Wallpaper removal - tips...ideas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wallpaper removal - tips...ideas ?

We need to remove the 23 year old wall paper from our kitchen and just paint it nice & white.

looking through Utube, it looks like the way to go is score the paper and spray an adhesive remover concoction and scrape it off.

Anyone done it lately have any other suggestions, tips & tricks?

know a guy that will remove the wallpaer for 450. I may just go that route, as it looks to be a messy headache if I do it.

I tried to take wallpaper down a few years ago when I was remodeling. I wound up taking sheet rock down and starting over

Comment

If it's in good shape, you can put kilz on it and paint over. If not, pain in arse no matter how you do it.

Comment

We used a steamer. It worked... sort of. It was a pain. You’ll have to texture the wall if you’re going to paint. good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Liquid fabric softener works as good as the remover they sell and it's cheaper.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

We remodeled a bathroom and the contractor was able to texture over the wallpaper and paint it. Couldn’t tell there was wallpaper underneath it when he was done. I can’t remember his process though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought about texturing over the wall paper. Talked to a wall paper guy and he sugestted against it. Kinda a large area and the age of the wall paper.
              Think I will just bite the bullet and let him pull the paper off the wall. I will then texture and paint.

After all the work I am gonna do, the house better sell.

Comment

Like said above, fabric softener, hot water, score, spray, use a good solid flat razor blade scraper. You'll have gouges occasionally and some sheetrock paper off, but easy enough to skim and fix.

Comment

I've never had good luck removing wall paper. Prime and paint and as long as the wallpaper beneath isn't peeling you really won't notice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Dif concentrate. I used this to do our remodel. Mix it strong and use hot water. Do small areas and let it soak before scraping off. Good luck.

Comment

I'm a painter and have taken a ton of wallpaper off, Dif concentrate, Mix it strong and use hot water. score with that scoring tool. Garden sprayer soak, soak, soak it down. If it's to hard to take off, tear off the lose paper, kilz paint the walls then skim coat the seams with drywall mud, sand texture and prime and paint. No one but you and who ever you tell will know it was paper. If that guy will do it for $450 let him but tell him if the drywall gets screwed up he needs to skim coat it and fix it all for the 4450.
                      Last edited by Bassdeer; 04-09-2022, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I would let my wife figure it out. And if she didn’t, that’s ok, cuz..

1) I didn’t care about the wall paper to begin with
                        2) wouldn’t have been all that thrilled with the texturing and painting that ensued after the wallpaper was removed

Comment

well, the texturing and painting will happen regardles.

Comment

If it's tight and that hard to remove just grab some mud and a 6" knife and try and float it out. Of course it will look like hell which is part of the process. Then sand down what you have done and do a faux finish. It's really not that hard.

Comment

We did Kilz and texture painted 15 years ago for the kitchen. Looks like we did it yesterday. Much easier than trying to tear the stuff off.

Comment

Working...
                              X