Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #51
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Got a big nasty one chasing a doe this way that’ll be hard for me to call him off of.
jooger17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #52
jooger17
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Angelina, Trinity, Houston, Nacadoches Counties, Kansas and Alaska

Target buck in the field after a doe!
Old 11-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #53
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooger17 View Post
Send it parker!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #54
sambo73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: van zandt cty

Quote:
Turn him loose Unk!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
sambo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2020, 04:40 PM   #55
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Choot 'im!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #56
J&M Hamilton10
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Freestone

Here we go
J&M Hamilton10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #57
jooger17
Pope & Young

We’re absolutely covered up. TB still bumping does 200 out
Old 11-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #58
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, Kimble

refresh...refresh...refresh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #59
Redraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panhandle, Out of State

Its go time boys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Redraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2020, 05:35 PM   #60
jooger17
Pope & Young

Got a bullet in one but it’s not good. Mike has an 8pt down. Gonna go recover his and come take a look
Old 11-28-2020, 05:51 PM   #61
Hsbtgarcia
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio, Polk, Angelina, Counties, Oklahoma, Kansas, Africa

Caught up and waiting on an update!
Hsbtgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #62
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

Good luck finding him.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #63
ethic1
Eight Point

In for pics

ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2020, 07:19 PM   #64
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

In for the update. Good luck!
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2020, 07:49 PM   #65
sambo73
Pope & Young

Hope yall are skinning deer!

Old 11-28-2020, 09:49 PM   #66
jooger17
Pope & Young

We got Mike’s recovered and it was a very nice 8pt with a busted G2.

So here’s how it went down with Parker’s buck... We got in the blind and had an absolute stud of an 8pt with a doe at 250 or so. Several deer came in and out and we were pretty well covered up from the time we got there until he shot. The Big 7 rolled out and he was target buck number one. He bullied off the bigger 8 and took over the does. Several does rolled up to the feeder and behind them comes the buck that I said I wasn’t sure I could hold him off of. 16-17” wide, big 6pt side on one side and just a brow and broken beam on the other. On the broken side I couldn’t tell if the tines were broken or just didn’t grow but his skull plate seemed to be cracked because that side wiggled when he walked.

I explained to Parker that it was a 1 buck county and even though the 7pt was substantially bigger he could shoot this deer. After about 3 seconds he decided he’d better just go on and kill this one. He gets under the feeder at 20yds and I screwed up... I’d been preaching to him to center punch the shoulders since we decided to come on this hunt. When the deer got under the feeder, the feeder leg was blocking his shoulder. I said, “pull off of that feeder leg and make sure you don’t hit it.” What I meant was pull forward on the shoulder 2” in front of the feeder leg. Well with everyone he knows telling him to “shoot them right behind the shoulder” and me telling him to pull off of the feeder a little, he pulls back... considerably back and he also hit a touch low. I could tell immediately that the shot was less than ideal and he runs about 40yds out and stops. When he does I try to deliver a helping shot. I dry fired because I had absolutely no intentions of shooting anything and hadn’t loaded a shell in my gun. My gun has also been having some pretty serious safety/ trigger issues to where once you fire it you have yo tap the safty spring to get the trigger to reset. I put it down, grab his H&R .243, and go to eject a shell so we can get his buck killed. The shell won’t eject... It’s locked up in the chamber. I almost broke the blade in my Case knife trying to get the hull out. None of this works and meanwhile the buck bolts and lays down behind a cedar. I tell Parks to stay put and I high tail it back to my truck, grab my AR and head in for a helper shot. By the time I get back the buck is 600yds out in the field and remained there until dark.

After a lot of talk, we decided to go take a look in the morning and see if we can recover the remains. Absolutely devastating for me to have made such a stupid mistake on “helping” him aim off of the shoulder. Also what’s the **** chances of 2 catastrophic rifle failures at the same time. I just don’t think it was meant to be on that deer. Still breaks my heart that I screwed him up on his first buck opportunity.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:19 PM   #67
sambo73
Pope & Young

Quote:
We got Mike’s recovered and it was a very nice 8pt with a busted G2.

So here’s how it went down with Parker’s buck... We got in the blind and had an absolute stud of an 8pt with a doe at 250 or so. Several deer came in and out and we were pretty well covered up from the time we got there until he shot. The Big 7 rolled out and he was target buck number one. He bullied off the bigger 8 and took over the does. Several does rolled up to the feeder and behind them comes the buck that I said I wasn’t sure I could hold him off of. 16-17” wide, big 6pt side on one side and just a brow and broken beam on the other. On the broken side I couldn’t tell if the tines were broken or just didn’t grow but his skull plate seemed to be cracked because that side wiggled when he walked.

I explained to Parker that it was a 1 buck county and even though the 7pt was substantially bigger he could shoot this deer. After about 3 seconds he decided he’d better just go on and kill this one. He gets under the feeder at 20yds and I screwed up... I’d been preaching to him to center punch the shoulders since we decided to come on this hunt. When the deer got under the feeder, the feeder leg was blocking his shoulder. I said, “pull off of that feeder leg and make sure you don’t hit it.” What I meant was pull forward on the shoulder 2” in front of the feeder leg. Well with everyone he knows telling him to “shoot them right behind the shoulder” and me telling him to pull off of the feeder a little, he pulls back... considerably back and he also hit a touch low. I could tell immediately that the shot was less than ideal and he runs about 40yds out and stops. When he does I try to deliver a helping shot. I dry fired because I had absolutely no intentions of shooting anything and hadn’t loaded a shell in my gun. My gun has also been having some pretty serious safety/ trigger issues to where once you fire it you have yo tap the safty spring to get the trigger to reset. I put it down, grab his H&R .243, and go to eject a shell so we can get his buck killed. The shell won’t eject... It’s locked up in the chamber. I almost broke the blade in my Case knife trying to get the hull out. None of this works and meanwhile the buck bolts and lays down behind a cedar. I tell Parks to stay put and I high tail it back to my truck, grab my AR and head in for a helper shot. By the time I get back the buck is 600yds out in the field and remained there until dark.

After a lot of talk, we decided to go take a look in the morning and see if we can recover the remains. Absolutely devastating for me to have made such a stupid mistake on “helping” him aim off of the shoulder. Also what’s the **** chances of 2 catastrophic rifle failures at the same time. I just don’t think it was meant to be on that deer. Still breaks my heart that I screwed him up on his first buck opportunity.

It happens. Use it as a teaching moment. Good luck on the recovery.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:07 AM   #68
jooger17
Pope & Young

I’m in. Just had the dagger buck from yesterday come through for a second. He wasn’t pleased that the feeder don’t spin until 7:15.

Parker decided last night he wants to hunt with his dad in the mornings and me in the evenings. I’ve got them set up in a different county so he still has the green light on a couple of bucks. After the morning hunt I’m gonna go look for his buck again.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:15 AM   #69
jooger17
Pope & Young

Dinner bell just went off and Ol Dagger just slid back in here for a bite. He’s dang sure cool looking!
Old 11-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #70
GarGuy
Pope & Young

You got one in the pipe and this morning?
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2020, 07:44 AM   #71
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
You got one in the pipe and this morning?

I came in with intentions of killing so yes lol.

Dagger has camped out in the corn. A couple of does trying to sneak in and he’s paying them no attention. Several deer on the north ridge but no shooters.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:47 AM   #72
jooger17
Pope & Young

I just noticed why a 7+ year old deer that’s only been seen twice before today in the daylight is all of the sudden such a feeder hog. He has a 2” gash right in his left shoulder. It’s exactly where I’d be aiming on him. Looks like a good Rage commercial to me.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:02 AM   #73
jooger17
Pope & Young

Dagger left, a doe took over, and there’s a small 6 bumping does on the north ridge line.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #74
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
I just noticed why a 7+ year old deer that’s only been seen twice before today in the daylight is all of the sudden such a feeder hog. He has a 2” gash right in his left shoulder. It’s exactly where I’d be aiming on him. Looks like a good Rage commercial to me.
Survivable?

Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #75
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Survivable?

Yessir. He has a slight limp but otherwise good.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #76
Redraider
Ten Point

If he is 7+ then I would think he needs to be shot. He is only going to start digressing and eating all the groceries.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #77
GarGuy
Pope & Young

He be a good client deer.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #78
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraider View Post
If he is 7+ then I would think he needs to be shot. He is only going to start digressing and eating all the groceries.

I already PM’d you the price. What you waiting on lol
Old 11-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #79
Redraider
Ten Point

I can't swing it this year, but if I could I wouldn't think twice. Good luck and have fun. Colder weather should be there. I always loved the week after Thanksgiving up there

Old 11-29-2020, 03:01 PM   #80
jooger17
Pope & Young

Me and Parks are hooked back up in the sane blind as yesterday with a couple of key differences. A: It’s not pouring. B: The wind is howling (that’s a very good thing with a kid). C: My .300WM is fully functional and has plenty of bullets. D: Parker is shouldered up with a Benelli 12ga and 00 Buckshot! We’re serious about it this evening!

Parker is a huge history buff and is crazy about war memorabilia. We had to pass this monument on the way here about a WWII prison camp and it absolutely made his day.

Old 11-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #81
Eastexhunt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby County

Quote:
Me and Parks are hooked back up in the sane blind as yesterday with a couple of key differences. A: It’s not pouring. B: The wind is howling (that’s a very good thing with a kid). C: My .300WM is fully functional and has plenty of bullets. D: Parker is shouldered up with a Benelli 12ga and 00 Buckshot! We’re serious about it this evening!

Parker is a huge history buff and is crazy about war memorabilia. We had to pass this monument on the way here about a WWII prison camp and it absolutely made his day.

Good luck this evening.

Eastexhunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #82
jooger17
Pope & Young

Small buck and a shooter 8 300yds out
Old 11-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #83
sambo73
Pope & Young

Quote:

No luck finding his deer?

Old 11-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #84
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo73 View Post
No luck finding his deer?

No sir. 0 blood or anything else to go by.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #85
Hsbtgarcia
Ten Point

Good luck to y’all!
Old 11-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #86
sambo73
Pope & Young

Quote:
No sir. 0 blood or anything else to go by.
Dang!

Old 11-29-2020, 03:40 PM   #87
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:

Good luck, I dented a bunch of noggins with 00BS when I was a kid!
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #88
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERS View Post
Good luck, I dented a bunch of noggins with 00BS when I was a kid!
As much of my youth that was spent with a shotgun in my hands I can honestly say I’ve never killed one with buckshot. That still surprises me!

3 shooters on the field now, just need them to get interested in the feeder. If Parker wasn’t with me I’d be filling my Gray Co tag right now. One of these boys is a hammer!
Old 11-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #89
jooger17
Pope & Young

Does pouring out of the little corner. They usually play in wheat for a bit and then come get a bite of corn.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #90
jooger17
Pope & Young

When all the deer clear the field except 2 does and a 10 year old wants redemption you by God let him get redemption!!!
Old 11-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #91
sambo73
Pope & Young

Quote:
When all the deer clear the field except 2 does and a 10 year old wants redemption you by God let him get redemption!!!
Heck yea! Congrats Parker!!

Old 11-29-2020, 06:02 PM   #92
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:
Congrats!
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2020, 06:07 PM   #93
Short Mag
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comanche

Awesome! Congratulations
Short Mag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2020, 06:18 PM   #94
jooger17
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERS View Post
Congrats!
Them ol Dbl Naughts is bad medicine!!!
Old 11-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #95
Hsbtgarcia
Ten Point

Sweet!
Congrats Parker!
Old 11-29-2020, 09:09 PM   #96
jooger17
Pope & Young

Wind is blowing too hard for a fire tonight but the Makers is GOOD and Parks is working us up the rewards of his labor!

Old 11-29-2020, 09:32 PM   #97
jooger17
Pope & Young

This boy is getting us knowed up on what you do after you kill one! This is EXACTLY what deer camp is. Anything else is wrong!

Old 11-29-2020, 09:38 PM   #98
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Awesome stuff, Steve!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #99
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Excellent!! He is loving it, you can tell from the pics...and I’m sure it’s a breath of fresh air to the older hunters to see the sheer joy in the young man
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2020, 09:55 PM   #100
jooger17
Pope & Young