What happened to deer hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to deer hunting?

I usually keep my opinion on what’s a trophy deer to my self. Im sought out by people all over to mount their trophy and I never judge one way or the other. The trend is getting bigger and bigger. More often than not it’s about the inches not memories. I get it but it’s a sad trend in my opinion. My best memories were made of family and friends getting together, spending time and creating memories. Don’t get lost in inches, get lost in the experience.

I like both

Comment

I agree. My freezer doesn’t care what was on its head or how old it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
        I usually keep my opinion on what’s a trophy deer to my self. Im sought out by people all over to mount their trophy and I never judge one way or the other. The trend is getting bigger and bigger. More often than not it’s about the inches not memories. I get it but it’s a sad trend in my opinion. My best memories were made of family and friends getting together, spending time and creating memories. Don’t get lost in inches, get lost in the experience.
        These is my thoughts as well

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          I like both
          Yes’r- nothing wrong with this at all

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
            These is my thoughts as well
            Are You thinking AgAiN?

Comment

There is irony in this post.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                Are You thinking AgAiN?
                [emoji15]
                Kinda thinking not wandering[emoji33][emoji56][emoji3059]

Comment

For me, I look forward to deer season every year because of my friends and family I hunt with and the good times we have. We share in one another success.

Do I wanna progress and shoot better bucks as time goes? Sure
                  Would I like to shoot a 150-160? Yup
                  But it’s doesn’t make or break it for me. And I don’t push my hunting ideology on the other lease members.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4x9mzx.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	24670400

I'm sorry but I couldn't help myself.

Your sentiments are not wrong though.

Comment

Agreed 100%!

If and when I shoot a buck, it is a trophy in my book no matter the score as long as it makes my heart skip a beat and starts my blood pressure to rise!

Comment

Im stuck in this rut. Not that ive ever even shot a big deer, but finding a deer I want to kill and then having everybody say ‘hes young’ or ‘hes only 4’ or ‘hes only 115”’ ruins it for me. Im about fed up with aging deer and trying to shoot deer over 120”. My biggest is around 125” and ive passed WAY bigger due to age.

So im with you. Im about ready to start doing it for the memories again and shoot whatever walks out that trips my trigger. Because thats how it used to be and that was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I passed a beautiful 10 pointer a few years back on my place in East Tx… Chip shot. 7 am day 3 of rifle. Would have been the biggest deer I have ever killed and would have been a great memory maker for my brother and my nephew as they were hunting the land that am as well. Instead I felt it needed another year . Never saw that deer again and I regretted that decision the moment it stepped out of sight. I did not regret the score or the antlers or the age or anything stupid like that I just regretted blowing a perfect opportunity for a family memory. We have Decided that this trophy thing is for other people…. We have gone back to hunting for shared memories. That does not mean we are a free fire zone, but… if a family member or a guest likes a deer on the farm then they are entitled to shoot it.

Comment

I agree but you can't mount their memories!!! $$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                              I passed a beautiful 10 pointer a few years back on my place in East Tx… Chip shot. 7 am day 3 of rifle. Would have been the biggest deer I have ever killed and would have been a great memory maker for my brother and my nephew as they were hunting the land that am as well. Instead I felt it needed another year . Never saw that deer again and I regretted that decision the moment it stepped out of sight. I did not regret the score or the antlers or the age or anything stupid like that I just regretted blowing a perfect opportunity for a family memory. We have Decided that this trophy thing is for other people…. We have gone back to hunting for shared memories. That does not mean we are a free fire zone, but… if a family member or a guest likes a deer on the farm then they are entitled to shoot it.
                              This is what I’m talking about. Take time with your family and friends and enjoy the experience. When the trend switched to inches vs. experience, we lost something in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X