Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
Kas
Ten Point
 
Kas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: pinehurst
Hunt In: Pinehurst-Livingston-Rock springs
Default Problems with The Timer

Worked flawlessly for a few months
Now wonít spin for allotted time, changed 12v changed the batteries in the controller disconnected and reset both motor and the controller
Now I can set feed time for ten seconds and sometimes Iíll get five second feed then the next maybe two?
Has anyone had this issue itís extremely aggravating and too close to season to be having equipment problems


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
Kas
Ten Point
 
Kas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: pinehurst
Hunt In: Pinehurst-Livingston-Rock springs
Default

Ttt


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #3
roysmoke
Ten Point
 
roysmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dripping Springs
Hunt In: Hill Country
Default

Call West Texas feeder supply they have a great warranty on them and will replace it.
roysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2020, 06:37 PM   #4
Kas
Ten Point
 
Kas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: pinehurst
Hunt In: Pinehurst-Livingston-Rock springs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysmoke View Post
Call West Texas feeder supply they have a great warranty on them and will replace it.

Thanks I wonder how thatíll work with me being in Houston


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2020, 06:38 PM   #5
bowfishin fool
Ten Point
 
bowfishin fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Midland TX
Hunt In: Harper Tx, Cuero TX
Default

Stan Chisholm at west Texas feeder will take care of you.

We had 14 of them with some as old as 15 years and theyíve always stood behind them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowfishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #6
bowfishin fool
Ten Point
 
bowfishin fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Midland TX
Hunt In: Harper Tx, Cuero TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas View Post
Thanks I wonder how thatíll work with me being in Houston


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Heíll probably have you take it to a local dealer and trade it out for you, then the dealer can send it back to Odessa.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowfishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
Kas
Ten Point
 
Kas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: pinehurst
Hunt In: Pinehurst-Livingston-Rock springs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfishin fool View Post
Heíll probably have you take it to a local dealer and trade it out for you, then the dealer can send it back to Odessa.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sir he will be getting a call ASAP


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #8
MesquiteBean
Eight Point
 
MesquiteBean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysmoke View Post
Call West Texas feeder supply they have a great warranty on them and will replace it.

This


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MesquiteBean is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #9
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Karl at Ultramatic in Houston will do the same. He's a Timer dealer...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2020, 10:42 PM   #10
rebelbow
Ten Point
 
rebelbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: east texas
Hunt In: tx,ks,ok
Default

c/o the fuse
rebelbow is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2020, 10:59 PM   #11
HYDRO_69
Six Point
 
HYDRO_69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Manor Texas
Hunt In: Central Texas
Default

I emailed them with an issue on a timer not working. It was still under warranty and they told me to send it back to them and they would replace it. It was mailed to them a couple of weeks back.
HYDRO_69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2020, 07:23 AM   #12
BTLowry
Pope & Young
 
BTLowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lindale
Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5
Default

Did you check the motor?

Spin freely?

Old?

Possibly motor causing issue, bad brushes, bearing, etc

Just something to check if you have not
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #13
Rick
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: White Oak
Hunt In: Sonora
Default

What if you hook motor directly to battery? you either have a weak battery (should be pretty obvious) or a faulty timer. It could be a super loose battery connection, but that would be pretty obvious too
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #14
Bowhuntingobsession
Ten Point
 
Bowhuntingobsession's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Braunfels TEXAS
Hunt In: Comal & Bee Co.
Default

I know this isn't helping now but I have a few extra timers on hand so when there's a problem I can just swap it out and figure out the problem later. That way the feeders up and running again and not waiting till the next time I make back out. We run 10-12 feeders and seldom have a problem with the timers. Usually it's bad batteries in the timer but occasionally we have to send one in for replacement.
Bowhuntingobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #15
dbaio1
Pope & Young
 
dbaio1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Humble, TX (Atascocita)
Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntingobsession View Post
I know this isn't helping now but I have a few extra timers on hand so when there's a problem I can just swap it out and figure out the problem later. That way the feeders up and running again and not waiting till the next time I make back out. We run 10-12 feeders and seldom have a problem with the timers. Usually it's bad batteries in the timer but occasionally we have to send one in for replacement.
This is what we do now. As I have learned all brands will have issues at some point. Timers, carmeras etc. While the Timer and Browning cameras are some of the best they eventually.fail too. I have had 3 Strike Force die in the last 4 months. All were at least 5 years old so that is what we are marking as the average life span.
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #16
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

I have nothing but" the timer"on all my feeders. About 3 years ago they had a bad batch. I believe that they have a 5 year warranty. Make sure that the battery in the timer is replaced.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2020, 12:57 PM   #17
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
I have nothing but" the timer"on all my feeders. About 3 years ago they had a bad batch. I believe that they have a 5 year warranty. Make sure that the battery in the timer is replaced.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk



The only thing that AA battery does is keep time and your selections when you unhook from the feeder battery. When the feeder battery is hooked, up it covers everything.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2020, 01:48 PM   #18
talltexasshoote
Pope & Young
 
talltexasshoote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Kent and garza counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
The only thing that AA battery does is keep time and your selections when you unhook from the feeder battery. When the feeder battery is hooked, up it covers everything.
This.

We change them at the start of every season and have never had any issues other than them getting shorted out by racoons swinging from the wires and arcing them to the boxes. Electric tape wrapped at the holes has stopped this and wasps. The timer is the only one we use on our 12 feeders.
talltexasshoote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2020, 04:32 PM   #19
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
The only thing that AA battery does is keep time and your selections when you unhook from the feeder battery. When the feeder battery is hooked, up it covers everything.
That's what I thought but the top battery indicator was flashing. By replacing the batteries it quits flashing. But I know what you are saying.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #20
Brian H
Ten Point
 
Brian H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lampasas, TX
Hunt In: Lampasas/Burnet/Kansas/Iowa
Default

Never had a problem getting one replaced. They back up their warranty
Brian H is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2020, 08:13 AM   #21
SabreKiller
Pope & Young
 
SabreKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kerrville, Texas
Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County
Default

We've got a brand new one that is feeding in the morning, but won't throw in he evening. Anyone had this problem?

I'm going back Thursday. I'll try the reset button and see what happens.

Anyone else tried something different?
SabreKiller is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #22
Trailerman3
Ten Point
 
Trailerman3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Gibtown
Hunt In: Mason,Gibtown,Rocksprings
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
We've got a brand new one that is feeding in the morning, but won't throw in he evening. Anyone had this problem?

I'm going back Thursday. I'll try the reset button and see what happens.

Anyone else tried something different?
Make sure you have the feed rate set for the evening throw.
Trailerman3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2020, 06:41 PM   #23
SabreKiller
Pope & Young
 
SabreKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kerrville, Texas
Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerman3 View Post
Make sure you have the feed rate set for the evening throw.
It's set.
SabreKiller is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 10:18 PM   #24
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

We have 4 different "the timers" go off and throw over 2000 lbs of corn out are we the only ones with this problem

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 10:30 PM   #25
Abctx
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Default

No. A buddy of mine has had a few do the same thing. Has cost him hundreds of dollars in corn.

Apparently, a bad batch made in 2019. He said the serial either starts or ends in “19” signifying year of production. Not sure if that’s a fact or not. Would be nice if they would clarify this, once and for all, so guys would stop losing tons of money in corn, and having hunts ruined.
Abctx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 10:33 PM   #26
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abctx View Post
No. A buddy of mine has had a few do the same thing. Has cost him hundreds of dollars in corn.

Apparently, a bad batch made in 2019. He said the serial either starts or ends in ď19Ē signifying year of production. Not sure if thatís a fact or not. Would be nice if they would clarify this, once and for all, so guys would stop losing tons of money in corn, and having hunts ruined.
Yeah the one that did it was new.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 10:37 PM   #27
Abctx
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Yeah the one that did it was new.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Well, couldíve been ďold stockĒ from 2019, or could be another bad batch.

My next ones will be ďPlan BĒ or Foreverlast. Not saying theyíre better, but havenít heard of any serious issues with THEM, and Iíd rather have one fail and stop working, than dump 600 lbs of corn...
Abctx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 11:56 PM   #28
RascalArms
Pope & Young
 
RascalArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oak Ridge, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
We have 4 different "the timers" go off and throw over 2000 lbs of corn out are we the only ones with this problem

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
HeLLLL no Pat...a BUNCH of folks have had the same thing happen. Do a search...there are several threads on here about this. Heck...here is just the latest one.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=792714
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 08:08 AM   #29
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
We have 4 different "the timers" go off and throw over 2000 lbs of corn out are we the only ones with this problem

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I got one to inspect here shortly.

But I'm a broke Richard so only 200 lbs

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #30
RWB
Ten Point
 
RWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: Leon County
Default

Lots of threads on the timer and their issues with a "bad batch". Used to be the best but not anymore.
RWB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #31
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
HeLLLL no Pat...a BUNCH of folks have had the same thing happen. Do a search...there are several threads on here about this. Heck...here is just the latest one.



https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=792714
Do yall know which ones to stay away from?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #32
RascalArms
Pope & Young
 
RascalArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oak Ridge, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Do yall know which ones to stay away from?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Nah brother....I just know which ones I stay away from 👍😂
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 11:05 AM   #33
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Do yall know which ones to stay away from?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk



There was a thread on here that told us what serial # to look for, but I couldnít find it. In my experience The Timer has been rock solid. The only issue Iíve ever heard of is the batch that causes trouble like the OP is talking about.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #34
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
Nah brother....I just know which ones I stay away from 👍😂

Why you always hating on The Timer? The manufacturer said their was a bad batch, and I know they have replaced them with new ones when requested. Iíve seen no other issues with them. Have you?
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 11:18 AM   #35
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post





Why you always hating on The Timer? The manufacturer said their was a bad batch, and I know they have replaced them with new ones when requested. Iíve seen no other issues with them. Have you?
That's all we have AC on our lease. Probably close to 100 feeders it's only happened on 4 of them over the last 2 years. But 1 time is to much they replace them no problem but not the corn. It's not the bad batch where they quit.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 11:20 AM   #36
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
There was a thread on here that told us what serial # to look for, but I couldnít find it. In my experience The Timer has been rock solid. The only issue Iíve ever heard of is the batch that causes trouble like the OP is talking about.


Same here. I have 2 of them that are at least 15 years old still working great.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #37
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
That's all we have AC on our lease. Probably close to 100 feeders it's only happened on 4 of them over the last 2 years. But 1 time is to much they replace them no problem but not the corn. It's not the bad batch where they quit.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Yep. Once is one too many when you lose corn. I just havenít heard of issues since they corrected the bad units. I use them as well and have for 5 years. I guess any brand canít break down. Even the best of them wonít last forever.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #38
laredoarcher
Ten Point
 
laredoarcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Laredo
Hunt In: SouthTex
Default

I had 2 bad ones. Apparently the ones with serial numbers starting with TC 91 are bad. I called ASF and they are sending me a new one. Already got one. Good customer service. Thx.
laredoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #39
RascalArms
Pope & Young
 
RascalArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oak Ridge, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post


Why you always hating on The Timer? The manufacturer said their was a bad batch, and I know they have replaced them with new ones when requested. Iíve seen no other issues with them. Have you?

Nope...but I ain't in no love affair with any brand. Kinda like the WGI bashers. They've been good to me too for the most part. Some on here bash them all day long. Guess they had a bad batch
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #40
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalarms View Post
Nope...but I'm in a love affair with Foreverlast.

fify!!...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #41
RascalArms
Pope & Young
 
RascalArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oak Ridge, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
fify!!...

Bahahaha...says the master analyst!
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #42
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Oh well I'll keep using them until a better one comes along

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #43
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laredoarcher View Post
I had 2 bad ones. Apparently the ones with serial numbers starting with TC 91 are bad. I called ASF and they are sending me a new one. Already got one. Good customer service. Thx.

This ^^^^^ is the beginning of the serial # I was talking about. If you have one starting with TC91 they will probably replace it for you. Thanks for posting the serial number. I was trying to find it earlier
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2021, 05:05 PM   #44
HYDRO_69
Six Point
 
HYDRO_69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Manor Texas
Hunt In: Central Texas
Default

Well the corn dump happened to me. I had a timer go out, so I went to town and bought a new one from a feed store several months ago. It worked until last week at some point and dumped the entire feeder, which thank goodness only had about 500 lbs in it. I have a replacement for the other timer they sent me on warranty. I just scattered the corn out the best I could being frustrated and in a time crunch. I'll look at the SN# of the one from the feed store my next trip out, but I'm losing faith. I'll check all things out to make sure its not a motor issue before I put the next replacement timer in.
HYDRO_69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2021, 05:42 PM   #45
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDRO_69 View Post
Well the corn dump happened to me. I had a timer go out, so I went to town and bought a new one from a feed store several months ago. It worked until last week at some point and dumped the entire feeder, which thank goodness only had about 500 lbs in it. I have a replacement for the other timer they sent me on warranty. I just scattered the corn out the best I could being frustrated and in a time crunch. I'll look at the SN# of the one from the feed store my next trip out, but I'm losing faith. I'll check all things out to make sure its not a motor issue before I put the next replacement timer in.
That sucks, I need to see what serial number mine is. I will post it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com