Windshield chips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
    I understand that, but do they actually cause problems? I've never had a windshield shatter due to one. Maybe I've been lucky, and yes I'm a tightwad
    By problems, usually a rock chip ends up streaking out.
    The filler usually makes the chip go away to a large degree. But also presents it from that long crack forming.

I guess if it doesn't bother you, it's not a big deal. I can't stand it myself. I'll get a new windshield after a while.
    Kinda like the folks that don't clean their windshield at all. Has bugs all over it. I like to clean mine. But no, it won't shatter in your face if you don't get it fixed.

Comment

I have had 2 chips fixed and covered. No issues and was happy

Comment

I just had this done to my truck. The spot of intact is visible but the surrounding cracks are gone. So far, so good.

Comment

I have had several done. It will prevent the cracks from running when it gets hot or when you slam your doors. Get it done before dust and dirt gets into the chip. It helps. Comprehensive coverage on insurance will cover the cost.

Comment

I haven’t used the windshield repair places but have done 2 of the DIY kits. One turned out flawless and the other wasn’t as flawless but still pretty good. I would probably have to tell somebody it was there for them to notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
              I understand that, but do they actually cause problems? I've never had a windshield shatter due to one. Maybe I've been lucky, and yes I'm a tightwad
              The biggest problem comes when it cracks across your field of view and won't pass inspection. Then you're out the cost of a new windshield.

Comment

I've gone the DIY way as well and it all turned out fine...follow the instructions and take your time.

Comment

I always use a guy locally when I notice a chip or a crack starting. I pay cash! I use my truck at work so it happens more often than most. Still the original windshield on my ‘12. Word of caution about using your insurance. When I was getting quotes for new vehicles insurance around town half or more wouldn’t even talk to me because I had three “claims” within a certain time period. They said I was high risk because the window chip repairs come up as “claims” in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by mudmauler View Post
                    I always use a guy locally when I notice a chip or a crack starting. I pay cash! I use my truck at work so it happens more often than most. Still the original windshield on my ‘12. Word of caution about using your insurance. When I was getting quotes for new vehicles insurance around town half or more wouldn’t even talk to me because I had three “claims” within a certain time period. They said I was high risk because the window chip repairs come up as “claims” in their system.

As an insurance agent for the past 39 plus years, I can tell you what my carriers will do. We can see your previous claims and see just how much was paid, and if it was coded correctly by your insurance claims department, we can tell it was a comprehensive claim. We don’t hold those against you, and would not have a problem writing your coverage. Now your agent might have to explain to the home office underwriter that these were just glass claims, but I’ve never had an underwriter turn down the business once they know it was simply glass repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                      The biggest problem comes when it cracks across your field of view and won't pass inspection. Then you're out the cost of a new windshield.

Dont think the windshield is part of the inspection.

Comment

Check out Clear Vu on west 82nd. That is where I take our vehicles to. Always have had good results.

Comment

For the DIY guys, how long does it take to typically fix a 'chip'? I'm assuming you can get the kits at your local parts store?

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                            Dont think the windshield is part of the inspection.
                            I think you are correct on this. I have had several truck pass with global cracks. :-).

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                              I think you are correct on this. I have had several truck pass with global cracks. :-).

I guess I'm wrong on my post after doing some looking.
                              Back when I learned all this stuff, it was considered obstructed field of view.
                              Times change.

Comment

Be cautious using the insurance. State Farm told me that each of these chip repairs count as incidences against your auto insurance. I stopped doing chip repair and just find an inexpensive windshield replacement company when the cracks or dings get too bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X