Young kids - arrows not sticking in 3D targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young kids - arrows not sticking in 3D targets

Picked up a diamond atomic for my 8 yo son early this year. He’s had fun shooting with it and joined for a few local 3D shoots. About half the time, the arrows bounce out of the 3D targets especially if the core is relatively new. They’ve hit him or others a few times and scared him.

The last shoot, I turned the bow up a bit because I thought he could handle it. He could, I went right up to the edge of what he could draw. And the arrows, bounced back with a lot more force... At the most he can draw they won’t stick on a new core. I turned it back down so they don’t bounce out with so much force.

This is with the included arrows. Anyone found a solution to this? Thought of a few things I could try but figured someone else might have already found a solution to this.

D

sharpen the arrow tips. or use broadhead ferrule with the trocar tip.

Comment

Bohning makes some low profile field tips that taper to a very sharp point should take care of his problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sharper field points are what I did for my daughter when she was just starting out as well.

It worked pretty good

Comment

Replace the arrows that came with the bow. Get arrows with screw in points and use the sharper points as shown above and leave them a little long, it’s amazing how fast they grow! That is a great starter bow for a kid.

Comment

Thanks guys. I wondered if that would do it. I’ve got plenty of old arrows here, I’ll cut some down and put set him up with those with sharper field points.

D

Comment

My son shot that same bow and I know they came with safety points on the arrows, which barely qualify as a field point. Another question is how close is he to the target that it bounces back and hits him? My son never had that problem at 10 yards. If it didn't stick it would only bounce back a max of 5 yards.

Comment

My son is 6. He pulls 20#s. His stick in the targets just fine. However, he uses my old arrows that I cut down and he shoots the field tips pictures above.

I would try heavier arrows and sharper point.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                  My son shot that same bow and I know they came with safety points on the arrows, which barely qualify as a field point. Another question is how close is he to the target that it bounces back and hits him? My son never had that problem at 10 yards. If it didn't stick it would only bounce back a max of 5 yards.
                  He’s probably around 6-7 yards usually. Wherever he wants to shoot really. When I turned it up at that last shoot, they bounced back a good 10 yards - all of the bounces were landing behind us.

I’m slowly trying to move him back, but he likes to hit the bullseye and I want this to be fun so I let him shoot close when he wants to. He’ll want more of a challenge at some point.

D

Comment

Put balloons on the target. Kids love to hear them pop.

Comment

An old shot up core helps a lot too.

Comment

Working...
                      X