Wasp Apocalypse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasp Apocalypse

Tried to hunt yesterday evening but Wasps were everywhere that weren't there this weekend! Went to 4 different stands and each had hundreds of wasps swarming around them and saw single wasps flying all over the ranch. We always have to kill wasps with spray here and there but not at this quantity! Anyone else seeing wasp activity increase the past couple days? What are some things I can do to prevent them setting up shop in and around blinds? I saw them in popups, popup platforms, quad pods, and box blinds yesterday.

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
    I hang these in every blind, no bugs in any of them

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hot-Shot...+strip%7D%3Aqu

These work great. No issues at all with insect's.

Comment

I set off a bug bomb usually keeps em out a month or so.

Comment

Thanks I will definitely look into those! Do you think they'd work on the outside as well? For example if I stuck some underneath a popup platform or under the floor of a quad pod?

Comment

These never worked for us in Stonewall County, cattle ear tags, bug bombs, nothing. Those evil devils would be back the next weekend. Hundreds more to replace the ones we had killed the week before. We have Paper Wasps where we are at. You can’t even think about getting in a blind until a week or two before Thanksgiving. Except my pop ups or Krivoman blinds, they never really get in those.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaSmurf View Post
            I set off a bug bomb usually keeps em out a month or so.
            These worked a little for us, but had to be the full size, not the mini cans, need enough chemical coating the walls to deter them. But then the windows were funked up and could hardly see through them.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
              These never worked for us in Stonewall County, cattle ear tags, bug bombs, nothing. Those evil devils would be back the next weekend. Hundreds more to replace the ones we had killed the week before. We have Paper Wasps where we are at. You can’t even think about getting in a blind until a week or two before Thanksgiving. Except my pop ups or Krivoman blinds, they never really get in those.
              I think ours are Paper Wasps as well

Comment

You have to try pretty hard to make a paper wasp sting you (unlike a red wasp).

Those strips work great in an enclosed space. Pretty much worthless in an open air blind.

Comment

I just pretend I'm fighting off the hoard, I use my knife and take as many scalps as possible. It is a bit easier in the winter time when they are crawling around instead of flying.

Comment

As it gets cooler, usually in October, the wasp and yellow jackets will start looking for places to get out of the cold for the winter. They will get under tree bark on large live oaks, probably large mesquite, ECT. A house I used to live in for 14 years. Every October and into November, the outside walls of the house would be covered with yellow jackets and red wasps. After seeing that for years, and not knowing what was going on. One year, I had to climb up into the top of the house, I knew a squirrel had been up in the top of the house and down in some walls chewing on wood. So I went up there to see what was going on and found the top of the house was full of red wasps and yellow jackets. I guess with the tin roof, it would keep them as warm as they were going to get, that and all of the heat from the heaters in the house, would go up. So the top of the house, was pretty warm, compared to just being outside. There were litterally billions of wasps and yellow jackets up in the top of the house. All of the rafters, turned out to have wasps and yellow jackets about 2" to 3" deep over most of the rafters and other 2X8s in the top of the house, making up the frame of the house. Then thousands of them flying around.

About the same time, that winter I made that discovery, I was climbing a oak tree, to sit in to hunt and broke off a large chunk of bark, to find a bunch of yellow jackets under the bark. I had that happen two or three times, that winter.

I also found a mostly abandoned Mexican paper wasp nest, decided to take it home, never seen one up close before. Before that nest, I had seen maybe two, but both were very high up in the tops of some trees and were full of Mexican Paper Wasps. But the one I found low in a mesquite tree, seemed to have been abandoned. Seemed, but was not, I found that some red wasps and yellow jackets had moved into it, for the winter. As the sun came up that morning and started to warm things, up, the wasps and yellow jackets started coming out.

So basically all of the wasp and yellow jacket activity you are seeing, is them looking for warm places to go, to get out of the coming cold weather.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                      As it gets cooler, usually in October, the wasp and yellow jackets will start looking for places to get out of the cold for the winter. They will get under tree bark on large live oaks, probably large mesquite, ECT. A house I used to live in for 14 years. Every October and into November, the outside walls of the house would be covered with yellow jackets and red wasps. After seeing that for years, and not knowing what was going on. One year, I had to climb up into the top of the house, I knew a squirrel had been up in the top of the house and down in some walls chewing on wood. So I went up there to see what was going on and found the top of the house was full of red wasps and yellow jackets. I guess with the tin roof, it would keep them as warm as they were going to get, that and all of the heat from the heaters in the house, would go up. So the top of the house, was pretty warm, compared to just being outside. There were litterally billions of wasps and yellow jackets up in the top of the house. All of the rafters, turned out to have wasps and yellow jackets about 2" to 3" deep over most of the rafters and other 2X8s in the top of the house, making up the frame of the house. Then thousands of them flying around.

About the same time, that winter I made that discovery, I was climbing a oak tree, to sit in to hunt and broke off a large chunk of bark, to find a bunch of yellow jackets under the bark. I had that happen two or three times, that winter.

I also found a mostly abandoned Mexican paper wasp nest, decided to take it home, never seen one up close before. Before that nest, I had seen maybe two, but both were very high up in the tops of some trees and were full of Mexican Paper Wasps. But the one I found low in a mesquite tree, seemed to have been abandoned. Seemed, but was not, I found that some red wasps and yellow jackets had moved into it, for the winter. As the sun came up that morning and started to warm things, up, the wasps and yellow jackets started coming out.

So basically all of the wasp and yellow jacket activity you are seeing, is them looking for warm places to go, to get out of the coming cold weather.
                      WOW.... I would have to move houses or call an exterminator

Comment

I've been reading about wasp prevention methods and came across these so far. Anyone have any experience with any of them?

1) Staple Aluminum Foil on the underside of structures (In my case popup platforms/ stand bases) and this will supposedly deter nest building

2) rub bar soap all over the areas wasps are congregating too and this is supposed to repel them supposedly for up to a season (not sure if scented soap would screw up my stands or if unscented soaps would work)

3) Hanging a fake wasp nest, I saw several on amazon with good reviews, you remove all wasps from an area and then hang a fake wasp nest, supposedly this will prevent new wasps from setting up shop because they think that the territory is already occupied

Comment

If the bottom of the food chain is good - so is the top. Great news for you.......

Comment

We use these as well and they work great!

Comment

Working...
                            X