Richland Creek South hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lawsonbj View Post
    Hunted Friday evening through Monday evening, seen deer every sit except Monday morning. Seen Lots of Bucks and not many Doe. I was able to find an Oak with very few acorns on it, but with the wind a few were dropping and that’s what every deer I saw was at. Was able to kill a nice 10 pt if he hadn’t broken a brow tine. Headed back Saturday morning it explore more ground and hopefully connect with a Doe.
    Good luck to everyone headed down this weekend
    Yeah I hunted Friday to Sunday. Definitely more bucks seen than does. I was also able to harvest an average 8 pointer. It was nice meeting you BJ and cleaning deer late into the night.

Also nice meeting and camping with you Paddy3-17. Overall fun hunt.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HuntorFish View Post
      Yeah I hunted Friday to Sunday. Definitely more bucks seen than does. I was also able to harvest an average 8 pointer. It was nice meeting you BJ and cleaning deer late into the night.

Also nice meeting and camping with you Paddy3-17. Overall fun hunt.

Congrats. I’m headed that way in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Blonde_Assassin View Post
        Anyone have tips for hunting Richland Creek South Unit? Super excited to have been drawn for this hunt!!
        I was drawn for this unit too, E-postcard archery the weekend before Christmas I believe. I've heard great things about the unit, don't have any advice unfortunately. They recommend using an ATV though. I don't have one so that's going to make things interesting!

If you're there during that timeframe give me a shout and we may be able to team up... or have some help dragging deer out of the woods hopefully!

Comment

Neglected to come back and post a report. Really well run hunt, folks spread out well for the most part, not a lot of moving around during prime time. Saw a ton of critters. Shot one hog, could have shot a lot more but that gets expensive. Only two shooter bucks rolled through. I sh*t the bed on one opportunity and another was just out of range. Saw an absolute bruiser 10 pt, had to be 5.5-6.5 year old but was too narrow. Was heart breaking watching him stand there broadside for 2 minutes looking around. Saw a ton of young bucks that looked really healthy, 4's and 6's that are going to be really nice deer. Took one fat doe.

Definitely recommend a lock on and sticks if you have it, climbers are tough out there but its what I had.

Camping at the WMA is easy, not very crowded at all, and best of all free.

You don't need an ATV. A ton of accessible spots with just a 4wd and a little walking. After this recent round of rain, that may have changed somewhat but I think still holds if you stay on the north end.

Comment

Originally posted by wellRed View Post
            Neglected to come back and post a report. Really well run hunt, folks spread out well for the most part, not a lot of moving around during prime time. Saw a ton of critters. Shot one hog, could have shot a lot more but that gets expensive. Only two shooter bucks rolled through. I sh*t the bed on one opportunity and another was just out of range. Saw an absolute bruiser 10 pt, had to be 5.5-6.5 year old but was too narrow. Was heart breaking watching him stand there broadside for 2 minutes looking around. Saw a ton of young bucks that looked really healthy, 4's and 6's that are going to be really nice deer. Took one fat doe.

Definitely recommend a lock on and sticks if you have it, climbers are tough out there but its what I had.

Camping at the WMA is easy, not very crowded at all, and best of all free.

You don't need an ATV. A ton of accessible spots with just a 4wd and a little walking. After this recent round of rain, that may have changed somewhat but I think still holds if you stay on the north end.
            Good to hear about the WMA camping. I'm planning on staying there for the GDE hunt that starts next week. Hoping to smoke a bruiser.

Comment

From the poor timing chapter of life, my 4 wheeler is out of commission and for some strange reason my trailer lights are malfunctioning. Thus, I am tackling this hunt on foot. This should make for a grand adventure. I know this limits me considerably, but I talked to the staff and they said they would take into consideration that I am without an ATV when compartments are selected/assigned.

I've never done any back country style hunting so this will be close to that type of experience. I am going to camp at the WMA and go at this old school style. After working through being mad about the above mentioned issues, I've accepted my reality and will make the best of the situation.
              Last edited by salth2o; 11-03-2020, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                From the poor timing chapter of life, my 4 wheeler is out of commission and for some strange reason my trailer lights are malfunctioning. Thus, I am tackling this hunt on foot. This should make for a grand adventure. I know this limits me considerably, but I talked to the staff and they said they would take into consideration that I am without an ATV when compartments are selected/assigned.

I've never done any back country style hunting so this will be close to that type of experience. I am going to camp at the WMA and go at this old school style. After working through being mad about the above mentioned issues, I've accepted my reality and will make the best of the situation.

Wait, I thought there were no compartments this year. Did they change it back to compartments after the first hunt(s)?

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                  Wait, I thought there were no compartments this year. Did they change it back to compartments after the first hunt(s)?

The archery e-postcard hunts are no compartments but they may still run compartments for the rifle hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post

IDK, at the hunts there the say the deer really shy from the ATV's so it might be an advantage not to be driving up to your spot on one

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                      IDK, at the hunts there the say the deer really shy from the ATV's so it might be an advantage not to be driving up to your spot on one

I drew compartment four and I’m running along the creek. I saw a good young eight point this afternoon who hung around for about 30 minutes then walked directly underneath my tree stand. So I think I’m in a good spot.

Dinner is steak, onions, and mushrooms in a cast iron skillet on the old Coleman stove.

Comment

Comment

Well I came home empty handed from this weeks GDE hunt. I saw 15 bucks, zero doe, and shot a nasty old boar.

One buck I saw this morning was a shooter, but it was early and foggy. All I could see was tall antlers and a big body about 120 yards away. About the time I was getting ready to leave this morning this young fella with lots of potential swung by the ground blind I built to say hello. I had another 8 point come to within 15 yds of me as well.

It’s a great hunt and I hope to get to go back someday.

Comment

Salth2o it was nice meeting you at orientation. We also had a good hunt but came home empty handed also. Not counting the medium boar my son shot. We saw quite a few younger bucks that were shooters, but let them walk. If it would have been a little cooler and not as foggy we probably would have seen a few of the mature bucks running does.

Comment

Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post
                              Salth2o it was nice meeting you at orientation. We also had a good hunt but came home empty handed also. Not counting the medium boar my son shot. We saw quite a few younger bucks that were shooters, but let them walk. If it would have been a little cooler and not as foggy we probably would have seen a few of the mature bucks running does.

Nice meeting y’all as well.

Comment

The rut is running late up here in the north central part of Texas due to weather, or .... Anyone have any good intel on the 11-20thru 29th hunt? Is there some rut activity still going on or will we miss it? Thanks for any help.

Comment

Working...
                                X