control valve, I wouldn't buy it.
                    Last edited by crumrw; 05-31-2020, 10:40 PM.

Comment

why heat water thats already hot?

Comment

Had a Rheem 50 gal. installed Thursday but haven't got the bill. The plumber is a client of mine and he likes the Rheem. Also said availability was getting tight with them all made in Mexico.

Comment

Thanks everyone, will look at some plumbing supply houses. We bought the house in Sept and the heater is 14 years old and if one person takes a shower the next person has to wait 20-30 min. Just me, my wife and toddler right now but with laundry, showers and the dishwasher we never seem to have enough hot water

Comment

Originally posted by crumrw View Post
                            I highly highly recommend NOT getting a Rheem from Home Depot!

My experience...
                            I bought the 12 year Platinum water heater from Home Depot about 5 years ago. Two years in the control valve went out in it. Called their warranty department and they said the part was on back order indefinitely, so take the WH out and take back to Home Depot and go through Home depot's return process. I mean it only cost $700 to have installed, so why not, right? I called my plumber and they called Rheem directly, and somehow managed to find the control valve unit I needed and replaced it for $150-$200. Two and half years later...same part goes out. This time I call the warranty department, and they have one in stock. Will be there in 5-7 days they said, the whole time we're without hot water. I asked if I could get it expedited, and they said sure! Just pay the $40 expedite shipping fee! I waited the week, and then installed it myself. Our plumber said, the Rheem WH's sold by plumbers are contractor grade, and are much better because they have a different control box. The Rheem wh's sold by Home Depot are made exclusively for them, and are a cheaper quality product. Managing the warranty process was not very clear, and unfortunately the control boxes aren't interchangeable. A lot of google searching confirmed this.

If the WH you're looking at has the Honeywell control valve, I wouldn't buy it.

This!

Comment

Originally posted by Todd-ty729 View Post
                              This!
                              Totally agree!!

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X