Elk Poachers - Caught

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk Poachers - Caught

I had the opportunity to hunt a private ranch for Elk 2nd season in Colorado, outside Steamboat. It is 15,000 acres and guided hunts are a big part of their business. They had donated the hunt to the local small hospital foundation to raise funds, I was lucky enough to have won it at the auction. It was a crazy first two days of my 4-day hunt. The first afternoon we were in the middle of the ranch and came across a lone hunter who was pretending to be lost. There is a finger of BLM boundary that was less than a mile from where he was. The gentleman was in his 60's, had OnX up on his phone and had a Garmin 650 in his chest pocket - it was a little hard to understand how he was lost, but nonetheless he got read the riot act and was told to immediately exit the property. He had his picture taken by us, gave us his name (he had conveniently forgotten his ID and Hunting License at the trail head which was 3.5 miles away. We sent him on his way as we had glassed a large heard about a mile in the other direction and wanted to go after them. In the initial conversation, he was told he would be reported to the DOW for trespassing, and oddly he kept saying "well just take me back to the ranch HQ and let the GW's handle me." The HQ was in the opposite direction of where he knew we were walking to.... (this makes sense later) We said no, and watched him disappear over the hill towards the BLM land.

Here is where it gets interesting... We get about 70 yards up the hill and around the corner and there are three dead bulls in a clearing about 100ft x 100ft (no wonder he wanted to lead us the other direction). They had been quartered and two of them had their antlers cut off - the third was a rag horn that was barely legal. At that point we decided the hunt was off for 4-legged creatures and on for 2-legged. We hustled around the ridge to cut him off, and we were able to intersect him - at which time he surrendered his rifle to us and showed us he was not carrying a pistol. We already had GW's and State Patrol headed to their trailhead anyway. We knew others were with him as he wasn't carrying any meat and was alone. He would not tell us where the others were, or how many. We had him turn off his GPS as that model allows you to connect with others in your party. We told him we were walking him to the trailhead to meet GW's. At one point he offered us $18k to "make this go away"... it was a hard no... we kept asking him how he got that far in and how they were getting the meat out. Turns out, he was on horseback, and said he tied his horse to a tree up on the ridge and had stayed back to track a wounded cow. At this point we are nearly two miles away from where they killed 4 elk... and he is not in great shape. Told him if he had just been honest this would be going a different way. At one point, we get him to admit to what all went down (all on video) and he pulled out his wallet with license and handed it to us. He (age 65) confesses that he did not tie a horse up, that his brother (age 68) and another guy (mid-60's) (both on horses) were packing all three quartered elk out on three horses. The gentleman we had was from Texas, the other two hunters were from Colorado, and one..... turns out to be an acquaintance of the ranch owner..... We were in a spot where we had cell coverage so the owner called the older brother, who knew they had already been busted... and told him to bring all the horses and meet us before his brother dies (he literally did not look good, was grey and ashy, his adrenaline dump was terrible, and he was barely able to walk 20yds without stopping... and as a former paramedic, I was pretty sure if we kept on going, i'd be pumping his chest in the middle of the woods). So the two others arrive, tail between their legs, we secured their rifles and took them all to the GW's who were waiting.
    Lots of other details, but long story short.... it is one of the biggest poaching cases in the county, and the GW said it was the largest fine, by 2-3x, of anything he had written in his 20 year career. We hiked the GW's back in the next day and helped them with all the work to process the scene. We actually found the cow about a 1/4 mile away, gut shot. They did a terrible job of quartering, left a ton of meat... the charges were lengthy and the DOW intends to pursue loss of hunting privileges in all 48 compact states.

Wow what a story! Thank you for sharing. Dam poachers...

Comment

Great to catch scum like that.

I hope the fines are massive and they lose their hunting privilege's for the rest of their lives

You get a elk?

Comment

Wow!!! What a story! If the guy had money to make go away why not just pay an outfitter to do it legally? Stupid people

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad they got caught! thanks for sharing, great read.

Comment

Amazing the risk people take. Glad y'all were able to catch them. No telling if they done this before on there and hadn't gotten caught.

Comment

Nice work! That’s very frustrating that someone would show complete disregard and waste animals. Four elk would feed a lot of people for quite a while. Now go get your legal elk.

Comment

Originally posted by twdjr View Post
                Amazing the risk people take. Glad y'all were able to catch them. No telling if they done this before on there and hadn't gotten caught.
                Based on a couple of comments, and this old mans knowledge of the area, we were pretty sure they had poached a number of times. GW's agreed, we just got lucky and caught them this time.

Comment

Yall are better men than me. Good job on getting the trash taken out.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                    Great to catch scum like that.

I hope the fines are massive and they lose their hunting privilege's for the rest of their lives

You get a elk?
                    I had plenty of young bulls to take, but was only looking for a mature bull. Day two when we took the GW's back up, we ended up pushing a herd of several hundred over the property line. That said, because I invested two days of my hunt helping the owner with everything, he has invited me back for a short hunt next year at no cost, and he committed to donating another hunt to the little hospital for next year as well. So despite no meat in the freezer (yet), it has a pretty positive win all the way around.

Comment

Disgusting. i have emptied a mag on a fleeing truck loaded with poachers. pretty sure i didn't hit anyone but pretty sure i put some holes in their truck

Comment

Glad yall caught that scum

Comment

Wow

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
                            Wow!!! What a story! If the guy had money to make go away why not just pay an outfitter to do it legally? Stupid people

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                            i'm sure they didnt have a dime

Comment

WOW !!! That is major jacked up. Good luck on the rest of your hunt !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X