Pecan wood popping embers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pecan wood popping embers

I’ve never burned pecan for anything but cooking before, but bought a 1/2 cord of pecan because they didn’t have oak. It pops embers like a sonuvagun every time I add a fresh log or stoke the fire. I’ve ruined 2 pairs of pants, dang near had a “weenie roast” in one pair and several shirts just tending the fire!

Is this normal for pecan? Wood seems to be plenty aged and isn’t green

Originally posted by Playa View Post
    I’ve never burned pecan for anything but cooking before, but bought a 1/2 cord of pecan because they didn’t have oak. It pops embers like a sonuvagun every time I add a fresh log or stoke the fire. I’ve ruined 2 pairs of pants, dang near had a “weenie roast” in one pair and several shirts just tending the fire!

I've burned quite a bit several years ago, don't remember it doing that. Are you certain its pecan?

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

whenever i have burned pecan is usually just flames and smoulders or is rotten by the time i get it lit. i have never had it pop and spark. maybe really green or lots of moisture. cedar is the most popping and cracking thing i burn, but its outside..

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
        I've burned quite a bit several years ago, don't remember it doing that. Are you certain its pecan?
        Yes, I’m positive it is pecan based on bark and wood

Comment

It’s not seasoned enough.
          Needs to dry out a little longer

Comment

we use pecan a lot to smoke with, and never noticed it popping much, must be a little green

Comment

Pecan doesn't / shouldn't do that, but maybe bugs/worms dug a bunch of holes in it and the wood powder inside the wood is causing that.

I burned another type of wood that had wood powder from worms/bugs inside and it did that.

Comment

1) Little Green - most likely case
                2) Tree was struck by lightening - my pops and grandpa swear that a lightening struck tree isn't good for fireplace...will burn the whole house down with sparks, pops, if left unattended. - I don' know....maybe this is not old farmer tell....I do know pops isn't fighting me for the wood off a lightening struck oak we have, saying it won't be burned in his fireplace!
                Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
                  1) Little Green - most likely case
                  2) Tree was struck by lightening - my pops and grandpa swear that a lightening struck tree isn't good for fireplace...will burn the whole house down with sparks, pops, if left unattended. - I don' know....maybe this is not old farmer tell....I do know pops isn't fighting me for the wood off a lightening struck oak we have, saying it won't be burned in his fireplace!
                  on our big BBQ fundraisers (1000 plus chicken halves or pork steaks) we try not to use Oak Trees that have been struck by lightning. our theory is they don't make good coals and that's what we use for putting directly under the meat, not indirect heat or smoke. we always thought they burned to ash before they made good coals. Lavaca / Dewitt county theory
                  Last edited by W E H; 01-20-2022, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Only wood I have ever burned that did that was Osage Orange. It popped so bad could not burn it in the house.

Comment

Probably the B&B variety.

Comment

Look closely at the branches and see if it says "Made in China" anywhere...

Comment

I dont have that problem with aged pecan. Probably not cured enough MrPlaya. You might consider shucking the bark on the rest of your pecan logs to help them cure faster. Also consider drying the next several logs to be loaded next to the fireplace.

Comment

Same with the pecan I've burned. Pops like crazy.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Doesn’t usually. As mentioned Hedge sure does.

Comment

Working...
                              X