Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tundra owners - 2019 - 2020 tranny issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tundra owners - 2019 - 2020 tranny issues?

was reading on the Tundra forum about the lack of external transmission coolers on the 2019 and up trucks. and the affect it will have on life expectancy of the tundras. Was a a long but interesting read.

Folks had apps that read transmission temps etc. Apparently, if you tow with your tundra, the tranny temps will climb and over time will shorten the life of the tranny. Well out of warranty, but way less than what is expected of a Tundra.

There is a cooler kit that is sold on the site(highly respected individual) that would prolong truck life if you tow alot.

For the Tundra folks on here...Have y'all heard of this? Toyota says they have a cooler, but it is a renamed part that used to be a warmer. so legally they can say they have a cooler that is on the sticker for the 2019-2020. It won't be on the 2021.

Apparently, it was a cost saving feature. Me personally, I am disappointed.

Something to think about as I will likely be getting rid of a Tacoma in the next year or so for a tundra. Very interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Heard about this and if you tow a lot I would probably up the fluid changes and maybe get a cooler.

They did a test on YouTube up Ike gauntlet and it was only about 15-20 degrees warmer than the Chevy that had a cooler I think it got up to 220-240 towing up max load and Chevy was 215-220 or something.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
        Heard about this and if you tow a lot I would probably up the fluid changes and maybe get a cooler.
        My 16 doesn't have a tranny district or fill port so a fluid change is a shop job.

Comment

Awesome!![emoji2359]

Comment

They did a test on YouTube up Ike gauntlet and it was only about 15-20 degrees warmer than the Chevy that had a cooler I think it got up to 220-240 towing up max load and Chevy was 215-220 or something.
            I think that utube report on Ike Gauntlet got pulled.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
              I think that utube report on Ike Gauntlet got pulled.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                My 16 doesn't have a tranny district or fill port so a fluid change is a shop job.
                That would be dipstick instead of district. Dang spell checker

Comment

I may be thinking of another one. Reading the responses / quotes on it. Don't look good good for stock Tundras.

I will look into getting an external cooler for my truck.
                  Last edited by Huntindad; 11-10-2020, 11:11 PM. Reason: lack of spelling knowledge

Comment

I'm not sure about problems or longevity, but I've read a lot about it, on the same forums.
                    IMO, Toyota didn't make this switch without a lot of thought.
                    If I'm guessing, unless they no longer care about their brand or longevity, it won't be a issue.
                    Just my opinion .

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                      I may be thinking of another one. Reading the responses / quotes on it. Don't look good good for stock Tundras.

I will look into getting an external cooler for my truck.
                      If you read the responses you will see most are not right.
                      Toyota fluid specs at 212, boils at 527.
                      They dogged that truck as hard as they could, and it was still below Toyotas recommended threshold.

Comment

After Joe gets the gas prices up around$6 a gallon I’ll have to trade my tundra for f150

Comment

I know a guy who drives hot shot.... he just a few weeks ago rolled over a million miles in his tundra ON THE ORIGINAL MOTOR AND TRANSMISSION AND REAR END... none were ever rebuilt along the course of its life...hes kept every receipt for every maintenance or repair made...u think Toyota would have some interest in this vehicle to disect and study it to learn what that kinda milage and wear does to the internals..... at least offer him a hearty check as a trade in for a new one....he has inquired at a few dealers so far and none seem interested by this....I was really surprised at that...not every day a truck makes it a million miles on the original equipment and is still running strong

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                            If you read the responses you will see most are not right.
                            Toyota fluid specs at 212, boils at 527.
                            They dogged that truck as hard as they could, and it was still below Toyotas recommended threshold.
                            Saw the video it was 40 degree day and 10 minutes to 245+ transmission temperature
                            Slapping on a 6k load of feed and driving to Laredo in summer = no buano

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post

Saw the video it was 40 degree day and 10 minutes to 245+ transmission temperature
                              Slapping on a 6k load of feed and driving to Laredo in summer = no buano
                              Perfectly logical .
                              To be clear I don't know anything for fact.
                              Just don't see Toyota doing something that is going to hurt their reputation.
                              They are already far behind the big 3 in sales, so it seems like they wouldn't do anything to harm their reputation...
                              Who knows lol.
                              Maybe they did it these last couple yrs to save money, before they role out the new platform.....?
                              Seems kinda counter intuitive though.

Comment

Working...
                              X