Goodbye Duke. Another over the rainbow bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye Duke. Another over the rainbow bridge

Duke was born March 9, 2009 and we got him early may of that year. We had a yellow lab before him and loved him as well and knew we wanted another one. We searched for a breeder and one day my nephew had a friend who’s dog had a littler and we ended up selecting Duke. As any owner of any young lab would tell you I was not looking forward to the chewing, digging and running off to the pond at the farm but was willing to take on the task again. However once we brought Duke home we knew he was different. Not once did he ever chew anything and he hated the water. This was a first for my wife and I as the lab before ate everything and swam every time he had the chance. 2 years later we had our daughter and I was worried about how he would react to a small child in the house because he was still a puppy at heart and loved running and being clumsy. The first night we brought him home he slept by her and was by her side every chance he would get. Many nights he would lay in her bedroom until she fell asleep then he would come join us. In August 2020 he started breathing heavy and drinking non stop we took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with diabetes. Knowing it would be a task we agreed to give give him insulin twice a day. However the insulin would not work like it supposed to but it at least controlled his breathing and drinking. I September 2020 he started having problems getting up in his own and would urinate when he would try. Several times a night we would have to get him up and take him out. He was no longer able to hold his bladder and we started having to leave him outside. Over the weekend we went to the farm not knowing it would be his last trip. He walked and peed on every tree he could but still not able to move around on his own. On Monday I came home from work and he could barley move and. We the time was getting close to say goodbye. We made the decision to put up down due to the quality of life was not there. About 3 pm my daughter gets home and we break the news to her. Our 9 year old just found out our 11 year old lab was about to be put to sleep. This hurt my heart more than anything. We hugged and pet and loved each other for the next couple hours. Then at 6pm my wife and I layed in the floor of the vet office with duke while we said our goodbyes and he took his last breath. I will never understand why we get so attached to animals but this one hurt real bad and I miss him so much. Things are not the same without him for sure and it’s going to be different without you buddy. Until we meet again RIP Duke.
    Attached Files

Beginning and last day
    Attached Files

Comment

How he would greet me when I’d get home
      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for your loss. They really are part of the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounded like a great dog and gone much too soon. Prayers for healing. I am glad you were there at the end; it's the least we can do for them.

Comment

Wonderful story of his life.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. It’s hard when they go. I had to let my Doberman go after 13 years last Friday after he took a bad fall and broke his leg. He was my once in a lifetime dog, an angel for me and he helped me pick up the pieces when no one else could. I’ll miss him until I join him.

Comment

Man,what a good ol' friend.Someone said it yesterday.Dog's just don't live as long as they should.Rest in peace Duke.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

[ATTACH]1022466[/ATTACH]

Comment

I’m so so sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family.

Comment

Prayers Up. It got real foggy in here.

Comment

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your family member my friend

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                          Sorry for your loss. It’s hard when they go. I had to let my Doberman go after 13 years last Friday after he took a bad fall and broke his leg. He was my once in a lifetime dog, an angel for me and he helped me pick up the pieces when no one else could. I’ll miss him until I join him.
                          I'm very sorry to hear of your loss

Comment

Looked like a fine ol' fella...…………..
                            Sorry...…..……...

Comment

Sorry for your loss Sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X