Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good info about the oak tree recovery throughout TX

From Texas A&M Forest Service:

"Driving across Texas these past few weeks, you might’ve noticed a significant number of oak trees that have only partial foliage, if any at all, as a result of the winter storm that swept across the state in mid-February.

This delay in the “leafing-out” process for some oak trees has stumped experts and professionals across the state – primarily because there doesn’t seem to be any obvious, identifiable trend. The phenomenon is affecting all species of oak, from Monterrey oaks to post oaks, and Shumard red oaks. Even live oaks – a species known for their sturdiness and resilience – have been incredibly late to grow new buds."

More info: https://tfsweb.tamu.edu/content/article.aspx?id=31600

Baseball size hail sure didn’t help my oaks

Comment

Noticed the same, especially with the bigger trees. My Ash trees we hit very hard also.

Comment

2 of my neighbors have oaks like that. 1 has just one big limb with leaves & other has little clusters of leaves scattered around on it

Comment

My life oaks were doing GREAT after the winter storm... Fresh leaves all over. Then the hailstorm stripped them leaving about 10% of the leaves left and breaking off many of the tiny new stem growth. They are finally starting to leaf out again and I hope no more stress but I think they are all going to be OK.

Comment

I wish I could say my Ash trees were doing good but I'm not sure they are going to make it or not.

Comment

I have a big oak by my house that's been slow to bud. It's coming around though. Had me worried.

Comment

How do you mention the winter storm in the first sentence and then say this: "This delay in the “leafing-out” process for some oak trees has stumped experts and professionals across the state – primarily because there doesn’t seem to be any obvious, identifiable trend. "

Comment

Our two 70 year old Live Oaks are rocking.................

Comment

My Burr Oaks and sole Live Oak were unfazed, but my Ash tree has all but lost a battle with the grim reaper! By the way, how does Ash wood do in a smoker or direct fire grill? What, too soon?

cricman

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                      How do you mention the winter storm in the first sentence and then say this: "This delay in the “leafing-out” process for some oak trees has stumped experts and professionals across the state – primarily because there doesn’t seem to be any obvious, identifiable trend. "
                      Obviously it is freeze-related. But, not all trees have been affected the same way. Some look fine, others partially leafed, others none at all. Size/age of the tree doesn't seem to matter, neither does species. Oaks across most of Texas have adapted to freezes, even hard freezes, but the last one (or a combination of the 2 freezes/snows) seems to have affected individual trees differently.

Comment

Like the article says it had more to do with the time of year than anything. We have had those type temps in December and January without any tree damage. This freeze hit the middle of February.

Comment

Originally posted by West Feeds View Post
                          From Texas A&M Forest Service:

"Driving across Texas these past few weeks, you might’ve noticed a significant number of oak trees that have only partial foliage, if any at all, as a result of the winter storm that swept across the state in mid-February.

This delay in the “leafing-out” process for some oak trees has stumped experts and professionals across the state – primarily because there doesn’t seem to be any obvious, identifiable trend. The phenomenon is affecting all species of oak, from Monterrey oaks to post oaks, and Shumard red oaks. Even live oaks – a species known for their sturdiness and resilience – have been incredibly late to grow new buds."

More info: https://tfsweb.tamu.edu/content/article.aspx?id=31600
                          Good info, thanks for posting, my (North TX) live oaks are slowly growing new leaves.

Comment

I have been losing live oaks for the last few years . I don’t know what is killing them. I’m talking like 40 or 50 trees.

Comment

Lost all of my burr oak seedlings and have 2 big red oaks in the yard that I am worried about losing

Makes me sick just thinking about losing one of them
                              Probably close to 3' diameter at the base

Comment

Working...
                              X