Elevated position: shoot high or low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elevated position: shoot high or low?

Ok, so I'm still a little new to bow hunting and I have a question.

When shooting from an elevation position (say about 20'-0), will you shoot high or low? I realize the angle distance is greater than the straight-line distance so I would think you would shoot low, but I have heard that you would end up shooting high (aim low).

So what is the verdict?

I tried hunting out fo the tree last year, but never got an arrow off (so no personal experience). I'm planning to place an arrow this year and I want to make sure I don't miss.

Always shoot low...uphill, downhill, always shoot low...unless you're shooting trad.

Comment

If you are elevated, bend at the waist and aim dead on. You also need to practice shooting elevated. Get in your stand or on your house and shoot your target. If you stand straight up and just lower your arms you will shoot high. This is because you are changing the angle in which you look through your peep. If you bend at the waist everything stays the same and you can hold dead on.
      Last edited by tgridley; 08-23-2010, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tgridley View Post
        If you are elevated, bend at the waist and aim dead on. You also need to practice shooting elevated. Get in your stand or on your house and shoot your target. If you stand straight up and just lower your arms you will shoot high. This is because you are changing the angle in which you look through your peep. If you bend at the waist everything stays the same and you can hold dead on.
        Interesting.......I always thought you held low because the arrow was less affected by gravity when shooting down hill.

Tbar

Comment

Most hold low in case the deer drops at the sound of the shot (jump the string) At short distances and the speed the arrow is traveling gravity will not have much effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
            Interesting.......I always thought you held low because the arrow was less affected by gravity when shooting down hill.

Tbar
            Ain't gravity... it's distance.. Up or down the actual distance is less than line of sight..

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
              Interesting.......I always thought you held low because the arrow was less affected by gravity when shooting down hill.Tbar
              Gravity effects the arrow the same whether you are shooting flat, uphill or down. It is pretty hard to explain. If you drop an arrow at the same exact time one is released at a perfectly horizontal trajectory, they will hit the ground at the same time. Back when I started shooting in the early 80's this was more of a consideration because of the slower arrow speeds. Nowadays with the faster bows it's not as big of an issue IMO. I practice everyday from elevated stands out to 30 and hold dead on. The critical thing is what Tgridley said, bend at the waist not at the shoulder. If you are 30' up a tree and 30 horizontal yards from your target the shot will be about 31.5 actual yards. In most current setups, that 1.5 yard difference is not critical when all other things are considered. I wouldn't get distracted by where to hold, just hold dead on your aiming spot and think about body position and shot execution and make sure your skinning blade is sharp!

Comment

I just shoot for the horizontal distance.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, guys. It will really help. I plan to get on the house soon (neighbors are going to freak!) work on my elevated shots. Right now I'm holding a decent 3-4" grouping out to 30 yards. From my stand, shots should be between 15-25 yards.

I'll probably have more questions as I go....thanks.

Comment

Bend at the waist as stated before, to keep your upper body form and aim for your exit..... And practice, practice and more practice, you'll be good

Comment

Originally posted by Extremebowman View Post
                      Gravity effects the arrow the same whether you are shooting flat, uphill or down. It is pretty hard to explain. If you drop an arrow at the same exact time one is released at a perfectly horizontal trajectory, they will hit the ground at the same time. Back when I started shooting in the early 80's this was more of a consideration because of the slower arrow speeds. Nowadays with the faster bows it's not as big of an issue IMO. I practice everyday from elevated stands out to 30 and hold dead on. The critical thing is what Tgridley said, bend at the waist not at the shoulder. If you are 30' up a tree and 30 horizontal yards from your target the shot will be about 31.5 actual yards. In most current setups, that 1.5 yard difference is not critical when all other things are considered. I wouldn't get distracted by where to hold, just hold dead on your aiming spot and think about body position and shot execution and make sure your skinning blade is sharp!
                      This might help Extremebowman's explanation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ELEVATED.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	23947429

No matter how high (or how low) above your target you are, you always shoot the "flat" distance. Gravity doesn't care if your arrow is traveling down hill, it effects it the same no matter what and it will drop the same amount. If you're 20 feet up a tree, and your target is 20 yards from the base of your tree, your range finder will read 21 yards, but the horizontal distance is still 20 yards so you'd put your 20 yard pin where you want to hit and let it rip.

With any of today's newer bows, user error will be greater than the drop from misjudging the yardage by 1 yard.

Comment

Thanks for the powerpoint Kevin

Not to hijack but since we are on the subject... A couple of times I have seen guys on hunt shows shoot from a tree stand and hit deer almost directly below them, within 5 feet of the base of the tree they are in. I intend on experimenting at the home range, but I have always wondered where do you hold for that?

Comment

I'm with the others who have said, bend at the waiste and shoot as if you were on flat ground.

Comment

Kevin nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Extremebowman View Post
                              Thanks for the powerpoint Kevin

Not to hijack but since we are on the subject... A couple of times I have seen guys on hunt shows shoot from a tree stand and hit deer almost directly below them, within 5 feet of the base of the tree they are in. I intend on experimenting at the home range, but I have always wondered where do you hold for that?
                              This one has me scratching my head too, but I've HEARD you use your biggest pin ... like the 50 yard pin. I haven't tested it, nor can I even try to explain the theory, but that's what I've heard.

Comment

Working...
                              X