ScentLok OzRadial Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ScentLok OzRadial Review

I owned a Ozonics when they first came out, I’m guessing close to 10 years ago. I got a lot of use out of it and finally burned the Ozone generator up. It would still power up, but it wasn’t emitting ozone any longer. I hunted a few years without it but have always missed it. I’m a believer that Ozonic helps with scent control and has changed the outcome of several hunts for me in the past.

I decided I was going to buy a new Ozonics this year until I checked the price. They are between $300-$600.

I decided to look at other more economical options. I researched the ScentLok Oz on here and a few people recommended it to me, but I didn’t find an actual review.

I found it on Amazon for $180 and decided to give it a try.

ScentLok does not advertise it as a field unit, from what I researched I believe they can’t advertise it as such due to a lawsuit. Anyway, I know what it does and what it’s used for. Of course, you can use it to “dry wash” your hunting clothes scene free, but I think it’s more beneficial as a field unit.

This review came by accident. Even with Ozonic’s or ScentLok I still always hunt the wind and do a scent eradication regiment before every hunt. I have four stands near my house that I hunt, and the wind directed me to my least favorite stand. There hasn’t been a mature buck at that stand all year, but the wind dictated I go there. When I got to the land the wind was wrong, dead wrong! The blue dot is my tripod and the black mark is my feeder, 27 yards away.

Normally I wouldn’t even attempt to hunt it, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. There wasn’t a buck at this stand I was trying to focus on anyway, so I decided to see what happened.

I climbed into my tripod and hung the OZRadial a few feet above my head.

About an hour later three does showed up, 27 yards dead down wind, they were nervous from the get-go. When I say the wind was wrong, I mean it couldn’t be anymore wrong. I could feel a steady breeze blowing on the back of my neck right to them. I knew this wasn’t going to last, it didn’t matter what scent I had I knew it was only a matter of time. If this thing beat their nose in this situation it would be the “miracle pill” for bowhunting. They ate a little bit of corn but decided the gig was up after about 5 minutes. One of them blew and they all scattered. One of them stopped about 60 yards out and blew for several minutes before moving off.

I decided to move the OzRadial out in front of me a little bit. Basically, putting it a little above me and between me and where the deer would be.

After about an hour and a half I had a buck show up. He came right in like noting was up. He fed down wind of me for the better part of an hour. Occasionally he would pick his head up and scent check and act a little nervous. I thought he was going to run off, but he never did. He calmed down each time and went back to feeding. He eventually moved onto my “sucker corn” about 15 yards from me. He was close, the wind was wrong, but he was feeding and calm. If I wanted to, I could have shot him several times.

Just before last light a doe showed up to join him. She was calm and feeding and I decided to take her.

All in all, I am satisfied with the OzRadial. I think it’s about the same at the Ozonics for about half the price. Two things I like about the OzRadial vs the Ozonics is how easy it is to set up. It comes with a lanyard attached and you can move it and reposition it quickly and silently. The ozonics uses hardware to screw into a tree or attach to your blind. Also, the OzRadial disperses ozone 360 degrees and the Ozonic’s is a directional unit.

If used properly it’s a great asset to your hunting gear. I was hunting in the open from a tripod, I think it will do an even better job used in a ground blind.

I honestly believe if I had been hunting without it on this hunt the buck and doe I eventually shot would have winded me and been long gone.

I would recommend it and give it 4 stars, it helps but isn’t magical. Hunt the wind but use this for insurance.

ScentLok OZ Radial EZ Black OSFM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TFBK4L6..._hKZOFb9MJTTAR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bowhunterhelm; 11-04-2020, 05:31 PM.

I’ve used an ozone machine one time and got busted. Couple weeks ago my wife shot an 8-9 year old buck with the wind at our backs and he never noticed. Lol

Comment

I have been using Ozonics for many years as well feel naked if I forget it. I was wondering about the Radial good to hear a positive review.

Comment

Great post, I am a firm believer in using ozone to increase your odds.

Asa side note, you can buy replacement coils for your Ozonics pretty cheap, like $10 or $15, takes about 5 minutes to swap them out. I think I posted a link at some point, if you have time to kill you could search it.

Comment

Great review. Started using one two years ago depending on situation. I learned a hard lesson on dry washing a set high end thermals. The unit puts out a large amount of ozone for a small sealed container and will eat elastic quick. Socks and underwear ruined as well.

Comment

Working...
          X