Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who pulls their kids out of school to hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do, My boys are in 9th, and 11th grade this year,
    its tough since they both play football. but after football season. I take them out if we have a trip planned. They even tell most of their teachers, the ones that understand enjoy seeing them to bring back pictures of their kills.

Comment

I don’t remember being allowed to cut school in order to hunt, but we did go before and after school quite often. Rarely missed church, either, but we almost always went/go Sunday mornings before service.

I can see checking out early on a Friday, etc. if you’re traveling somewhere to hunt.

Comment

Some of my favorite memories are my Dad pulling me out the day before the opener.
        Thanks Pop.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
          Find out what time the kid has to be in school till to be counted present. My daughter is in kindergarten and I can pull her out at 9:31 and it doesn't count as an absence. The roll counts at 9:30 for them
          1030 for our schools! Little man has missed a few days every year for hunting or fishing trips! Fished the first day of the Texas State Crappie championship with us last year on Friday. Weather was going to be lousy Sat and he was qualified for it so why not! He's planning on doing the same this year if his grades are good!

Comment

Absolutely, it's part of the allure of the trips. Obviously they need to be "good" on attendance already and grades in good standing.

Comment

Since middle school my daughter NEVER missed a opening morning of dove season with me....has always been OUR thing, She’d go to class in camo and blood on her hands. Will miss that this year as she is off to college for her freshman year. Glad we shared those moments together.

jrg

Comment

Of course

Comment

Every youth season, this will be her last though

Comment

i missed school every opening weekend of gun season and it didnt hurt my grades once. i even missed fotball games as a starter. coaches were a lil upset but it worked out and im happy i had the time with my dad

Comment

As a kid my Granddad would take me out of school a couple times a year from school to go ride motorcycles with my Uncle.

Dad would take me out of school 3-4 times a yr on Thursday or Friday to go hunting, depending on my grades. He had to ride me for the grades.

For the last 4-5 yrs my youngest daughter, 13yrs now, I have taken her out a couple times a yr. But like others have said she has to have the grades, be all caught up in classes, has to get all assignments for classes shes gonna miss before she leaves school and can only have missed a certain number of days already. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it. I let her know when Im gonna be home from work and when we plan on going and she will tell me if she has a big test, project, missed to many days already or has some event going on that she cant go or cant go till a certain day. She works hard for what she wants like all my kids. She doesnt wanna miss straight days of school and wants nothing but straight A's. So i cant get down on her when she doesnt wanna leave early to go hunt, I just have to wait till shes ready. I do egg her on to leave early so we can get more hunt time and its ok to miss some days of school. So I guess we will see how this yr plays out with timing and getting her out cause I am way past being ready for it.

Comment

My daughter misses at least 15 days a year between hunting and archery tournaments. She makes straight A’s and in all honor classes. No one ever remembers their best day in math class. She will remember all the traveling and hunting we do.

When I sign her out they ask for a reason and every time I write hunting or archery

This year she is on the drill team and missing the 1st big “mandatory” practice to hunt opening weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by rtjh View Post
                          My oldest boy started kindergarten this year and he comes with me to the lease now. I usually head to the lease Thursday night or Friday morning but now I'll have to wait until Friday night. Just wondering if you all pull kids from school to hunt for a weekend?
                          Have your wife meet you half way after Friday evening hunt.

Comment

When my son was in school, he usually ran a fever on Friday, at least twice during deer season.

Comment

Some of my best memories as a kid were of my dad taking us out of school early on opening weekend and at Christmas break, we’d head to whatever lease we had. Usually my grandad was already there piddling around camp cooking dinner. Good times, better memories.

Comment

Working...
                              X