Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remove fletching glue from carbon shafts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you remove fletching glue from carbon shafts?

I need to clean fletching glue off some carbon shafts. What is the best way, and what should I use to get them like new clean again? Thanks!

They make a vane stripper, its pretty much a $15 exacto knife though. Thats what we use, you DONT dig into the arrow though, you just slide it over the surface.

Comment

Single edged razor laid on edge and run it up the shaft nice and easy. Works well for wraps too

Comment

Zipper stripper

Comment

Zip-Strip, well worth it!

Comment

I wipe them with acetone. Takes any glue right off. I shoot FMJ's now...can't remember if acetone weakens carbon arrows or not, so look into that first. Isopropyl alcohol works decently too if acetone isn't safe on carbon.

Comment

dip them in acetone makes short work of the access fletching and wont damage your shaft, might discolor it a bit but who cares
              -TX

Comment

I scrape it off with a dull knife and make sure I don't cut in to the shaft. Then I hit it a little with a fine grit sand paper. Wipe it down with denatured alcohol. Good to go.

Comment

Thanks guys!!!

Comment

Comment

Pocket knife and clean it with alcohol...

Comment

WOW.........great job, REM! Thank you

Comment

i take it off with a sharp knife first, then dip in acetone, then hit with scotch brite pad, then acetone, then wipe it clean...

Comment

I put the business end in a cordless drill. Makes it real easy to hold onto.

Plus after I get the fletchings off and most glue removed you can use a very fine sand paper to get it all even again (from the small ridges of glues). Simply hold loosely onto the fine grit, and turn the drill. (like an arrow lathe) works real well.

Comment

A few people have recommened the Zip Strip. This is hands down the best tool you could use to strip fletchings and glue. Its a little pricy at almost 40 dollars, but ive used the same zip strip for almost 4 years. Well worth the money. There are other strippers out there that are simply razor blades with a grove in them, but they dull fast if you do alot of fletching work.

Comment

Working...
                              X