Need 308 and 300WM Bullet suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I’m way to obsessed with selecting the right bullet for my new 308 and 300 win mag. The 308 will be used for anything below Elk sized and the 300 win mag will be used for Elk next year. I know I’m over analyzing this but I just can’t come to a decision, mostly over which bullet weight to select. These bullets will probably be hand-loaded as the buddy I’ll be elk hunting with is a reloader. For both rounds I’ve been looking primarily at Nosler Partition or accubond, Hornady Interlock or interbond, and maybe Sierra game kings. I’m sure all will perform fine, just want to see what others prefer!

Rifles are
    Weatherby Vanguard 308 24’ barrel
    Winchester model 70 featherweight 24’ barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jeremy7306; 12-26-2018, 09:46 PM.

I run 165 nosler ab in my 308

Comment

Would be ahrd to go wrong with the Nosler stuff or an all copper bullet

Comment

I’m pushing 178gr bthp out of my .308 and it’s pretty ridicules, they are a match bullet but they are devistating and extremely accurate I’m holding sub moa past 500 yards.

Comment

I like the TTSX Barnes bullets.

165 for .308 and 180 for .300 win.

Comment

I use a 130gn Barnes TTSX in one of my .308s, Nosler 168gn BT in the other. Both are sub moa and lights out.

Knowing your capabilities and shot placement is whats important, master those and any bullet made for hunting will work

Comment

No need for a bonded bullet in the 308. 165 gr Gamekings or Interlocks work great.
              180-200 gr Nosler Accubonds for the 300. That featherweight is gonna kick like a mule. Might look at dropping it into a McMillan or Manners stock

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
                No need for a bonded bullet in the 308. 165 gr Gamekings or Interlocks work great.
                180-200 gr Nosler Accubonds for the 300. That featherweight is gonna kick like a mule. Might look at dropping it into a McMillan or Manners stock

Yeah, I imagine it’s gonna be a rodeo at the range! I don’t wanna change the stock, but are you saying that cause those are heavier?

That’s pretty much what I was thinking, no bonded for 308.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
                  Yeah, I imagine it’s gonna be a rodeo at the range! I don’t wanna change the stock, but are you saying that cause those are heavier?

Not much heavier, but they are designed to soak up recoil and have much better recoil pads. I have a stainless Rem 700 300 win that came with the factory synthetic stock. After 5-6 shots, my groups would open up, because it was popping me pretty good. Switched to a McMillan stock and now I can shoot 20-30 rounds no problem. They aren't cheap, but are worth it to me......

Comment

150 game king for 308
                    180 game king for 300

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
                      ^^^^Can't go wrong right here^^^^

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
                      The MCM is a tad heavier and comes with a really good recoil pad. A better stock design such as a the MCM hunter will reduce felt recoil slightly.

The best way is to install a mercury recoil reducer in the stock or a muzzle break.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                        I like the TTSX Barnes bullets.

165 for .308 and 180 for .300 win.

This.... but I like 150’s for the 308

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                          ^^^^Can't go wrong right here^^^^

The MCM is a tad heavier and comes with a really good recoil pad. A better stock design such as a the MCM hunter will reduce felt recoil slightly.

The best way is to install a mercury recoil reducer in the stock or a muzzle break.

So I looked those up. I don’t quite understand how those are used? Most say their for a shot gun. Are they drilled into the stock? Referring to the mercury recoil reducer?

Comment

I like the 155 vld for the .308

Comment

Yeah they make a model that goes in the rear of the stock under the recoil pad.

For your rifle, you'd want the 11/16" model which will come in 1/2 pound or possibly 3/4 pound in the 3/4 inch if your stock will handle that.. You drill a hole in the stock, insert the recoil reducer flush with the stock and reinstall the recoil pad.

It's called the old standby model on the top of this page.

Comment

Working...
                              X