Need to move Huge Safe and storing problem. Need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to move Huge Safe and storing problem. Need advice

I will be selling my house soon and I need to move my safe to my lot where I have a shipping container until I build my retirement home at the bay. I am concerned about the moisture and salt air ruining my guns.
    I finally thought of an idea that would take care of my concerns. I want to run it past the TBH braintrust and see if there is a better idea.
    Once I have a safe company move the safe into my container, I plan to put some guns, gold and silver in it along with two of those dehumidifiers that don't need electriity. Then, I will use silicon to seal the door and the little hole in the back. No air should get in, right?
    What am I missing? BTW, this safe is so heavy, 2 professional moving companies turned down the job because of the safe. I had to get a safe company. Thank you.

SH

I would go with a dessicant to absorb the moisture. If sealed with temperature change any moisture pulled with a dehumidifier might evaporate so might not be as efficient

Comment

I assume by your post that your container is in the coastal region. In that case I'd spend the extra money to store the safe in a climate controlled storage unit until your house is ready. I don't think you can seal it good enough th keep the salt air out of it.

Comment

You can keep your ammo at my house!

Comment

I think you are taking a big chance. I cannot speak to the effectiveness of the non-electric dehumidifiers, but with temperature changes I do not think you will avoid drawing moisture vapor into the container. That coupled with the salt-air, make me think this is a recipe for problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            You can keep your ammo at my house!
            Okay, I'll bring all of it over tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
              I would go with a dessicant to absorb the moisture. If sealed with temperature change any moisture pulled with a dehumidifier might evaporate so might not be as efficient
              The dehumidifier I was thinking about were those crystals that go from blue to pick. But, you got me thinking, and I looked up dessicant and saw Hobby lobby has 5 lbs for $15. So, instead of the dehumidifier, I can put that stuff in a bowl, right?
              Also, I looked into climate controlled storage and for a small 5x5, they want $70/month. Too much over 15 months or so.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                The dehumidifier I was thinking about were those crystals that go from blue to pick. But, you got me thinking, and I looked up dessicant and saw Hobby lobby has 5 lbs for $15. So, instead of the dehumidifier, I can put that stuff in a bowl, right?
                Also, I looked into climate controlled storage and for a small 5x5, they want $70/month. Too much over 15 months or so.
                Those crystals are just desiccant.

You will most likely be just fine sticking to your plan. Instead of silicone, just tape the door and go back and check every month or so to make sure your guns are good and replace the desiccant.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                  Those crystals are just desiccant.

You will most likely be just fine sticking to your plan. Instead of silicone, just tape the door and go back and check every month or so to make sure your guns are good and replace the desiccant.
                  Yep, tape is even easier. I'm kinda lazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    I assume by your post that your container is in the coastal region. In that case I'd spend the extra money to store the safe in a climate controlled storage unit until your house is ready. I don't think you can seal it good enough th keep the salt air out of it.
                    Agree

Comment

Do you have power at the new place? Installing an A/C in the container would be the way to go if so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah it’s anhydrous calcium sulfate (blue) & when it absorbs moisture turns pink
                        It’s re-usable just throw the pink into a container suitable for the oven & heat it for awhile and it will turn back blue

Comment

Originally posted by slabnabbin View Post
                          Do you have power at the new place? Installing an A/C in the container would be the way to go if so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          That would be good but way out there.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                            Yeah it’s anhydrous calcium sulfate (blue) & when it absorbs moisture turns pink
                            It’s re-usable just throw the pink into a container suitable for the oven & heat it for awhile and it will turn back blue
                            I read about it and it seems awesome for this. 300 degrees, right?

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                              I read about it and it seems awesome for this. 300 degrees, right?
                              Yep just need to heat above BP of moisture which is 212 F

Comment

Working...
                              X