Easy way to strip copper wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy way to strip copper wire?

Cleaning out at my parent's place I came across a lot of 14 gauge wire not on spools. I have stripped larger wire to sell the copper as scrap before because the price difference is about 60 to 70 cents per pound.
    For the amount I have I'm not sure the time it would take is worth the reward. Does anyone know an easy way to do this besides burning or cutting off with a razor blade like I've done in the past?

Fire pit is t5he best way, not sure there is any other way that makes it worth the time involved.

Comment

Get a good fire going in a barrel put the wire on a piece of sucker rod or rebar and hand down in the barrel will burn it right off easy peasy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

A lot of places don’t accept urned copper anymore. You should ask them before you set the fire

Comment

From the grief I've heard dealing with scrap copper wire, I would take some pictures of where it is now and get some paperwork from your parents(if possible).

Comment

Call C&D Scrap on the west side of Houston they are usually pretty good to work with

Comment

Burn it off

Comment

I've tied one end to a post, pulled it straight, and went down it with a razor knife. Getting caught burning can be a felony.

Comment

Freeze it.

THHN insulation gets brittle below zero degrees.

Otherwise, tie it to a post, and drag a knife across it; like mentioned above. I’ve stripped thousands of feet that way.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Burn it , hit with a rake or shovel and them spray it off with water. Looks like brand new wire.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Burning is out of the question. I have probably a thousand feet, but it's all 20-30 foot pieces.
                      I hear the commercials for C and D that they will strip the wire for free, but have never heard what they pay.
                      Where I sell now I get $2.10 per pound for clean and $1.20 for not cleaned.

Comment

C&D strips it for free but only #6 and larger. The smaller wire won't fit in the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Txjourneyman View Post
                          C&D strips it for free but only #6 and larger. The smaller wire won't fit in the machine.
                          Thanks for the info.

Comment

C and d are the most dishonest people in the scrap business. The way to get the most for it is to strip with a knife and have bright clean copper, this will give you #1 copper. If you burn it you will not get as good of a price and might as well sell with the insulation on.

Comment

Clamp one end in a vise. Take box cutter/razor knife, lay it flat against the bare wire after cutting into insulation, start walking backwards holding the wire in your other hand. After that strip is off the rest will peel off. Leather gloves for safety.

Comment

Working...
                              X