X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50-75 cops and game warden
    Really??

Comment

Although I didn't pay, I've been on only one 'paid' dove hunt and my experience was different from yours.
      I went with a friend to his place near Graham. He had an outfitter that was leasing out his property, but it wasn't supposed to be leased for opening weekend. We show up and the outfitter is there and there was a misunderstanding - he had promised some rich guys that wanted to hunt second weekend that no one would hunt opening weekend and he got paid lots more for that.
      My friend was upset but we agree to let the outfitter take us to another property he was running.
      We drove up to a field that was probably 80 acres and there were probably 20 hunters already in place around the field. The place sounded like the Tet Offensive was going on with shots going off everywhere. We thought this was going to be a nightmare and would be a terrible hunt.
      Well, it took us about 45 minutes for all three of us to limit out. It was one of the most exciting hunts I've ever been on.

Comment

Hunting was sparse all over. These outfitters should know that if they have been scouting their fields. Talked to a game warden in Johnson co area and he said lots of hunters were coming up empty.

Comment

Lol when we left the field Saturday morning and walked back to trucks, 2 Wardens were there sittin in 1 truck talking & BS-ing with landowner and they didn't even bother getting out to check people lol....it was that bad this year.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
            Hunting was sparse all over. These outfitters should know that if they have been scouting their fields. Talked to a game warden in Johnson co area and he said lots of hunters were coming up empty.
            I limited out opening day at our place in Krum fairly easy (more focused on cold beers than hunting) had idk 12-15 hunters out a split between friends and clients. Everybody had some shooting. It was ok. Better than last 2 years but nothing close to 3 the past 20. I guess the flyaways are just changing. My friend who is a denton game warden swung by said he checked 40 hunters and one guy had a few birds.

Comment

Your hunt was pretty typical for the outfitters in the WF area. I have hunted with most of them. Now, generally speaking there are good bird numbers up there. But the outfitters have no control over that. Everyone I know is saying the bird numbers are down this year.

Comment

Sounds like par for the course for a day dove hunt. The having to ride with them is kind of odd, but most day hunts go like this:

1. Hunters meet the "outfitter" at predetermined location. Drive convoy of trucks to hunting field. Usually lose 1 or 2 stragglers in the process.

2. Everyone bail out and run for a spot to hunt. Usually a handful of regulars and the outfitters buddies know exactly where to go. Everyone else goes wherever. There's always 1 lazy guy with a 4 wheeler that will run you over to get his shade tree 100 yds from the truck.

3. Everyone commence to sky blast at the 1 lost dove that flies across the field, raining pellets on every other hunter, truck, and structure within 100 yds. IF it somehow falls, 5 different untrained retrievers run around looking for it.

4. After a while the 4 wheeler guy gets bored and starts riding around. Half the field is drunk by 8am and starts shooting at scissortails and dragonflies, once again peppering everything in sight.

5. After it's obvious there are no birds, the outfitter calls the hunt and collects $100+ per man, then makes some excuse as to why it's slow. "We hammered them yesterday, I don't know."

Pretty much sums it up. I will say though, this year has been bad all over. No birds anywhere in any big numbers. Having a few makes steps 1-5 at least somewhat bearable.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                  Sounds like par for the course for a day dove hunt. The having to ride with them is kind of odd, but most day hunts go like this:

1. Hunters meet the "outfitter" at predetermined location. Drive convoy of trucks to hunting field. Usually lose 1 or 2 stragglers in the process.

2. Everyone bail out and run for a spot to hunt. Usually a handful of regulars and the outfitters buddies know exactly where to go. Everyone else goes wherever. There's always 1 lazy guy with a 4 wheeler that will run you over to get his shade tree 100 yds from the truck.

3. Everyone commence to sky blast at the 1 lost dove that flies across the field, raining pellets on every other hunter, truck, and structure within 100 yds. IF it somehow falls, 5 different untrained retrievers run around looking for it.

4. After a while the 4 wheeler guy gets bored and starts riding around. Half the field is drunk by 8am and starts shooting at scissortails and dragonflies, once again peppering everything in sight.

5. After it's obvious there are no birds, the outfitter calls the hunt and collects $100+ per man, then makes some excuse as to why it's slow. "We hammered them yesterday, I don't know."

Pretty much sums it up. I will say though, this year has been bad all over. No birds anywhere in any big numbers. Having a few makes steps 1-5 at least somewhat bearable.
                  Pretty typical

Comment

Awe these outfitter stories are nothing compared to owning a fishing lodge on Lake Fork for 30 years. Fishing guides are the best! BTW we cancelled our dove hunt and ate the lodging after listening to the “guide-speak” from our “outfitter”.

PS. The one fishing guide exception is rocky. He’s gonna tell it like it is. But y’all probably know that based on his TBH posts. Lol.
                    Last edited by asu-indian; 09-07-2021, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I know everybody gotta make money but still pretty shocking to take 4000 in an evening knowing it’s gonna suck. I’ll stick to what I’ve done the last 30 years and just hunt what We own.

Comment

Originally posted by ClearcreekDC View Post
                        I know everybody gotta make money but still pretty shocking to take 4000 in an evening knowing it’s gonna suck. I’ll stick to what I’ve done the last 30 years and just hunt what We own.
                        I agree

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I can also tell you to hold off a few weeks. Everyone goes the first couple weeks, after that the number of hunters and far less and there is still good hunting when the northern birds start showing up.

Comment

Outfitter was a C. ANDERSON was it?

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post

Bingo! I've bagged a couple trophy dragonflies man!

Comment

Mine as well say who the outfitter was

Comment

Working...
                                X