Black rifles- tell me about them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black rifles- tell me about them

I am old. My last experiences with black rifles were the early models of the M16. Coming from M1 Garands and M14s, I was not impressed with them.
    However, I now find myself with a need for a rapid firing weapon, a Sig Echo sight, and old eyes that need to mount the sight 18" or more from my eyes. Been looking at black rifles with picatinny rails that extend way out the barrel.
    It is for hogs with max range of about 150 yds. What do yall recommend for a good, solid, reliable rifle that will fill the bill.

Stag Arms

Comment

Not sure about your budget but Larue builds a nice AR.

Comment

AR-15s are fun. Like Legos for grown ups. In .223 or 556 if you are disciplined to head shots or shoot a really tough bullet they will handle the pigs. I have killed them with .223, .300 blackout and 7.62x39 in the AR platform. Personally, I have not been impressed with any of them but I hunt primarily after dark so after my first shot I am slinging lead at running hogs. It will absolutely do the trick and if you are stand hunting they have a lot to offer.

Comment

I have a Sig "AR" in .308 with an EOTECH redot.
          Info here:
          The SIG TREAD and the M400 is easily customizable direct impingement systems designed and built in the USA with the most sought-after features for today’s semi automatic hunting AR rifles.

Easy to shoot and will stop anything I care to hunt. I'm going to add one of the tip off 3x magnifiers to help my old eyes with the longer shots.

Great rifles, easy to shoot and about the softest shooting .308 you can get.

Comment

A ton of options. Complete rifles from $500 to $4000. Over 1/2 dozen calibers to choose from. All on the AR 15 platform. And then you start exploring the AR 10. Establishing a price point may help to narrow the field a bit.

For pigs, my favorite, in an AR 15, would be a 6.8 SPC II or a 6.5 Grendel or in an AR10 a .308.

YMMV. I am sure you will get a ton of great advice and everyone has a pet. Good luck in your quest.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Bad Bass View Post
              A ton of options. Complete rifles from $500 to $4000. Over 1/2 dozen calibers to choose from. All on the AR 15 platform. And then you start exploring the AR 10. Establishing a price point may help to narrow the field a bit.

For pigs, my favorite, in an AR 15, would be a 6.8 SPC II or a 6.5 Grendel or in an AR10 a .308.

YMMV. I am sure you will get a ton of great advice and everyone has a pet. Good luck in your quest.
              Good advice here. If I could go back and re-choose my first AR caliber, it'd be a grendel (I have two now).

Comment

Grendel is the king ding a ling IMO. Just depends on what you are looking for. I’d be glad to answer some specific questions but there are too many variables to list them all. You can basically get an AR that will do anything you want nowadays.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

If I had to choose the best all around caliber and rifle for under $1000 I would go with the Larue Ultimate Upper Kit in 6.5grendel. You can deer hunt with it, shoot pigs with it, and just go and shoot at the range. It is an ar15 and built like a tank.

If you go this route I would give them a call and see if you can have them put it together on one of their lowers if you don't want to have to deal with building it.

LaRue Tactical the Dead Center of Precision. Scope Mounts, Light Mounts, Uppers and Lowers all Made in the USA!

Comment

A budget would really help.

Comment

For AR15 lowers. You can get uppers for these chambers.
                      .204Ruger, 223/5.56, 300blackout, 7.62x39, 6.5 grendel, 450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf. I might have left one or two out. But these are the popular calibers.
                      A basic AR can be had for the $400 range now and the sky is the limit for the expensive way. Just get a stripped lower...Buy a good lower parts kit and a good trigger like a LaRue MBT and get multiple uppers. You will have it all.

Comment

Keep it simple. 223 ammo is cheap and readily available. If you aren’t buying a top-of-the-line rifle, plan to spend another $80-$150 on a trigger.

Comment

Stick with the 15 platform...the 10's are just too heavy / bulky.

If it's not going to be a high volume / tactical rig, then go with a 300 Blackout, 6.5 / 6.8spc for a hog hunting rig.

I'm curious as to why a traditional scope won't work for your needs. I run a 2-12 VX6 leupold on my main 300 BO & it's only 12.5". The 1-6x is a good combo close range / hunting. 18" eye relief is something I haven't run across.
                          Last edited by Artos; 12-09-2019, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I do custom builds, if you're interested shoot me a PM. I can work with any budget.

Comment

A basic AR in 6.8 SPC fills my needs, and it will fill yours too.

Comment

Working...
                              X