Need reviews: Browning A-Bolt Medallion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need reviews: Browning A-Bolt Medallion

I'm fixing to buy a Browning A-Bolt Medallion 30-06 with a B.O.S.S and a Pentax scope (unknown power) from a friend.

I don't know anything about these guns. Please school me on the A-Bolt and the B.O.S.S.

I know my brother has a B.O.S.S on his Winchester Mod 70 Laredo in 7mm Rem Mag.

Thanks.

Long time Browning junkie here, the boss is really just a muzzle break unless you do hand loading and plan on spending a lot if time at the range messing with it. I'd say if its shooting good just leave it alone. As far as the gun in general its a nice weapon, a few of my A bolts have been picky on ammo so I'd buy a box and try them before stockpiling a bunch of it. My 06 like 165g bt's but yours may be different. Just give the bore and Barrell a good scrubbing/cleaning and find what she likes. The rest is pretty simple, just enjoy your new boom stick.

Comment

What is a good off the shelf bullet to shoot through this rifle. I don not reload so I must buy off shelf.

I've been using Hornady Spirelock in my 270

Comment

How light is the recoil on a 30-06 with a BOSS? Not very bad without a brake

Comment

Your not going to tell a whole lot of difference on recoil, you will tell on the noise level though...... Make dang sure that Barrell is far outside the blind window before firing it or be prepared for ringing ears for the rest of the day.

I'm sure the Hornady ammo will be fine, just give it a shot. Just remember expensive ammo doesn't always means it shoots better.. Most of my long guns get fed $19 a box Remington soft points and love it. The critters are just as dead as had it been a $40 box

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog7906 View Post
            How light is the recoil on a 30-06 with a BOSS? Not very bad without a brake
            My browning a bolt 270 without the boss will kick the mess out of you because it is a very light rifle. My dad has a browning a bolt medallion with the boss in 7 mag and it kicks less than a 243. Both of our browning rifles like cheap Remington core lokts. You may try some in 150 grain for the 06'. The boss let's you adjust the barrel harmonics by screwing the boss in or out. If you don't like the boss I believe you can get a thread protector from browning and take the boss off.

Comment

No two are going to be the same with regards to ammo preference. Go by academy and pick up a couple different loads. Go back and buy 3 or 4 boxes of what shoots the best. Just open them and make sure they are all from the same lot.

Comment

I had two different ones in 7mm rem mag. They both shot Federal Premiums with one hole groups. They are all different though. The boss reduced recoil considerably in my opinion. THEY ARE LOUD!

Comment

Both my kids & I shoot my .270 A-bolt with BOSS...very accurate when tuned & very manageable recoil,
                  Yes agree with loud shots...

Comment

I have the same gun in 300 wsm and 243 for my wife both with boss systems on them both are very good shooting guns

Comment

7 years later this is by far my gun I've ever owned. It's an A-Bolt II. I have since then traded another friend for a an A-Bolt in 243. Great rifles.

Comment

Great gun. The BOSS system makes it sound like a cannon but the recoil is very light. My only complaint is how loud the BOSS system makes it.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                          My browning a bolt 270 without the boss will kick the mess out of you because it is a very light rifle. My dad has a browning a bolt medallion with the boss in 7 mag and it kicks less than a 243. Both of our browning rifles like cheap Remington core lokts. You may try some in 150 grain for the 06'. The boss let's you adjust the barrel harmonics by screwing the boss in or out. If you don't like the boss I believe you can get a thread protector from browning and take the boss off.
                          Yours made in Japan? If so I have the same rifle. Except, not a lot of kick to mine.

Comment

I use ear pro now days. Already def from my upbringing hunting without ear pro. Hunted with 7mm mag growing up with an older muzzle break... it was loud!

Comment

I've had 3 A Bolts.

I loved the 30:06's without BOSS.

I have a 300 Win Mag with BOSS and I don't care for it. Way too loud.

I like the short bolt throw.

No issue with recoil for me on the 3006.

I have had on Medallion and one stainless Stalker.

Comment

Working...
                              X