No announcement yet.

Honda Ridgeline owner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ridgeline is a Pilot with a bed where the 3rd row seat should be, and optional AWD - not a true 4WD system. My elderly father has one, does what he needs perfectly. It's comfortable, gets about 24-25mpg on the highway, and seats 5. The bed has a couple of neat features, a dual-opening tailgate that makes cargo access easier and a well in the bed floor that is sealed (can be used for a cooler if you want). He went to the Ridgeline from a 4WD Tacoma for the lower step-in height and better seating comfort. I've described the vehicle to him as his "refined gentleman about the golf course" ride, and he thinks that's about right.

It's a niche vehicle, and does what it does well. I've driven it a bit, and appreciate it for it's (many) positive qualities. If you need a true pickup with true 4WD to haul heavy loads with tough off-road characteristics, then by all means get one. If not, the Ridgeline is perfect for all-around transportation with some light cargo-carrying capability.

Stu

Comment

I had a second gen Tacoma for 15 years prior to my grandson taking it this year. Now the test will come with a 16 year old. I presently have a tundra I have had for 9 years. Downside on both the gas mileage blows but reliability is beyond words to explain.

Comment

Just throw some 33s on it, 6" lift, 190 decibel exhaust, and up to 4 stickers.
        Drive line probably couldn't handle 5.
        Anyway, all that should have you making about 600hp at the rear wheels.
        It will probably be just fine .

Comment

I've been driving a Ridgleline for the last seven years - My dad bought it new in 2008 and I bought it from him. Prior to this, I drove full size GM trucks since entering the "real" workforce in 1988.

It's got 170k miles with no issues. I'm pretty easy on vehicles though so that is not a surprise.

Cons:
          -I haven't checked the MPG in awhile but its prob 18-20
          -bad blind-spot on the older models like mine
          -bed space
          -people assume I'm a liberal

Pros:
          -Cabin Space
          -Large, waterproof & lockable storage in the bed, (guns/luggage/computer case, etc)
          -Reliable
          -4wd Although I've rarely needed it on any vehicle it has been used a handful of times on this vehicle most recently to pull a Game Warden out of a ditch about this time last year.

Honestly, I do think it's kind of "goober" looking but other than bed-space it has done everything my full-size trucks did. It easily towed my Tracker boat when I owned it and is still used several times a year to pull a 16' trailer with two ATV's.

If you spend a lot of time in the sand/mud/towing stuff or get your feelings hurt when some says "it's not a truck" don't get one

If you are like me (and most I suspect), and 90% of you miles driven are on paved roads but you still like being able to put dead animals, firewood, mulch, etc. somewhere other than the cabin of your vehicle it is worth considering.

Comment

May be a dumb question, but what makes “4wd” better than “awd?”

Comment

The 1st generation is good. But they started have problems in the 2nd generation. When I was at Honda we had a customer with the 1st generation that had something like 340k miles on it with no issues what so ever. Honda came in, bought the vehicle from him & gave him a new one at no charge for them to take & tear about for inspection reasons. After the 1st generations they started have problems with oil consumption, transmission problems & electrical issues. I have goods friends that work at Honda & they way Honda fixes the oil consumption problem is find out what cylinder is burning oil, knock that piston out & re-ring it. They don’t even have the head looked at or deglaze the cylinder. So needless to say I recommend Toyota’s to all my customers that are looking into getting a new car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What would happen if you put a pallet of corn in the bed?

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                  What would happen if you put a pallet of corn in the bed?

Wheelie?....

Didn't the original Ridgeline mimic the Chevy Avalanche?

Comment

I don't know how much a pallet of corn weighs but I doubt an older Ridgeline would handle it in the bed...not even sure it would fit.

No issues with two pallets of Sod and a trailer though...I've proven that a couple of times.

My son has a newer, stock four-door, 4WD 6 cyl Tacoma and other than being a better looking vehicle IMO, it's no more capable as a "work truck" than a Ridgeline.

I'm starting to look for a new truck and the current model Ridgeline is not one I am really considering. I suspect it would be 100% fine for what I need but I can't get past the look.

The Tacoma 4-door or a 1/2 ton full-size is most likely what I'll get. I'll be giving up cabin space if I go with a Tacoma.

Comment

They’re made for Beta-Boomers and lesbians.

Comment

Thanks team. Looks like I'll be looking for another Tacoma

Comment

🙂

Comment

They are unibody.

No frame.

That's the biggest issue with me.

Honda knows how to build an engine, better than just about anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by mikebyrge View Post
                              I don't know how much a pallet of corn weighs but I doubt an older Ridgeline would handle it in the bed...not even sure it would fit.

No issues with two pallets of Sod and a trailer though...I've proven that a couple of times.

My son has a newer, stock four-door, 4WD 6 cyl Tacoma and other than being a better looking vehicle IMO, it's no more capable as a "work truck" than a Ridgeline.

I'm starting to look for a new truck and the current model Ridgeline is not one I am really considering. I suspect it would be 100% fine for what I need but I can't get past the look.

The Tacoma 4-door or a 1/2 ton full-size is most likely what I'll get. I'll be giving up cabin space if I go with a Tacoma.
                              I loled at the taco isnt more capable as a work truck. Thanks, I needed that

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
                                I loled at the taco isnt more capable as a work truck. Thanks, I needed that

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                                I loled at this, a taco isn't a work truck. It's just a great little 4 wheel drive.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X