• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
    And I would never burn pecan in my house
    Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
      Why?
      Mainly because it's not oak. And also because it doesn't burn very hot. I only burn seasoned oak in my fireplace. If I had a wood stove or something comparable it would be different but I don't. Burning any hardwood in your chimney is fine to the best of my knowledge. These folks talking about burning elm and such is comical

Comment

Mainly because it's not oak. And also because it doesn't burn very hot. I only burn seasoned oak in my fireplace. If I had a wood stove or something comparable it would be different but I don't. Burning any hardwood in your chimney is fine to the best of my knowledge. These folks talking about burning elm and such is comical

I like both woods. Pecan doesn’t seem to smoke as much as oak.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
          Hackberry will burn the house down in terms of throwing embers or burning hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throws embers like hedge. Doesn’t burn any hotter than pecan or oak. Hackberry is like a weed and stays alive by hoarding water. Takes forever to dry. Takes a good year to get right.

Comment

I like both woods. Pecan doesn’t seem to smoke as much as oak.
            Interesting. Haven't had that experience personally. Seems pretty neutral between the two. Now oak smoke is a little stronger, but wouldn't say it smokes more. Not to mention, pecan is a #$%& to split!

Comment

I have burned pecan wood for years before, but it was aged, somewhat, no problem. Just keep the cedar out or you will have fireworks. LOL

Comment

Interesting. Haven't had that experience personally. Seems pretty neutral between the two. Now oak smoke is a little stronger, but wouldn't say it smokes more. Not to mention, pecan is a #$%& to split!
                I haven’t noticed it being any harder to split than oak, and to this day I still use an axe.
                I do split while it’s wet…

Comment

Originally posted by eastover53 View Post
                  Throws embers like hedge. Doesn’t burn any hotter than pecan or oak. Hackberry is like a weed and stays alive by hoarding water. Takes forever to dry. Takes a good year to get right.

Thanks. I have ton of massive ones down by the creek. They are great to hunt from. Guess the dead ones can rot.

Comment

I haven’t noticed it being any harder to split than oak, and to this day I still use an axe.

You should try a splitting maul..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      You should try a splitting maul..

Lol. I do. Wrong terminology.

Comment

Yes, you have to split pecan while wet. It turns into concrete as it cures. I split with an axe myself! A Fiskars splitting axe but same difference.

Comment

My pecan is doing the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotonSlinger View Post
                            My pecan is doing the same thing.
                            Curious if we got it from the same wood lot. Seems as cured as any oak I’ve burned, but I don’t have a moisture meter

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                              I made the mistake of dropping some juniper into a fire pit. It looked and sounded like July 4th.
                              Won't do that again.
                              The kids and I had a grand time with making an inferno in the firepit with the Christmas tree and collected garland. Burning evergreens aint a mistake is you is a pyro.

Cedar elm burns just fine.
                              Ahem. When cured.
                              It burns faster than pecan and oak but not ash.

Comment

Sounds like it is still a little green. Only wood I’ve burned that pops like that is white oak. The best smelling firewood I’ve ever burned, but can’t be burned in the house because it pops too much

Comment

Working...
                                X