Outboard Starting Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outboard Starting Issue?

cts like a bad connection. Lugs down and turns over. Jumper cables from battery to solenoid don't help. All connections at solenoid and starter look good. Turns over great with the plugs out. Battery isn't dead. Could it be the starter?

What about jumping straight to the starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle19 View Post
      What about jumping straight to the starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      This or a weak battery

Comment

I had an E tec that did same thing popped a extra starter on I had and did same thing.Brought it to boat shop and hey said it was a relay.I guess it was simple they didn’t even charge me.But I never saw what exactly they replaced.But relay somewhere along the line.

Comment

Could be the starter , but I would check your battery first. Just cause the battery has the correct volts doesn't mean it's putting out the amps you need to turn that starter.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

Comment

Kill switch isn't pulled

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
              Kill switch isn't pulled
              Nothing to do with cranking speed

Comment

Jumped to starter and same thing. Don't think its battery because it was intermittent and hasn't gotten progressively worse. Just put it on a charger and will see.

Comment

Pull the starter off and see how much lateral slop is in the armature. Worn bushings will slow the starter under a load.

Comment

Finally getting back around to fixing this.

Was going to go ahead and swap out the starter. 18 years old. Lot of options online. Should I go with a quicksilver one or a cheapo? Any good discount brands or brands to avoid?

Comment

I've used lots of Sierra electronics. Power packs, coils, and starters. Never had any complaints.

Comment

Working...
                      X