How do y'all decide who hunts where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do y'all decide who hunts where?

A little background. Family ranch that my dad owns. Other members include me & my family (wife and 4 kids) and my sister and her family (BIL and 2 kids) Dad gets first choice on stands which is a no brainer. We have struggled deciding who gets to hunt where after that. Currently we just text where we are going but then end up getting hurt feelings when multiple people want to go to the same place and everyone has a different reason as to why they should be able to hunt there. There are many factors we have encountered and I don't know how to deal with those which is why I'm asking for suggestions. The current suggestion is a google doc where we alternate hunts where families get blind choices 1,3,5,7,9 and 2,4,6,8 etc. Some of the issues we have encountered:
    • What is fair? Should fair be equal as in same number of opportunities just for being in the family? In an ideal world this would be the case but the fact of the matter is 1 family does twice if not more work on the place. I tend to think blind choices should reward those that put in the blood and sweat. This is honestly my biggest rub. I may be selfish but why should somebody that hasn't done any work get to choose a stand before anyone that has been busting their *** for everyone (feeder filling, stand set up, camp work, etc.)
    • What happens if somebody sees a shooter but can't get a shot? Should they be able to hunt that blind again? If not, will that lead to people not being truthful about what they see for fear of somebody choosing that stand for the next hunt? Does what you have previously shot factor in?
    • Should adults get priority or kids? The work I discussed earlier factors in here as well as money. I'm a big believer in kids progressing their way up with the deer they shoot and none of our kids are at trophy shooting status in my opinion. And to be clear, I keep saying kids but the "kids" range from 13 to 21 so maybe grandkids to put it generational vs age may be more accurate.
    • I strive for community stands but others think if they bought the stand they have first right to it. I disagree as we have all spent money and done work.
    • How many times have people been? It has been said before that so and so should get to choose first because they have only been to the ranch once this year while others have been every weekend. The people that have been every weekend have done the work and ultimately it is a choice how often you go etc. So I disagree with this but it has been an issue.

I'm sure there are other factors I'm not mentioning and in reality if this is the least we have to worry about we are in good shape. But, I'm interested in opinions on what y'all do with community stands whether it is family or other lease mates and what factors y'all consider when setting up your procedures.

Stands

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
    A little background. Family ranch that my dad owns. Other members include me & my family (wife and 4 kids) and my sister and her family (BIL and 2 kids) Dad gets first choice on stands which is a no brainer. We have struggled deciding who gets to hunt where after that. Currently we just text where we are going but then end up getting hurt feelings when multiple people want to go to the same place and everyone has a different reason as to why they should be able to hunt there. There are many factors we have encountered and I don't know how to deal with those which is why I'm asking for suggestions. The current suggestion is a google doc where we alternate hunts where families get blind choices 1,3,5,7,9 and 2,4,6,8 etc. Some of the issues we have encountered:
    • What is fair? Should fair be equal as in same number of opportunities just for being in the family? In an ideal world this would be the case but the fact of the matter is 1 family does twice if not more work on the place. I tend to think blind choices should reward those that put in the blood and sweat. This is honestly my biggest rub. I may be selfish but why should somebody that hasn't done any work get to choose a stand before anyone that has been busting their *** for everyone (feeder filling, stand set up, camp work, etc.)
    • What happens if somebody sees a shooter but can't get a shot? Should they be able to hunt that blind again? If not, will that lead to people not being truthful about what they see for fear of somebody choosing that stand for the next hunt? Does what you have previously shot factor in?
    • Should adults get priority or kids? The work I discussed earlier factors in here as well as money. I'm a big believer in kids progressing their way up with the deer they shoot and none of our kids are at trophy shooting status in my opinion. And to be clear, I keep saying kids but the "kids" range from 13 to 21 so maybe grandkids to put it generational vs age may be more accurate.
    • I strive for community stands but others think if they bought the stand they have first right to it. I disagree as we have all spent money and done work.
    • How many times have people been? It has been said before that so and so should get to choose first because they have only been to the ranch once this year while others have been every weekend. The people that have been every weekend have done the work and ultimately it is a choice how often you go etc. So I disagree with this but it has been an issue.

I'm sure there are other factors I'm not mentioning and in reality if this is the least we have to worry about we are in good shape. But, I'm interested in opinions on what y'all do with community stands whether it is family or other lease mates and what factors y'all consider when setting up your procedures.
    Draw numbers.

Comment

Draw on the morning of hunt. If I owned it ,that is what I would tell kids. Don't like it go get your own place. I dang sure ain't putting up with no drama on my place. Thats why we bought. Tired of lease drama.

Comment

Originally posted by JFFB View Post
        Draw numbers.
        ^^^ this.........simple enough!

Comment

I use to be on a 12 person 24 blind lease in rocksprings where there was a chaulk board and you wrote your name next to the stand you were going to hunt so it was first time first serve and you could stay in the blind until you decided to leave or hunt a different spot.

Now I'm on a lease where each lease member has their own section that they manage and setup however they like and this method works way better for multiple reasons.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Really sounds like a simple solution to me. First and foremost, you are on a family property. Doesn't sound like a lease to me. Second, I cant agree with the principle of moving up in age of deer thought process. IMO, if the kids are skilled enough with a firearm, the goal should be management. Teach them what a Trophy is for the area and quality of the heard, show them what the management and cull deer that need to be harvested and also the doe numbers and let them hunt. If they need someone with them, then be that someone. I wouldn't even consider letting a trophy walk if I was hunting with my kid. If I knew he/she was proficient with that firearm and that deer made a mistake, Let it fly and make lasting memories. Simple as that. Choose a stand, rock paper scissors if need be, wish everyone a great hunt and mean it and enjoy the time with family. Makes for great holiday table talk and lasting memories. Beats the hell outa hunting on a lease with people you really don't care for.

Comment

Easiest is to just draw numbers.

Comment

Draw numbers before the first hunt and then rotate in numerical order each following hunt. Example if you draw stand 1 for first hunt you hunt stand 2 next hunt and so on. We did this so everyone would have chance to hunt different areas of the ranch.

Comment

Draw after dad

Comment

Write up multiple options and send them out for feedback.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Draw sounds good

Comment

What if you alternate weekends on which family gets first choice? Say opening weekend your family gets first pick each hunt. Then the next weekend sisters family gets first pick, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Wence View Post
                          Draw numbers before the first hunt and then rotate in numerical order each following hunt. Example if you draw stand 1 for first hunt you hunt stand 2 next hunt and so on. We did this so everyone would have chance to hunt different areas of the ranch.

We draw cards and follow the same routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We can usually agree on who hunts where cause none of our stands are much better than the other. We do have a deck of cards on the table and if there is a problem high card get first pick...We also stopped running cameras and that helped out also.

Comment

Number the stands, put numbers in a coffee can. Draw. Simple and no fuggin whining.

Comment

Working...
                              X