IMR 3031 Uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMR 3031 Uses

I have an unopened 1lb can of this I’ve had for about 10 years. I was going thru my inventory of powders , primers ,etc and noticed that I still have never used this powder for anything.

So my question for y’all is do you use this and if so, what have you used it in that you were happy with the results?

Ready , set , GO!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great powder for short barrel rifles shooting small caliber and also for 308 benchrest where ammo is hand measured and loaded one at a time. It's a fine pencil lead extruded powder and don't work well in auto reloading machines since it doesn't meter well.

Talk about finding a nugget. I ran across 2 cans of Accurate 8700 the other day while looking for my stash of H4350. This is powder I was using to reload 300 RUM ammo for my 2 friends that went to Africa. Have had it at least 10 years.

Comment

I've loaded 45-70 and 6.5 swede with it and it worked great find a load in you manual and get after it!

Comment

Just about anything. Off the top of my head I know I have loaded:

30-06
        45-70
        30-30
        And I THINK I loaded some 270 with it.

Comment

Works great in a .30-30.

Comment

.308 with a 155 VLD and IMR 3031 is a good combo

Comment

30-30

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. For y’all that are using this for your 30-30 are y’all running 150 or 170 gn bullets? Or lead cast?

I have an old enfield in .308 that I cut the barrel down to 18” and recrowned it. This can of re-discovered powder is what I was thinking about using it for.

Keep them coming. Again thanks for the input.

Comment

22-250

Comment

.45/70, .30/30, .308, .223, and my new (in 1977) 40xb Remington came from the factory with their test target, and recommended load in .22/250, which was 33 1/2 grains of 3031 and their Remington match 52 grain hollow point. The test target was .29 for 5 at 100. Through the years, I found other loads that were close in accuracy, none that ever surpassed it. They discontinued that bullet many years ago.I've also used it in .250 Savage and .358 Winchester. One of the most versatile medium burn powders in existence.

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                      Thanks for all the replies. For y’all that are using this for your 30-30 are y’all running 150 or 170 gn bullets? Or lead cast?

I have an old enfield in .308 that I cut the barrel down to 18” and recrowned it. This can of re-discovered powder is what I was thinking about using it for.

All of the above 30-30 bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post

You will get most near all of it burned in the 18" barrel as long as you haven't loaded too much. I would be looking for something between 150-165 gr boolits running 2500-2600 fps and work up from there until you get too much muzzle flash. Be careful as it is a fairly fast burning powder. Watch for primer crater and flattening.

Comment

I only use IMR 3031 in my .223. My CZ 527 likes 25.0 grains of it with a Remington 7-1/2 primer and either the 50 grain Sierra Blitzking or the 50 grain Nosler ballistic tip for groups like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Range5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	24633166

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                            I only use IMR 3031 in my .223. My CZ 527 likes 25.0 grains of it with a Remington 7-1/2 primer and either the 50 grain Sierra Blitzking or the 50 grain Nosler ballistic tip for groups like this:

[ATTACH]1022427[/ATTACH]

Apparently, your rifle likes that load combination pretty good. Nice shooting.

Comment

I have some. Used it in a 300Sav, 30-06 (150gr and lower), and 35Rem.

Comment

Working...
                              X