Travel Trailer Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Trailer Tires

This camper doesn't move much, since i use it for work out of town but sometimes take summer vacations with the kids. Needing to put new tires on my 5th wheel, 40' and 16,800 GVWR.

It currently has load range E tires on it which are pretty much maxxed out when you subtract the hitch weight of 2686.

The 2022 model of this camper comes with H rated tires.

How many of you guys run F range or better on these type of trailers?
    Any particular brands you favor?

Tagged.

Our trailer stays inside has less than 500 miles on it but we got a trip in August

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

You are running 16's. In that size we've had good luck with Hercules H901, 14 plys.

On my little camp trailer that has 15's, I am running Goodyear Endurance 10 plys.

Comment

Sailun 14 plys have been good for the dual tandem 40' gooseneck we use to move equipment around with.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
          You are running 16's. In that size we've had good luck with Hercules H901, 14 plys.

On my little camp trailer that has 15's, I am running Goodyear Endurance 10 plys.
          Yes, 235/80R16.

Comment

I run Goodyear Endurance on ours.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
              I run Goodyear Endurance on ours.
              14 ply?

Comment

My 5th wheel is rated about the same but it came with some 17.5 wheels and tires. Can’t remember exactly what they are rated at but since 17.5s are more of a commercial grade, it gives me a little peace of mind.

Comment

Not specific to camper tires, but I’ve noticed trailer tires in general tend to not be balanced. Insist that they be balanced when mounted and you’ll see a world of difference in ride and longevity. The amount of weights needed on some of my trailer tires is shocking.

Comment

Goodyear endurance are about the best travel trailer tire going now.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                      My 5th wheel is rated about the same but it came with some 17.5 wheels and tires. Can’t remember exactly what they are rated at but since 17.5s are more of a commercial grade, it gives me a little peace of mind.
                      Agree 💯. If the trailer has 16’s, buy some 17.5 rims. Overall tire diameter is only about a 1/2 inch different. But with 17.5’s you can get carrying capacity close to 6k pounds per tire. And you can buy cheaper tires and still get that capacity. Rims cost what they cost, but the 16 and 18 ply tires end up costing about the same as 14 ply tires. Maybe a little more, but not much considering you’ve now got double the load capacity. And you will wear those tires out instead of blowing them out. To me, blowing out trailer tires is mostly a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
                        Sailun 14 plys have been good for the dual tandem 40' gooseneck we use to move equipment around with.

https://gosailun.com/MRT/Tire/S637T
                        I ran 14 ply tires on a gooseneck I had that I kept loaded heavy. It was whatever brand I could find because I was blowing tires constantly. Then I bought some 17.5’s to fit those axles (dexter 12k) and some 16 ply tires. That solved it, and the tires don’t cost much different from the 14 ply 16’s. I have had good luck with Sailun 245/70r17.5 18 ply too.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                          Am under my RV right now removing the recalled propane fitting and decided to look at the tires. They are Cooper, load range H, 215/75/17.5 in size, and are rated at 4,800 pounds each. So the tires can carry a maximum of 19,200 pounds!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan11 View Post
                            14 ply?
                            Not sure the ply.

Comment

When I travel I-10:west past kerrviile this is the #1 travel trailer break down I see
                              Folks with multiple blowouts, and massive structural damage from tires
                              I would definitely recommend F or better tires, and reading the made on date, replace any OEM tires before even planning a trip

Comment

Working...
                              X