No announcement yet.

Richland Creek South hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know if the 3000 acre Tarrant Co Water District property along the south boundary(across Ranch Rd) of the WMA is hunted by anyone? I know it isn't part of the WMA hunting area but just curious if that is another "forbidden zone" like it is below the dam.

Comment

I think its leased for oil/gas and some hunting too, there is some state penitentiary land on the other side of the river they do the same thing with.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
        Anyone know if the 3000 acre Tarrant Co Water District property along the south boundary(across Ranch Rd) of the WMA is hunted by anyone? I know it isn't part of the WMA hunting area but just curious if that is another "forbidden zone" like it is below the dam.
        Ive heard shots there so I asked the Guys from the WMA it is hunted. It is NO forbidden zone for sure

Comment

[QUOTE=Phorizt;15245350]Anyone know if the 3000 acre Tarrant Co Water District property along the south boundary(across Ranch Rd) of the WMA is hunted by anyone? I know it isn't part of the WMA hunting area but just curious if that is another "forbidden zone" like it is below the dam.[/QUOTE

Not sure if the Tarrant County Water District guys are allowed to hunt it, but they used to keep it mowed for wildlife viewing only. There’s a side pad off the 488 road where you could park and watch. Some true giants would come out way back along the tree line and you could actually see several hundred deer out there. It was fun to see big racks, with drop tines, palmated and wide racks with a spotting scope. Supposedly, they quit mowing it to save on fuel and labor, but it sure was a great spot to watch them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gom View Post

Not sure if the Tarrant County Water District guys are allowed to hunt it, but they used to keep it mowed for wildlife viewing only. There’s a side pad off the 488 road where you could park and watch. Some true giants would come out way back along the tree line and you could actually see several hundred deer out there. It was fun to see big racks, with drop tines, palmated and wide racks with a spotting scope. Supposedly, they quit mowing it to save on fuel and labor, but it sure was a great spot to watch them.
            Thats the forbidden zone, not hunting there for sure, they are talking about a different section of Tarrant co water district land along the trinity

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
              I think its leased for oil/gas and some hunting too, there is some state penitentiary land on the other side of the river they do the same thing with.
              The state penitentiary land is farther south down the river and they do not lease the hunting rights.

Comment

When is the rut around there? I have this upcoming week and have heard it may just now be starting, yet not familiar with that area except for duck hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by BowJunkie View Post
                  When is the rut around there? I have this upcoming week and have heard it may just now be starting, yet not familiar with that area except for duck hunting.
                  Peak has already come and gone, already seen it this year, warm weather muted it for a bunch of people

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    Peak has already come and gone, already seen it this year, warm weather muted it for a bunch of people

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt...able/#savannah

Yeah normally peak is first days if nov through about the 10th
                    Seems to have been a little later this year but I agree the heat just kept it more low down
                    But I’ve killed bucks on the second round over the thanksgiving week many times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Does anyone have any updates on recommendations? We go out to the South unit this weekend!! Really looking forward to it!

Comment

I would say get out there and scout before the hunt otherwise you will be lost and just angering other hunter if scouting during the hunt. This is not a place to go in with a blind game plan.

Comment

Any other TBH folks down here for the post card hunt?

Said only 24 hunting

Saw one big pig that I couldn’t get close enough to and maybe 4 does this afternoon

Still looking for a good spot to put my stand
                          Off by ourself so not going to bother anyone else

Comment

Any of you make it to hunt?

Have seen several deer

One shooter but when I went to move stand into area there was another couple of guys already setting up. Had seen the same deer

No worries, still have until dark on Sunday to get something done
                            Think most folks are already gone, may be coming back later in the week I guess
                            Being on the ground in a palmetto flat within 20yds of some sows and pigs will get the heart rate up
                            Too thick to shoot

Comment

Already hunted the area once this year. Was there any standby available at this last period?

Comment

Originally posted by HuntorFish View Post
                                Already hunted the area once this year. Was there any standby available at this last period?
                                They drew one card and it had one name on it and that was all

Last looked at the book at lunch and there had been 5 does killed

Spent the morning covering lots of ground and looking for fresh sign

Pretty sure all of the trails that were being used heavily were headed to oaks when they were dropping acorns

I don’t think there are many hunters left at this point

1 other guy camped here and a pair of brothers from Cleburne and another man by himself is all I have seen today

Comment

Working...
                                X