Does Feeder Pen Size Matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Feeder Pen Size Matter?

Got on a new lease this year and have some existing pens in place, but also building some new ones. The pens in place are 32X32 ft squares (two 16ft panels per side). We have an ongoing debate as to whether we need to go larger or if that size is sufficient. I've always gone with the idea of just enough to keep the pigs and cows away, but does pen size impact deer traffic?

Size matters

Comment

Most recommend 10 panels in a circle, 8 should work but the bigger the better IMO.

Comment

I think they do. Last year the deer never wanted to get in my old pens that we’re about 10 panels. This year I made one pen that was like 18 panels and to have deer bedding down in their now. This is in Oklahoma though.

Comment

I had a pen at my place in Sonora that was 2 panels X 2 panels and when I built a new pen I made it much larger. I don't see any more now than I did with the small pen. More deer get inside the pen at the same time but I saw just as many deer with the small pen.

Comment

at least 3-15' panels per side ,jmo

Comment

Bigger is better when you're making feed pens.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                Most recommend 10 panels in a circle, 8 should work but the bigger the better IMO.
                This is what I do as well, but if they've been there a long time the deer are probably used to them and I wouldn't fool with it.

Comment

As all have said, bigger is better, but 8 panels would be my minimum.

Comment

Size definitely makes a difference .. height of panels do as well the shorter you can get away with the better!!

Comment

Yeah it do

Comment

Everyone says bigger is better. I have 2 feed pens both being made from using 6. Have 6-7 deer in them every feeding and this is in East Tx!

Comment

Pic
                          Attached Files

Comment

I think ours are 15 panels. Can't remember for sure. Bigger is better.

Comment

The size of the pen definitely impacts which deer and how many deer will frequent a pen.

Does won't be comfortable around bachelor groups in small pens.
                              Little bucks won't be comfortable around big bucks in small pens.
                              Big bucks won't be comfortable around other big bucks in small pens.
                              And big bucks like other deer in the pen before they come in, at least in daylight hours.

Make it as big as you can afford.

Comment

Working...
                              X